News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Dawkins writes book for Children

Started by DeterminedJuliet, September 09, 2011, 04:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngelOfDeath

Quote from: Recusant on December 14, 2017, 04:04:28 AM
Quote from: AngelOfDeath on December 14, 2017, 12:05:24 AM. . . why do folks get so upset when other folks poke a little fun at ol' man Dawkins?

Is it your intent to get "folks" upset by poking fun at Dawkins? If not, can you explain the genuine purpose of your post?

not at all.  just from what i know about dawkins' personality, him writing such a book would be hilarious

AngelOfDeath

I guess a few year back dawkins said something about mother's having a responsibility to abort all downs syndrome fetuses.

AngelOfDeath

imagine putting that in a children's book

Tank

I used to moderate on the Richard Dawkins forum. I have to say I am not a fan of the guy. He's very much a product of his privileged colonial upbringing. I had to email him about something. He replied but he didn't respond to my question. He replied to correct how I had used an apostrophe in his name. He's not a particularly good philosopher either but The God Delusion changed me from a passive atheist to an active one. I had not really understood the impact creationists like Ken Hamm in the USA. That said what he has done is raised the profile of atheistic thought and just how insidious theism is in the human world. So like all of us he's not perfect but through his work on evolution he has advanced the sum total of human knowledge.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on December 14, 2017, 08:38:44 AM
I used to moderate on the Richard Dawkins forum. I have to say I am not a fan of the guy. He's very much a product of his privileged colonial upbringing. I had to email him about something. He replied but he didn't respond to my question. He replied to correct how I had used an apostrophe in his name. He's not a particularly good philosopher either but The God Delusion changed me from a passive atheist to an active one. I had not really understood the impact creationists like Ken Hamm in the USA. That said what he has done is raised the profile of atheistic thought and just how insidious theism is in the human world. So like all of us he's not perfect but through his work on evolution he has advanced the sum total of human knowledge.

Dawkins is not my most favourite person either, he plays the celebrity tune too often but, yes, one has to recognise and respect his achievments. Perhaps in the way that I feel a few senior churchmen deserve respect for their, slightly, more enlightened attitude towards gay marriage etc.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: AngelOfDeath on December 14, 2017, 12:05:24 AMand why do folks get so upset when other folks poke a little fun at ol' man Dawkins?

Have they though? Gotten so upset that is.
You could try trying not to confuse what you want to be with what is.
Or not, your choice, it's just a personal credo of mine, I'm not pushing it.

Anyway thanks, being the local Borderline Troll I appreciate the health benefits of troll visitation.
Others here don't agree, but you guys get people busy busy on their posting, better than a personal trainer and you're free! PRAISE THE LORD!!!.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

Quote from: AngelOfDeath on December 14, 2017, 06:19:58 AM
Quote from: AngelOfDeath on December 14, 2017, 12:05:24 AM. . . why do folks get so upset when other folks poke a little fun at ol' man Dawkins?

Is it your intent to get "folks" upset by poking fun at Dawkins? If not, can you explain the genuine purpose of your post?

not at all.  just from what i know about dawkins' personality, him writing such a book would be hilarious

Have you read his book for children? I suspect not. Equally, I suspect that what you know about Dawkins largely comes from anti-atheist propaganda. As you see above, he isn't held in any particular reverence by atheists in general. In fact there are many atheists who've come to actively dislike the man. It looks a bit like wishful thinking that you believe that you "upset" anybody here by attempting to poke fun at him.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on December 14, 2017, 04:34:55 PM
Quote from: AngelOfDeath on December 14, 2017, 06:19:58 AM

Have you read his book for children? I suspect not. Equally, I suspect that what you know about Dawkins largely comes from anti-atheist propaganda. As you see above, he isn't held in any particular reverence by atheists in general. In fact there are many atheists who've come to actively dislike the man. It looks a bit like wishful thinking that you believe that you "upset" anybody here by attempting to poke fun at him.

Yup, atheists score because they are allowed, often encouraged, to question and think critically about "authority". Not expected to simply accecpt because some guy 4000 odd years ago started writing some "rules" down in a book, justifying them with takes of fantasy, to maintain his group's hold on power. An idea plagiarised about 2000 years ago by another bunch.

Fantasy is great, I read large volumes of it. It can be inventive, allegorical, indicative of human psychology, can make you think or merely entertain etc etc, but when the book is shut that world goes on hold and the real one takes over again. As Grannie Weatherwax said in one of the Discworld novels, "It's all headology...

If you are going to write a book on ethics, morals, psilodophy, psychology etc using fables, allegory and parables at least be honest enough to admit to it.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

AngelOfDeath

Well I have not read it.  And I've never read anti-atheist material.  And from what I understand, Dawkins is rather the posterboy for the modern atheist movement, or at least was at one time--I don't keep up with popular fads

AngelOfDeath

I was a bit confused about where to put the apostrophe when writing Dawkins in possessive form.  is it dawkin's or dawkins' or dawkins's?  hmm

Tank

Quote from: AngelOfDeath on December 14, 2017, 06:44:02 PM

I was a bit confused about where to put the apostrophe when writing Dawkins in possessive form.  is it dawkin's or dawkins' or dawkins's?  hmm

Send him an email. If you don't get a reply you know you used the right one.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: AngelOfDeath on December 14, 2017, 06:42:06 PM

Well I have not read it.  And I've never read anti-atheist material.  And from what I understand, Dawkins is rather the posterboy for the modern atheist movement, or at least was at one time--I don't keep up with popular fads
The God Delusion was a book written about the right subject at the right time. There were 4 main anti-theist authors around at the time. Daniel Dennett (the one I wish I could be), Christopher Hitchens (the one I channel on Facebook), Sam Harris (ambivalent about him) and RD, I've expressed my opinion about him.

AngelOfDeath

Quote from: Tank on December 15, 2017, 10:59:48 AM
Quote from: AngelOfDeath on December 14, 2017, 06:44:02 PM

Send him an email. If you don't get a reply you know you used the right one.

:lol: