News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 18, 2017, 01:43:48 AM
I'm pissed off for two -censored- reasons. One, I'm having trouble submitting my abstract for a local university event online and two, -censored- Bing installed itself and now I can't get rid of it! I must've looked up every tutorial...

Trying to remember how I deBinged my laptop. But they might have "fixed" that method by now.

Censored, censored Microshit should be censored!

xSP, this was not my nethod but did any of the tutorials suggest "restoring" to a pre-Bing version of Windows? You can revert most modifications and "updates" to Windows via this method.

Microshit has a fine record of "upgrades" that make things worse.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

I'm pissed off for two -censored- reasons. One, I'm having trouble submitting my abstract for a local university event online and two, -censored- Bing installed itself and now I can't get rid of it! I must've looked up every tutorial...

Is it Windows 8? Which browser are you using?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 18, 2017, 10:08:20 AM

Is it Windows 8? Which browser are you using?

Windows 10, and I'm using Chrome.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on June 18, 2017, 05:00:04 AM

Trying to remember how I deBinged my laptop. But they might have "fixed" that method by now.

Censored, censored Microshit should be censored!

xSP, this was not my nethod but did any of the tutorials suggest "restoring" to a pre-Bing version of Windows? You can revert most modifications and "updates" to Windows via this method.

Microshit has a fine record of "upgrades" that make things worse.

I seem to have found a problem, I don't know if it's the problem that's redirecting my browser, but but a google search shows that it's definitely malware:

I think I may have to restore my computer to previous settings if I fail to remove it by other means, as the extension doesn't allow me to delete it like I would any non-malicious extension.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

^
New one on me, though I have met "non-deletables" before I think. Like Microshit they come under the heading of "bullyware".

Ah, I may have deleted Firefox then re-installed it via Chrome or IE, then deleted the other browser and re-installed that. That means you have to re-install your wanted plug ins and maybe bookmarks and passwords as well. *

Worked well when I had a case of ransomware that took over the browser as its home page and redirected every URL to itself.

Haven't had much such trouble with Chrome I admit.

Also be very careful that the crap ones are not offered as "bonuses" that you have to actively refuse.

* Except on Chrome/Google if you have a tablet running it as well, you can access all your passwords or transfer bookmarks via that if thry do not reload automatically.

hermes2015

You've obviously done the usual Google search and tried the recommended things, so it probably is malware. Once everything is back to normal, you should create an image of the C: drive onto another hard drive or an external drive. I use Acronis for that and find it only takes a few minutes to restore the image when I pick up infections or Windows gets corrupted. I used to use Norton Ghost, but it is now obsolete.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 18, 2017, 11:40:00 AM
You've obviously done the usual Google search and tried the recommended things, so it probably is malware. Once everything is back to normal, you should create an image of the C: drive onto another hard drive or an external drive. I use Acronis for that and find it only takes a few minutes to restore the image when I pick up infections or Windows gets corrupted. I used to use Norton Ghost, but it is now obsolete.

Hmm, never thought of making a C drive image! Got an old 250Gb external drive going sort of spare (needs mains to run it, new ones are USB) that would well serve that purpose.

Thanks, Hermes!

Firebird

If restoring to previous settings doesn't work, maybe this will:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-cookies-on-off-extension-virus/amp/

I don't know zemana, but I know the other two programs (malwarebytes and hitman pro). Also maybe download from the vendor websites rather than the links. But otherwise seems to make sense.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on June 18, 2017, 12:30:13 PM

Hmm, never thought of making a C drive image! Got an old 250Gb external drive going sort of spare (needs mains to run it, new ones are USB) that would well serve that purpose.

Thanks, Hermes!

This has saved my life many times over at least 15 years. One cannot, of course, just copy the whole drive that contains the Windows files; that is why one has to use appropriate software to create an image. I have not looked at any freeware products lately, but will investigate and let you know. I love Acronis, but I am sure there are other, possibly free, programs out there.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 18, 2017, 04:52:37 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on June 18, 2017, 12:30:13 PM

Thanks, Hermes!

This has saved my life many times over at least 15 years. One cannot, of course, just copy the whole drive that contains the Windows files; that is why one has to use appropriate software to create an image. I have not looked at any freeware products lately, but will investigate and let you know. I love Acronis, but I am sure there are other, possibly free, programs out there.

Wow, I see there are many on this site:

http://alternativeto.net/software/acronis-true-image/

You could try a few to see which one suits you best.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Arturo

Alternative To is a great website for anything
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Perhaps they need to be in the "Useful links" thread chaps!

Arturo

All these old ladies who live in my building silently judging me before they get to know me...I'm seething in anger... :rant1: hate them
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Quote from: Arturo on June 18, 2017, 09:24:46 PM
All these old ladies who live in my building silently judging me before they get to know me...I'm seething in anger... :rant1: hate them
And you probably give off subliminal messages of hate and anger which you are being judged on.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.