News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Good Films.

Started by Tank, October 17, 2015, 10:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

This is a dificult watch. But surprisingly good.

The Disappearance of Alice Creed
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Claireliontamer

I've just been to see 'The Danish Girl'. Absolutely incredible film, I haven't cried like that in a cinema before.

Sandra Craft

My favorite, no surprise I'm sure, is 84 Charing Cross Road.  Also very fond of Paradise Road and Shutter Island (tho it took me awhile to warm up to the latter).
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Crow

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 05, 2016, 02:31:55 AM
Shutter Island

The film I guessed the story by watching the TV trailer. I dislike films with a twist as I have seen every single one of them coming that I can remember, it's why I dislike everything by Christopher Nolan as you can often see it within the first 20 mins, sometimes sooner. Watch a prolonged dialogue or something out of kilter with everything else and that is going to be the twist. Interstellar pissed me off the most as the second I heard wormhole I knew what the bookshelf bit was going to be about even though it was done differently than what I expected.

My favourite of those kind of films is The Skin I Live In, not going to be to the taste of many as it is quite a disturbing film, it is slow and even though categorised as a thriller is clearly horror, plus it is in Spanish and many don't like to read and watch at the same time. The best thing about it (besides the fantastic direction) is the reveal, there is none. It expects the viewer to have understood what was happening and as the story moves forwards you are more horror stricken at what has been done to the person.
Retired member.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Crow on January 05, 2016, 03:26:30 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 05, 2016, 02:31:55 AM
Shutter Island

The film I guessed the story by watching the TV trailer. I dislike films with a twist as I have seen every single one of them coming that I can remember, it's why I dislike everything by Christopher Nolan as you can often see it within the first 20 mins, sometimes sooner.

I liked the philosophical question they left at the end: is it better to die as a good man or live as a monster?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Velma

One movie I love is Raise the Red Lantern. It follows a 19 year old woman who is forced to become the fourth wife of the lord of a powerful family in 1920's China. It too can be a bit difficult to watch.

Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Biggus Dickus

I watched The Revenant this weekend with my son, and we both enjoyed it immensely...to start off it is visually stunning, with some superb camera work and visuals. My understanding is the entire movie was shot utilizing only natural light, or light that would have been available during the time frame the movie was shot in, such as a fire, kerosene lanterns, torches...I was also pleased to see that they didn't utilize any CGI in the film, which makes it much more realistic.

I also didn't find it too over the top with the action scenes, as similar movies are often times more Rambo than reality.

Reminded me a bit of the movie Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford...also interesting how little Leonardo's character actually speaks during the movie due to an early injury to his character.

The storyline follows Crow description earlier in this thread, which some folks might find it a bit gruesome or gory in it's depictions of violence, but it didn't feel like they were using the depictions of physical violence to shock anyone, but rather simply tell the story and describe the hardships faced by the folks at this time.

Music score was quite good as well.

I give it 4 out of 5 digits. ;D

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Biggus Dickus

I finally got around to watching the movie "Spotlight" tonight.

I'll start of by saying this is a extremely well written and scripted movie, with great directing, and some outstanding acting especially from Mark Ruffalo
I can't think of a better one in it's class (Investigative Biological Drama) It has been compared to "All the Presidents Men", or at least its generational equivalent, but I will have to re-watch the latter as it has been many years since I last saw it for me to give a fair comparison.

Different movies I have watched have over the years have brought to me varying emotional states, such as joy, sadness, grief, even feelings of love and lust, but no movie I can recall has ever made me feel as angered as I felt at times watching this film.

If you haven't seen it, you need to watch it.

Biggus Dickus

I really can't wait to see the movie "Miles Ahead", directed and starring Don Cheadle as Miles, also staring Ewan McGregor, Michael Stuhlbarg, and Keith Stanfield.

i have more music by Miles than any other group in my collection, to include CD's and digital recordings. Some years ago I refinished an old china cabinet that belong to my Grandmother as a place to store our CD's. After I was finished with the piece and had placed all the CD's in it I showed Socorro how I had arranged the CD's,  when I was done she pointed at the middle shelf and said what are all those, and I said, "Oh, that shelf is for Miles (Plus some other select jazz).

I've gone through periods were he was all I could listen to, for day's and day's on end. Even now I use some of his music to practice yoga and meditate with.

Anyway here is the trailer, and if anyone has seen the movie I would be interested in hearing your opinion.

No one

gentle_dissident

About 1/2 thru Elf. Pile of tears, snot, and laughter.

gentle_dissident

Just watched Moonrise Kingdom for the 1st time, thanks to my GF.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1748122/

Brilliant.

Kekerusey

Quote from: Crow on January 05, 2016, 03:26:30 AMit's why I dislike everything by Christopher Nolan

Ye Gads, I'm not alone!🙌

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Tank

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2

Definitely a big screen film. Super character interaction. Basic story very well done. Excellent 'feel good' film.

I am groot!!!

Oh and the special effects are so good you just don't notice them, and given the whole film is special effects that very impressive indeed.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.