News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What Are You Reading?

Started by Arturo, March 15, 2017, 11:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

I've been watching a lot of TV, movies, and YouTube for awhile and I think I am burned out. So I decided to read. Here's what I'm reading; what about you?

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 16, 2017, 12:52:09 AM
How We Learn - any good?

I haven't gotten to that one yet because the swoley Bible is due back at the library sooner than the other two. I will tell you what I make of it though once I get into it.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

The most recent books I read and am going to read.

I was reading at a fast pace last year to catch up on my book queue, now that I have caught up, I slowed down so that I could spend more time on my game queue.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on March 16, 2017, 04:45:22 PM

Wow Davin, I'm truly impressed. I wish I was that systematic.  :P

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 16, 2017, 09:59:48 PM

It's a bit sad I think. It's how I have to function if I want to be efficient and still have enough time to veg out when I need to. Meanwhile, everyone else seems to get by just fine without all that extra work.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Well, I think it's just a tad sad myself - but I am also impressed.

Also, since you seem to like several of my favourite authors, you have also given me some ideas for future reading.

Currently I'm into Chris Nuttall's Bookworm IV. Nuttall is inventive but tends to repeat too many things too often, I know that thunder is usually "high overhead" and that rain comes from "high overhead", don't need both statements in the same sentence - and several other occurrences of the same phrase elsewhere!

Actually this is a writing error other sci-fi and fantasy ebook writers suffer, I only need to be told, "... HUD (Head Up Display) ..." once, I can remember the next twenty times he looks into his "HUD (Head Up Display)".

Is this because so few ebook writers get their work proofread, let alone edited, by someone who has half an idea how to do those jobs? Have volunteered a couple of times but no takers so far! Thought it might be a way of getting freebie books - I cannot read without prooreading and my fingers itch to edit.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

Yeah, I have lists for almost everything. I like google docs so that I can access them from any device anywhere, also, I like googles note app for the same reasons.

I'll have to check out Nuttall, I haven't read anything by that author.

When the author repeats things too often, it also bugs me. I read Atom my Laurence Krauss, and while I thought it was a great book, I felt like he jumped around between the future, past and present too much. But at least I can understand why he was doing it, he tended to repeat things to clarify things, even though I think it was a bit too much repeating information.

For that HUD thing, I think they were worried a bit much about their audience. For self published authors, they have less control about who their audience might be, so many try to accommodate for the lowest common denominator. On the other hand, there was a book I read a few years ago that made use of several acronyms and only explained them once and even by context it was tough to read through. Though a bit better than reading a Clockwork Orange with all that "slang."

Publishers also tend to pay editors more, so they get "better' editors, for self published authors, editors don't often make too much, so you tend to get editors that may not be as good or just has less experience. That seems to be changing though.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Davin on March 17, 2017, 04:04:23 PM

It's a bit sad I think. It's how I have to function if I want to be efficient and still have enough time to veg out when I need to. Meanwhile, everyone else seems to get by just fine without all that extra work.

I know exactly what you mean Davin as I have the same or similar systematic hangups as you. I mean I want to be efficient, but also romantic, and sometimes just laze around and sleep afterwards; not feel so compelled to update my spreadsheet all the fucking time. :'(
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on March 17, 2017, 05:20:46 PM

I know exactly what you mean Davin as I have the same or similar systematic hangups as you. I mean I want to be efficient, but also romantic, and sometimes just laze around and sleep afterwards; not feel so compelled to update my spreadsheet all the fucking time. :'(

This is funny.  :lol:
Condenado Padre Bruno!  :smileshake:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Davin on March 17, 2017, 05:08:06 PM
Yeah, I have lists for almost everything. I like google docs so that I can access them from any device anywhere, also, I like googles note app for the same reasons.

I'll have to check out Nuttall, I haven't read anything by that author.

When the author repeats things too often, it also bugs me. I read Atom my Laurence Krauss, and while I thought it was a great book, I felt like he jumped around between the future, past and present too much. But at least I can understand why he was doing it, he tended to repeat things to clarify things, even though I think it was a bit too much repeating information.

For that HUD thing, I think they were worried a bit much about their audience. For self published authors, they have less control about who their audience might be, so many try to accommodate for the lowest common denominator. On the other hand, there was a book I read a few years ago that made use of several acronyms and only explained them once and even by context it was tough to read through. Though a bit better than reading a Clockwork Orange with all that "slang."

Publishers also tend to pay editors more, so they get "better' editors, for self published authors, editors don't often make too much, so you tend to get editors that may not be as good or just has less experience. That seems to be changing though.

I offered to edit just for the free books! But that is an old retired guy who does not need the money taking potential paying work from someone who does.

Not ethical.

I did think of the reader's "attention span/memory" thing in some of the repeats but HUD pops up so often these days, just about every space marine and future techie has one! The acronym stuff is bad writing IMHO, no matter how good the story; unless they spell a word, especially a funny word, that the reader can latch onto.

Niall Teasdale is another very inventive writer who, for me, spoiled his "Thaumatology" series with blocks of several pages of very graphic  lesbian, s&m and menage a trois adolescent wet-dream sex. Repetitive and boring in the end but always contains things vital to the story. Skip them and get confused later.

I am just an old pedant.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dragonia

Ha ha, Davin, that is an awesome spreadsheet,  I'm very impressed by your organization. I too have a reading  list, but it's just in my notes and it's kind of a mess.
And Father Bruno, hilarious.... I guess one can't be TOO organized! After all, to know where you want to go, it helps to know where you've been.  :smug:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Father Bruno on March 17, 2017, 05:20:46 PM

I may need a new keyboard. :rofl:

Davin

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 16, 2017, 12:52:09 AM
How We Learn - any good?

It's fucking fascinating. I think I found my calling in life. It's talking about memory first off. And second, you know that girl I go on about sometimes? She has short term memory loss which this book talks about in the first chapter. xSPx you gotta learn me some of that neuroscience right NOW!
     Arturo The1  リ壱