News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Harry Potter Books

Started by SisterAgatha, January 11, 2018, 03:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 20, 2018, 04:06:28 PM
Just an observation after the fact, I really hope SisterAgatha seeks professional help. I don't know what underlying issues her pathological lying stems from, but it just isn't normal to want to lie to people and then retract statements with "Oh, I was only joking!" over and over again.  ::)
Therapy is needed. The idea that people will react to things said seems like magic to trolls because of their limited view point and understanding. To those with knowledge and experience, we understand society better, which is why trolls are boring and tedious. It's like watching a toddler learn that crayons mark colors on things, then going around and drawing on every surface they can find and then feeling proud that they made a responsible person come around and clean it all up. Dealing with trolls is like dealing with misbehaving toddlers.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dragonia

Yeah, I've had my lifetime share of misbehaving toddlers.
I guess that's why I find the Agathas of the world so exhausting. 
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Sandra Craft

To get off tangent, I tried reading the first HP book but found it too juvenile for my taste and, based on that, I ignored all the movies too.  But last night, for lack of anything better to do, I watched HPs 1 and 2 and kind of enjoyed them.  Admittedly mostly the parts with Snape (my heart still bleeds over Alan Rickman) but overall they're completely watchable and I'm going to finish this movie series.  I think there are 8 of them?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 23, 2018, 12:58:38 AM
To get off tangent, I tried reading the first HP book but found it too juvenile for my taste and, based on that, I ignored all the movies too.  But last night, for lack of anything better to do, I watched HPs 1 and 2 and kind of enjoyed them.  Admittedly mostly the parts with Snape (my heart still bleeds over Alan Rickman) but overall they're completely watchable and I'm going to finish this movie series.  I think there are 8 of them?

7 books, 8 movies (I think the last one was split into parts one and two).

When I read them I also thought they were too juvenile but that's because the first ones are. They do get more mature themes as the series advances, as if J.K Rowling was writing primarily for an audience that was growing up along with the young characters. The last ones deal a lot with the topic of death, for instance.

All in all I enjoyed them. I read them out of order though, with the third book being my first because it was given to me as a Christmas gift and I decided to give it a try. If I hadn't liked it so much it would have been difficult to finish books 1 and 2 as I was already around 16 at the time. On the plus side they are extremely easy reading, and can be finished in no time.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 23, 2018, 10:50:52 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 23, 2018, 12:58:38 AM

7 books, 8 movies (I think the last one was split into parts one and two).

When I read them I also thought they were too juvenile but that's because the first ones are. They do get more mature themes as the series advances, as if J.K Rowling was writing primarily for an audience that was growing up along with the young characters. The last ones deal a lot with the topic of death, for instance.

All in all I enjoyed them. I read them out of order though, with the third book being my first because it was given to me as a Christmas gift and I decided to give it a try. If I hadn't liked it so much it would have been difficult to finish books 1 and 2 as I was already around 16 at the time. On the plus side they are extremely easy reading, and can be finished in no time.

I also think they are written in excellent English . . . Well, the English editions anyway!

Whilst running the local Oxfam book depot we were donated the then complete series in Russian, twice(?).We were not sure what to do with them until the manager of the Cheltengam branch visited and saw them. And grabbed them immediately. Seems he did a roaring trade selling foreign language books, especially novels, to the spooks at GCHQ. They used them to top up their colloquial language skills. They sold within a couple of days.

My sci-fi reading started with Dan Dare in "The Eagle" comic (best comic ever for a mix of fiction, fact, history etc). But my first books were the "Kemlo" series about early teenagers on a space station. A few years ago I found a copy of "Kemlo and the Star Men" and spent my mad money on it. Similar structure; obviously aimed at pre/early teenage kids (I was 10 when I first read them), excellent use of English and some adult themes. Also loads of moral decisions and ethical behaviour.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Skeptik

They're a hell of a lot better for children than that other magic book that's so popular.
Mainly because we don't teach them from birth that Harry Potter is real.
The certainty with which I know another man's religion is folly makes me suspect my own is also - Mark Twain

Dear Religion,
Today we safely brought a man back from outer space, while you shot a child in the face for wanting to go to school.
Sincerely,
Science