News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What are you watching?

Started by Claireliontamer, October 31, 2015, 05:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on November 18, 2015, 03:15:04 PM
My roommates actually linked watching the 700 club news so I watched a bit out of curiosity. Are these people real? Like they actually believe that Christians are under attack in America.
Oh dear!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

Quote from: Budhorse4 on November 18, 2015, 03:15:04 PM
My roommates actually linked watching the 700 club news so I watched a bit out of curiosity. Are these people real? Like they actually believe that Christians are under attack in America.
Yes. Yes they do. Having never been actually discriminated against, but filled with stories about how the devil wants to ruin all the things, leaves them looking very hard for where the devil is attacking them. Because they are not allowed to doubt their religion and there is no Devil to attack them (but he must be attacking them the church says it's everywhere), to resolve that problem, they perceive things that are not attacks, as attacks.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Essie Mae

I've been watching an American series called Fargo, 8/10 so far, two more to go. Comically dark, very dark and not the sort of thing I would generally watch; it's about a gang war, but it is riveting. There is an actress called Kirsten Dunst, very young, but very good. Patrick Wilson and Ted Danson are also in it. I would recommend it.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Firebird

Wife and I have been watching Gotham lately. I'm always been a Batman fan, and the acting is pretty good for the most part, especially the guys who play the Penguin and Alfred. But it's starting to overboard; latest story arc was too predictable and obvious, and Jim Gordon's character has become much darker than the comics usually went. Starting to feel gimmicky.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

MariaEvri

I am hooked with doctor who. I think I am turning into a fangirl

help
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Crow

Detectorists Season 1 and The Bridge Season 3.
Retired member.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Crow on December 17, 2015, 07:57:32 PM

I love 'The Detectorists' and can tell you that Series 2 doesn't disappoint. Finding it quite difficult to get into Series 3 of 'The Bridge'.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Crow

Quote from: Essie Mae on December 17, 2015, 08:18:26 PM
Quote from: Crow on December 17, 2015, 07:57:32 PM

I love 'The Detectorists' and can tell you that Series 2 doesn't disappoint. Finding it quite difficult to get into Series 3 of 'The Bridge'.

Just finished season 1 of The Detectorists and thoroughly enjoyed it, so well shot and directed there were parts almost Wes Anderson in style especially the open day part. Glad I checked it out.

I have to agree with The Bridge it isn't anywhere near as good as the first two seasons and the lack of Martin Rohde isn't really filled by the new person.
Retired member.

Guardian85

Around this particular household all eyes have been on the Womens Handball World Cup. My parents like sports on TV.
Thankfully it ended today with the final, where I take a very small measure of pride that Norway crushed the Netherlands.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tom62

Quote from: Guardian85 on December 20, 2015, 11:37:35 PM
Around this particular household all eyes have been on the Womens Handball World Cup. My parents like sports on TV.
Thankfully it ended today with the final, where I take a very small measure of pride that Norway crushed the Netherlands.

I'm still upset by that ;).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Waski_the_Squirrel

I recently started watching The Expanse on Amazon Prime. I like science fiction, and I always appreciate realistic science. It's not totally accurate, but the creators of the show are making an effort to nod to the science. It seems to have the beginnings of an involved plot: it's clearly based on a book. I have high hopes for it, though there are only 4 episodes so far.

I'm also planning to start the books over Christmas break.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Essie Mae on December 14, 2015, 12:55:00 AM
I've been watching an American series called Fargo, 8/10 so far, two more to go. Comically dark, very dark and not the sort of thing I would generally watch; it's about a gang war, but it is riveting. There is an actress called Kirsten Dunst, very young, but very good. Patrick Wilson and Ted Danson are also in it. I would recommend it.

Sounds like season 3.  If you haven't seen season 1 yet, I can strongly recommend it-- Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton as a hapless shlub and a contract killer respectively.  Wonderful chemistry.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Crow

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 23, 2015, 02:51:54 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on December 14, 2015, 12:55:00 AM

Sounds like season 3.  If you haven't seen season 1 yet, I can strongly recommend it-- Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton as a hapless shlub and a contract killer respectively.  Wonderful chemistry.

Also watch the origional film if you havn't. That is one of my favourites.

Decided to start watching Broadchurch and so far it is really good, only two episodes in though.
Retired member.

Sandra Craft

A Christmas Carol, the 1951 version with Alaistair Sim.  I think I like this one even better than the George C. Scott version.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany