Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Claireliontamer on July 17, 2017, 10:54:36 AM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on July 14, 2017, 03:52:51 PM
I got accepted to become an official book reviewer for the Science Education Association which means I'll get sent free science books :)

Well my first set of books arrived this morning.  I have a book on String Theory and one about the computing behind launching rockets.  This may involve more thinking than I was prepared for!

Oh, dear, quantum stuff and rocket science.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Gloucester on July 17, 2017, 12:01:48 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on July 17, 2017, 10:54:36 AM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on July 14, 2017, 03:52:51 PM
I got accepted to become an official book reviewer for the Science Education Association which means I'll get sent free science books :)

Well my first set of books arrived this morning.  I have a book on String Theory and one about the computing behind launching rockets.  This may involve more thinking than I was prepared for!

Oh, dear, quantum stuff and rocket science.

Hopefully there are lots of pictures!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Biggus Dickus

Whereas the following isn't really making me feel "Cheerful" the attention to editorial correction on the part of this newspaper is reassuring as hell!

Dave

^

There is a good sense of humour behind that - or, if not, a weird sense of values!

Biggus Dickus

I've probably mentioned this before, but one of my co-workers is a damn good baker. Her Apple Pies are scrumptious, and I bug her to bring them in, especially here in the fall when apples are plentiful...I've even brought in fresher picked apples from the orchard and deposited them on her desk..

Next to her Apple Pie she makes a really good Key Lime Pie, and last week she brought one into the office for another co-worker who just announced her retirement...anyway I lucked out today as there was only one piece left and the other two people in the office didn't want it...so I'm sitting at my desk eating the last piece of cold, key lime pie right out of the pie plate...if that doesn't make a person cheerful I don't know what the fuck will.

Yummy!

Arturo

Can she make Raspberry Pi? :DDD
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Biggus Dickus

She's an engineer, so maybe, but I don't think I would care for this type :P

Dave

Quote from: Father Bruno on July 25, 2017, 04:07:23 AM
She's an engineer, so maybe, but I don't think I would care for this type :P

Need a good set of teeth . . .

Arturo

I did some squats yesterday after looking up proper form. Now I feel great!! :heyhey:
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on July 25, 2017, 01:32:45 PM
I did some squats yesterday after looking up proper form. Now I feel great!! :heyhey:

If I had done some full squats yesterday I would probably still be lying on my back on the floor gadping for breath!

My gym is my kitchen, whilst waiting for the kettle to boil I do ten each of: standing-sits or air-squats (bend knees until thighs almost level then stand slowly up - gently gripping counter edge just for balance), toe-stands - just what it sounds like, side-stretch - lean sideways, both feet flat on floor, and touch as far down leg as possible, toe-touches, tummy stretch - feet flat on floor, lean slowly back from waist, use abominsls to regain upright stance (counter just behind me).

Then I make the drink and spend half-hour on the sofa recovering! But it does mean that I can bend easily from the waist to pick things off the floor and do other things many of my contemporaries - even those without the cardiac probs - can't. Objective is more flexibility than outright fitness or strength, but every little helps!

Arturo

That's a great idea Gloucester!! You ever think about these?

You reminded me of them when you told me about the counter and they seem like a safer alternative!
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on July 26, 2017, 12:28:55 AM
That's a great idea Gloucester!! You ever think about these?

You reminded me of them when you told me about the counter and they seem like a safer alternative!

If I could find such a young lady I would certainly indulge in those!

Not getting down to that sort of position is something we oldies  spend a lot of time and ingenuity over! Unless it is on a bed where we can get off and upright more eadily. No, leaning back over the counter is probably safer, it was actually one of the stretching exercises for treating my sciatica.

jumbojak

Rain is beating on the roof as I'm getting ready to go to bed. The only thing better would be a tin roof.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Well, early days yet, I have discovered that there is a "Men's Shed" group less than a mile from where I live. It msy just be a sicialy group where they help each other at home, but I would be happy with that.

Like the "Workshop" thread just be happy if it is a chat group talking  blokey stuff about woodwork etc.

Despite all that the contact number was a woman! But I know women who can swing a mean hammer and saw a straight line!!

Oh, and the local library is looking for volunteer "Computer Buddies", something I have done before and enjoy.

Essie Mae

I'm volunteering at my local library too for the Summer Reading Challenge in which kids are challenged to read six books over the holiday. They come and talk about their books and receive stickers to put in the Challenge booklet. At the end there are presentation evenings where they receive a medal, certificate and wristband. The kids as always are funny, shy and confident and have a lot more wisdom than many adults I know.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare