News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

Quote from: Gloucester on May 11, 2017, 08:10:43 PM
One quick look, AbeBooks . . ....

Wow! Both the book and the dust jacket are in excellent condition. I was excited because it is a signed book by one of my favorite authors. :D
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

A signed first edition for two bucks? That's great Velma!  8)

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

When I volunteered for Oxfam we had a signed copy of Laurie Lee's "Cider with Rosie" donated. I thought, "Wow!"

Then one of the other volunteers, who had lived in the same village as Lee, said, "Nothing special, he used to visit the pub most evenings and people flocked to Slad to see the place. They sold the book in the pub and he must have dpsigned thousands of them over the years!"

Never the less it went into the "specials" cabinet priced at a tenner in case some tourist came by! Sold within the week.

I have to admit that the Slad Valley and its village look like something in a time warp, very picturesque.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 13, 2017, 02:59:37 PM

This is why used bookstores are paradise.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Velma

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 14, 2017, 01:49:05 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 13, 2017, 02:59:37 PM

This is why used bookstores are paradise.
Exactly. Used bookstores are magical places. You never know what you may find.  :chasingbutterfly:
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

jumbojak

I have a signed first edition I found in a bookstore. Nothing special, just a copy of The Trees in My Forest by Bernd Heinrich, but it also had the letter he sent to the reviewer thinking them for considering the book for an award. It's an excellent book.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

8)

I should probably go to used bookstores more often, I would love to find a gem like that!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Velma

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 15, 2017, 02:45:06 PM
8)

I should probably go to used bookstores more often, I would love to find a gem like that!
Yes you should go visit used bookstores more often. They are generally locally owned*, so you are supporting a local business. Plus, there are treasures galore.

*Here in the US, we have a chain called Half-Priced Books. It offers used and new books, audio books, comics/manga, etc... You are less likely to find unusual books there, however. We do frequent it, though, along with the plethora of local used bookstores.

Velma

We got our new television set up today. This is the first television we've had in a while that didn't need speakers to have decent sound. It also has an excellent picture. It is amazing what you can get for less than $500 (US).

Buddy

Got an apartment with my boyfriend today. We are just waiting for them to finish installing the new carpeting which should be done today or tomorrow. I'll just be moving one cat and the snakes, plus my boyfriends neighbor is giving one of his kittens to us. I'm pretty freaking excited
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Nice one, Buddy.

Are we invited to a virtual "apartment warming" party!

:party:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on May 15, 2017, 07:22:37 PM
Got an apartment with my boyfriend today. We are just waiting for them to finish installing the new carpeting which should be done today or tomorrow. I'll just be moving one cat and the snakes, plus my boyfriends neighbor is giving one of his kittens to us. I'm pretty freaking excited
Lovely to hear about this. A front door of your own is one of the best things in the world!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Buddy on May 15, 2017, 07:22:37 PM

Quote from: Gloucester on May 15, 2017, 08:34:44 PM
Nice one, Buddy.

Are we invited to a virtual "apartment warming" party!

:party:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

I have a car, so I can help you move.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.