News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Parents pride thread

Started by Siz, January 27, 2012, 06:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

What have your kids achieved this week?

Learned to walk, had a first potty hit, or just beat up the school bully?
Or didn't come last in the egg-and-spoon race, or won gold at the youth games.

Or maybe they've just graduated, or got married or had children of their own.

This is the place to tell us all how brilliant they are... and we promise to oooh and ahhh!

Here's mine (and the inspiration for this post):

My boy just finished this model as part of a tornado for a school project on weather.
(Okay, okay, I painted the house nearest, but it's mostly his)

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

That's awesome!  Well done to your son!

This was a couple of weeks ago (hubby's birthday, Jan 12) but my son did something I thought was pretty cool.  He's 3, and last year on my husband's birthday I just stuck a crayon in his hand and let him "draw" on a card for my husband.  This year, I asked him what he wanted to day on the card, and he told me to write something along the lines of "Happy Birthday and we love you and we got you a present and guess what?  There are cupcakes!"  Then, I gave him the pen and expected him to scribble a little bit, but instead he wrote a "T" (his name is Tristan).  It was sideways, but it was recognizably a T.  I was super proud.

Siz

Quote from: Ali on January 27, 2012, 07:11:41 PM
That's awesome!  Well done to your son!

This was a couple of weeks ago (hubby's birthday, Jan 12) but my son did something I thought was pretty cool.  He's 3, and last year on my husband's birthday I just stuck a crayon in his hand and let him "draw" on a card for my husband.  This year, I asked him what he wanted to day on the card, and he told me to write something along the lines of "Happy Birthday and we love you and we got you a present and guess what?  There are cupcakes!"  Then, I gave him the pen and expected him to scribble a little bit, but instead he wrote a "T" (his name is Tristan).  It was sideways, but it was recognizably a T.  I was super proud.

So you should be. It's not every day you find out your son's a genius! Way to go Mr.T!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ali

;D ;D ;D

Thanks.  I think he knew to do it because he has big wooden letters hanging in his room that say "TRISTAN" and we always go over them and he knows they spell his name.

Here's a picture.   ;D ;D ;D

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Stevil

That tornado is pretty awesome, I never created anything like that at school, actually, I've never created any 3D models of anything, unless you count cutting a face into an apple.

Anyway, well done.

Stevil

Ali, isn't it great when they surprise you.
Especially when it is something that you haven't even taught them.

They are little osmosis driven sponges.

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on January 28, 2012, 08:26:55 AM

They are little osmosis driven sponges.
That's a very good description of kids. They only want to stop learning when adults make the process boring!

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on January 28, 2012, 08:45:01 AM
Quote from: Stevil on January 28, 2012, 08:26:55 AM

They are little Asmosis driven sponges.
That's a very good description of kids. They only want to stop learning when adults make the process boring!
Looks better like this though.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

My three year old broke her arm two weeks ago, she was very lucky that it wasn't worse.

She had decided to climb up the set of drawers in her room. Had pulled out the bottom draw, stood on it, had her arms inside the top draw and the whole thing fell on top of her. It is at least twice if not three times heavier than her.

Lucky I was home at the time, my wife would not have been able to lift her and the drawers up.
Lucky it was her arms in the top draw and not just her fingers, and lucky her head didn't get it.

If it was her sister under that I doubt she would have survived.

Warning to parents, pull out the bottom draw and push down on it, check how stable your drawers are.

Tank

Bloody hell! Poor little sprout. Kids soon mend though.

Stevil

Ali

Glad she's okay!  How scary!

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Stevil on January 28, 2012, 08:23:18 PM
She's doing OK.

Looks like she's keeping her cast pristine -- is she planning to let people doodle on it later?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany