News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

THE SOLAR SYSTEM

Started by Magdalena, March 24, 2012, 06:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

I have two days to make a model of the solar system  :o
...well, actually, my 8 year old has two days to make a model of the solar system.  ;)

Do you guys also get caught up in the project and end up by yourself, working on it by yourself, because your kid is not doing it the way YOU want it? That is to wrong. Like when they came home from preschool with a cutting project, and you cut it for them because you want your kid's to be the most perfectly cut  :-\ and you get a note from her/his teacher saying: "Please let the kid learn to use the scissors." >:(

Anyway... Can anyone give me ideas on how to make a nice one?
Can you tell me what materials work the best for this project?
Thank you.  :-[

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Well I'd make a paper maché disk and paint it as a star background. I'd then use ping pong balls and pipe cleaners as the planets and sun. I'd embed the pipe cleaners in the base as I made it, then paint the base. I'd paint the pipe cleaners black. I'd then paint the planets appropriate colours and mount them on the pipe cleaners, but not glue them on, that way if things get bent you can fix them. If you want to be really flash make a small paper maché ball for the moon and use a pipe cleaner to mount it to the Earth. If you have a go at the rings of Saturn you can just cut out a disk of paper and paint it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on March 24, 2012, 06:47:26 AM
Well I'd make a paper maché disk and paint it as a star background. I'd then use ping pong balls and pipe cleaners as the planets and sun. I'd embed the pipe cleaners in the base as I made it, then paint the base. I'd paint the pipe cleaners black. I'd then paint the planets appropriate colours and mount them on the pipe cleaners, but not glue them on, that way if things get bent you can fix them. If you want to be really flash make a small paper maché ball for the moon and use a pipe cleaner to mount it to the Earth. If you have a go at the rings of Saturn you can just cut out a disk of paper and paint it.

Thanks so much for your advice, sounds great. I do have most of those materials at home, except the ping pong balls and paint. I, I mean... WE will get the stuff tomorow, I knew you guys would come up with something, thanks again.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Asmodean

I'd go further and use balls of different sizes attached to a center column , holding the largest one, so that all can be spun around the center.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on March 24, 2012, 09:01:54 AM
I'd go further and use balls of different sizes attached to a center column , holding the largest one, so that all can be spun around the center.
I thought about suggesting that, but we are talking an 8 year old so going for different sizes seemed a little advanced. And definitely something an adult might think about but not necessarily a kid.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.