News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Dawkins writes book for Children

Started by DeterminedJuliet, September 09, 2011, 04:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/642927-children-are-indoctrinated-i-want-to-open-their-minds

"I'm very aware that people try to get their hands on children and indoctrinate them and I want to open their eyes, open their minds, show them the thrill of science — of really understanding so much of why we exist, why the universe exists, what life is."

Interesting read and may well be worth picking up when my little fella is a bit older. I was always given illustrated bibles and the like when I was a kid, it'd be nice to have an alternative  :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Stev13jay

Well growing up a roman catholic and getting my confirmation all of my youth I've been given l sorts of bibles and religious books its good to know that here are books I can give my child so he can know facts. Plus I love Richard dawkins work

SisterAgatha

That book should be in the teenage section.

Kdis should not be exposed to atheist ideas at such a tender age.

Dawkins..ins't sunshine and rainbows.

If he were a woman..Id say he would be a bitter, grizzled old hag.

I wouldn't want my kids to be around tehm (if I had any that is)

Tank

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 03, 2017, 08:13:03 PM

What? They shouldn't be told the truth about the myths of our understandably ignorant ancestors. But it's ok to tell them the world is run by a genocidal maniac who fooled his pets into cursing all their descendants for eternity because they listened to a talking snake?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

Not only are you a troll, but you're a misogynistic troll at that, and a rather bad one. Is this the best you can do?

:yawn:
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Quote from: Father Bruno on October 03, 2017, 08:47:28 PM

Not only are you a troll, but you're a misogynistic troll at that, and a rather bad one. Is this the best you can do?

Can't work out if that is misogyny or misanthropy.  :headscratch:

Later: oops, I meant "misandry"!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

Could we at least limit the amount of 5+ year old threads that are getting resurrected?

I mean, that's textbook troll behavior.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on October 03, 2017, 09:25:32 PM
Could we at least limit the amount of 5+ year old threads that are getting resurrected?

I mean, that's textbook troll behavior.

Also the large number of threads engaged, new or old. Sort of like stuffing a site in a "denial of service" attack.

Takes an able mind to do that, keep thinking up things and keeping track. Twisted yes,  but able. Suppose it is a kind of sad hobby.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Misogynistic, anti-Semite -- I think the Sister is going down a list.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bad Penny II

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 04, 2017, 01:28:48 AM

No no you don't understand her, she's beautiful.
Anyway that stuff doesn't matter because she likes dogs.
God won't let her have one though.
Or the pope.
Or Ma superior,
I'll ask her later.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Quote from: Dave on October 03, 2017, 09:54:59 PM
Takes an able mind to do that, keep thinking up things and keeping track. Twisted yes,  but able. Suppose it is a kind of sad hobby.
It has yet to be demonstrated that this poster can keep track of things. It has failed to have a civil discussion, so we can't tell if it is keeping things straight or not. It's posting "controversial" things that seem intended to rile us all up. It has yet to actually discuss anything it has said.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

Her participation in discussion has been disjointed, truncated, and littered with lame comments about atheists, but not completely lacking.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 04, 2017, 12:59:48 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 04, 2017, 01:28:48 AM

No no you don't understand her, she's beautiful.
Anyway that stuff doesn't matter because she likes dogs.
God won't let her have one though.
Or the pope.
Or Ma superior,
I'll ask her later.

I wonder what the right sort of dog would be?  A quiet one certainly.  I think not too large either, so that it won't knock too many things over, or cause the Sister to break her vow of poverty with big bags of dog food.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

SisterAgatha

It seems highly divisive and politically driven.

Kids minds are just forming. Why would you indoctrinate them with such an offensive idea?

If I were a parent id lobby the local library to remove them from circulation

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant