News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Recommend me some podcasts...

Started by Claireliontamer, May 19, 2017, 06:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Dave on June 15, 2018, 11:57:47 AM
Another BBC prog, perhaps, in view if our recent conversstion, Dfr might like to miss this one - it involves "God" as a telephone helpline.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b5xh1w
I wouldn't presume Dfl has no sense of humour (he is after all a Christian). ;)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on June 15, 2018, 12:25:25 PM
Another BBC prog, perhaps, in view if our recent conversstion, Dfr might like to miss this one - it involves "God" as a telephone helpline.

Still wishing there was a :touge-in-cheek: emoji!

On the emoji front there are getting to many, too small on the tablet screen for me to easily find the one I want out of similar looking ones. Expanding the screen does not allow moving it around, as is usual. I have to expand quarter by quarter.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Dave on June 15, 2018, 12:55:41 PM

On the emoji front there are getting to many, too small on the tablet screen for me to easily find the one I want out of similar looking ones. Expanding the screen does not allow moving it around, as is usual. I have to expand quarter by quarter.

I don't think any have been added for quite a while.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Tank on June 15, 2018, 01:43:47 PM
Quote from: Dave on June 15, 2018, 12:55:41 PM

I don't think any have been added for quite a while.

Only a couple of bed related ones from Silver I think!

Just my failing eyesight and need for a wall sized screen then . . .

Tank

Quote from: Dave on June 15, 2018, 02:01:54 PM

That sounds like an excuse to me!

Dave

Quote from: Tank on June 15, 2018, 02:29:18 PM
Quote from: Dave on June 15, 2018, 02:01:54 PM

That sounds like an excuse to me!
An excuse for what, may I ask?

If it's too darn little for me to see clearly I cannot be blamed for the effect of age on my sight in not being able to differentiate between similar colour-shape combinations. The whole Internet is, for some of us old fogies, becoming a triumph of style over practicality! May look pretty in 10p red on black but I take one look and go elsewhere. Ditto small font, spidery grey, or even black, on white on sites that do not allow expansion.

Sites intended for keen eyed youth - fair enough, though they sometimes apply to me (young at heart as I am) as well. Political and factual sites should really ensure their output is optimal for all. I do not go off muttering, "... bunch of wankers ..." due to their output but due to their egotistical presentation style. No matter how good and clever something is if part of your sighted (more or less) audience cannot even access it without strain or extra technology (magnifying lens) it is a bit of a failure . . .

:grin:

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

QuoteHe was a friend of Charles Darwin. He had correspondence with Michael Faraday. He was a student at Cambridge University and remained there finally becoming Vice Chancellor. William Whewell the polymath, wrote on geology, astronomy and international law and much more. He coined much of the terminology commonly used in science today, such as osmosis, conductivity, and ion. He even invented the word scientist. And amazingly, in what was the first time people not trained in science were encouraged to help gather data, he arranged for volunteers in 650 towns, in 9 nations and colonies to collect hundreds of thousands of observations about tides which helped Britain dominate global sea trade. But few people have heard of William Whewell. Well that's about to change as Sharon Carleton presents this Science Show tracing William Whewell's life and achievements.

This is from the latest episode of the science show, I'll link the main page, other things may be of interest.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/

Bad Penny II

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/birds,-birds,-birds!/9837210

Quote'Bird brain' is sometimes used as an insult. But maybe it is really a compliment! They pack a lot in to their tiny heads. And they have powers we don't come close to understanding. Such as how some species manage to fly from one side of the Earth to the other, and hit a target, be it a beach, or an exact nest. Then physically, how do they cover such immense distances? Now we know some birds are learning before emerging from the egg. Birds continue to fascinate. And you'll be fascinated with this discussion on all things avian recorded at Womad in March 2018.

Dave

I was tempted to put this one in the Philosophy slot . . .

This is an "imaginary" conversation using archive material for Douglas' responses. After a very short time I forgot the "artificiality" of the technique and got lost in Douglas' vision.

It's only 15 minutes but sort of infinite.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pj826

QuoteRobbie Stamp/Douglas Adams
Robbie Stamp has an imagined conversation with his late business partner and friend, Douglas Adams.

The last time Robbie talked with Douglas for real was the day before the author's sudden and unexpected death in 2001. He admits to constantly chatting to Douglas in his head since then - but this edition of Unforgettable is the first time he hears Adams respond in his own words.

In a moving interaction between the living and the archive, the subjects range from the new internet, via the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, to the benefits of seeing the world from the point of view of someone else, or even a different species.

Robbie explains how interested Douglas Adams would have been in the technological hardware and software which allows this new conversation to happen, and imagines the fun he would have had with it.

[ ...]

The guest has no advance knowledge of the excerpts, and the conversation can take unexpected turns, occasionally leading to some emotionally charged interchanges, as living voices engage with those preserved in the archive.

Buddy

I have been listening to My Favorite Murder on my drive to/from work lately. It's a true crime podcast that is equal parts informative and hilarious while still being respectful. Definite recommendation for anybody who is into the crime genre.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on August 17, 2018, 03:53:05 PM
I have been listening to My Favorite Murder on my drive to/from work lately. It's a true crime podcast that is equal parts informative and hilarious while still being respectful. Definite recommendation for anybody who is into the crime genre.

Do you have any 'body' in mind?

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on August 17, 2018, 03:53:45 PM
Quote from: Buddy on August 17, 2018, 03:53:05 PM

Do you have any 'body' in mind?

No, but it's enjoyable so I thought I would put my two cents out into the world. 
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dave

Before I iffered history with humour, this time it's policing with humour:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bkv4f5

QuotePass the Person
It's a Fair Cop, Series 4
Experienced police officer and comedian Alfie Moore with the fourth episode in the current series. 'Pass the Person' deals with the very sensitive issue of how the police deals with people with mental health problems and what they can do if there's a possibility they may harm themselves. When does 'protection' become 'intrusion'. Few could manage to handle this very serious and troubling subject with humour, but Alfie's compassion and genuine concern for those involved means that he can.

As usual Alfie asks his audience what they would have done in his shoes and hears some of their own true stories.

Irreverant but actually full of fact.