News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on June 18, 2017, 09:24:46 PM
All these old ladies who live in my building silently judging me before they get to know me...I'm seething in anger... :rant1: hate them

I tend to agree with Tank. Even if you only think those old ladies are against you you will exhibit small signs, that others will "read" unconsciously, that will cause a kind of feedback system. You, in turn, will have your thoughts reinforced by their, understandable, concerns about having a young man in their "geriatric" community.

Prejudice feeds on itself.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Firebird

Feel like unloading some crap off my chest, nowhere better than here, amirite? I more or less disappeared for a few months, only because life has been busy in a good way. Firechicklet is almost 8 months old and has already started crawling, eating solid food, and generally taking up all of our free time, but it's been a blast. She's a happy, energetic little girl with a huge smile. She was determined to crawl, even when she kept going backward instead (transmission issues?), even when she yelled out in anger, she refused to give up. And now that she can, it's not enough for her; she's trying to climb everything and stand on her own. She's my kid and I'm biased as all hell, but dammit she's going places.
Ok, so all is well, right? Sure, in my immediate sphere. Mrs. Firebird and I are great, we're visiting her folks right now in fact. But I'm finding myself feeling so fucking cynical about the world and society in general. And now that's turning into little bouts of terror as I realize I have to protect this girl from the worst of it without suffocating her and letting her grow up to become her own person. How? I'm trying to contribute however I can. I donate money to non-profits to fight what Drumpf is doing and have gone to more protests in the past 6 months than I had in the previous 15 years. But I'm just one person in this country filled with selfish assholes who think it's fine to let people die from poisonous air, lack of health insurance, or guns because they let rich jackasses brainwash them. How am I supposed to explain this to her? How do I show her how to cope and navigate this world when most people in this world disappoint and annoy me? How do I cope when I'm an atheist living in a place where saying "Jesus forgives me" lets the worst people off the hook in the eyes of so many little sheep, rather than giving them the ass-kicking they deserve? Lately my trend has been to shrink the circle of people I communicate with because I'm just tired of dealing with humanity in general. I've been staying off facebook for that reason too. I have people I was friends with in high school trying to get back in touch with me, and I'm mostly annoyed they're trying and want them to just go away.
I feel like I'm turning into an old man telling people to stay off my virtual lawn so I can encase my little universe into a bubble, and it's not healthy, but it feels safer right now too.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

hermes2015

All these old ladies who live in my building silently judging me before they get to know me...I'm seething in anger... :rant1: hate them

Perhaps you should go and introduce yourself to them with a big smile and even offer to help them if they ever need anything.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Firebird on June 19, 2017, 08:52:04 AM
Feel like unloading some crap off my chest, nowhere better than here, amirite? I more or less disappeared for a few months, only because life has been busy in a good way. Firechicklet is almost 8 months old and has already started crawling, eating solid food, and generally taking up all of our free time, but it's been a blast. She's a happy, energetic little girl with a huge smile. She was determined to crawl, even when she kept going backward instead (transmission issues?), even when she yelled out in anger, she refused to give up. And now that she can, it's not enough for her; she's trying to climb everything and stand on her own. She's my kid and I'm biased as all hell, but dammit she's going places.
Ok, so all is well, right? Sure, in my immediate sphere. Mrs. Firebird and I are great, we're visiting her folks right now in fact. But I'm finding myself feeling so fucking cynical about the world and society in general. And now that's turning into little bouts of terror as I realize I have to protect this girl from the worst of it without suffocating her and letting her grow up to become her own person. How? I'm trying to contribute however I can. I donate money to non-profits to fight what Drumpf is doing and have gone to more protests in the past 6 months than I had in the previous 15 years. But I'm just one person in this country filled with selfish assholes who think it's fine to let people die from poisonous air, lack of health insurance, or guns because they let rich jackasses brainwash them. How am I supposed to explain this to her? How do I show her how to cope and navigate this world when most people in this world disappoint and annoy me? How do I cope when I'm an atheist living in a place where saying "Jesus forgives me" lets the worst people off the hook in the eyes of so many little sheep, rather than giving them the ass-kicking they deserve? Lately my trend has been to shrink the circle of people I communicate with because I'm just tired of dealing with humanity in general. I've been staying off facebook for that reason too. I have people I was friends with in high school trying to get back in touch with me, and I'm mostly annoyed they're trying and want them to just go away.
I feel like I'm turning into an old man telling people to stay off my virtual lawn so I can encase my little universe into a bubble, and it's not healthy, but it feels safer right now too.

I have no advice but you have put into words how I feel a lot of the time.  I hate to tell you this but it gets harder as they get older and start asking questions about world events.  I try not to watch the news channel in front of scamp as it's all full of doom and gloom and I want her to enjoy her childhood but inevitably she picks up somethings which have happened.  It also scares me the social media world she is growing up in and I worry about when she's a teenager and on social media herself.

I think all we can do is try and raise resilient well rounded girls who can face the worlds problems as well as possible. 

Firebird

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 19, 2017, 09:04:52 AM
I hate to tell you this but it gets harder as they get older and start asking questions about world events.  I try not to watch the news channel in front of scamp as it's all full of doom and gloom and I want her to enjoy her childhood but inevitably she picks up somethings which have happened. 
No surprise there. How blunt and honest are you with her? Do you tell her the unvarnished truth or do you hold back certain things?

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 19, 2017, 09:04:52 AM
I think all we can do is try and raise resilient well rounded girls who can face the worlds problems as well as possible.
Indeed. I love being a parent, but I can also understand why it's not for everyone. Some of the challenges are daunting.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Firebird on June 19, 2017, 09:36:42 AM
How blunt and honest are you with her? Do you tell her the unvarnished truth or do you hold back certain things?

It really depends on the situation.  The problem is that she loves gore and is fascinated by medical things so she wants to know details of injuries etc but I do tone it down for her.  I also try and find something positive to tell her in each story, for example with the London fire we talked a lot about the people who had volunteered to help and donated things and how everyone was helping each other.

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 19, 2017, 08:59:59 AM

Perhaps you should go and introduce yourself to them with a big smile and even offer to help them if they ever need anything.

Make that a gentle smile, and it has to be genuine, reaching the eyes!

You are reacting to their reactions, Arturo, but if you are the only young male around their concerns have a, sort of, justified basis from their point of view. Why is this "strange" (as in "unknown") young man here? One of you needs to modify that to the better.

Arturo

Sorry but no genuine smile is coming from me after their brroadcasting their thoughts about me. I'm not kind to people who won't be kind to me.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Firebird

Quote from: Arturo on June 19, 2017, 12:24:16 PM
Sorry but no genuine smile is coming from me after their brroadcasting their thoughts about me. I'm not kind to people who won't be kind to me.
Broadcasting how?

Davin

My treadmill broke. I was going fine, then one day it stopped moving while going 10 MPH and then it started smoking. Might still be under warranty, but they'll probably just send me a new motor that I'll have to install myself. Treadmills and me don't seem to get along very well. They don't last too long. And I'm not going out jogging in this heat, I did that a few years ago and it's hotter now.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on June 19, 2017, 04:18:20 PM
My treadmill broke. I was going fine, then one day it stopped moving while going 10 MPH and then it started smoking. Might still be under warranty, but they'll probably just send me a new motor that I'll have to install myself. Treadmills and me don't seem to get along very well. They don't last too long. And I'm not going out jogging in this heat, I did that a few years ago and it's hotter now.

I'm simply not going out jogging, or even staying in milling treads.

Got a set of friction "sit-on-the-sofa-and-pedal" pedals. Wipe the dust off them once or twice a year...

hermes2015

Whenever I feel like going out jogging I lie down until the feeling goes away.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Quote from: Davin on June 19, 2017, 04:18:20 PM

Treadmill motors are usually pretty tough. How many have you burned up?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Velma

At about 1 am today, I tried to sync my iPod. I was informed by iTunes that neither iTunes or my iPod was authorized to use this computer and that all my audio was in the wrong format. It then removed everything from the iPod - 47 audio books and 25 episodes of various podcasts. After fighting with it for about an hour (uninstalled, reinstalled, reset the iPod, downloaded a couple of things again), I downloaded iTunes on my back-up computer, set up all up again, re-downloaded everything. I then de-authorized iTunes on my primary computer, uninstalled it, and uninstalled anything related to Apple or iTunes. By the time it was all set back up the way I had it and all the audio downloaded to the other computer, it was 4 am. At least it works and I'll have something to listen to at work.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

I have to get up early tomorrow...in the cold...

Whoever tries to take my blanket from me dies!  :slapfight:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey