News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

I Confess!

Started by SisterAgatha, November 07, 2017, 03:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Going back to stuff that was lost in the transfer, but which I copied and stored elsewhere...

363251#msg363251 date=1510513337]
Quote from: Dave on November 12, 2017, 04:43:20 PM
Trouble is, Aggie, you attempted to present a church that is all sweetness and light. Any even shallow skim through the history of the Catholic Church will show that, yes, there are members who seek to do only good (as in any beleif or non-belief group). However it is also a pit of intrigue, corruption, vice, greed . . . Just like any other group of . . .

But the RCC turned it into a hypocritical industry many centuries ago, trying to manipulate the whole word in an attempt to increase its power and influence. Just like the Communist Party then? Both tortured and killed in the name of their ideology.

That you have found a niche in which your needs fit and are satisfied is great for you, please use itvto make the world a better place for all - not by convertion but by example.. Remember those innocents who suffered, and still suffer, because of those who claim to be religious. It would be great if all people had a sense of ethics, empathy etc - but I expect these qualities in church leaders from local vicars upwards. If they act in an opposite way then they are, IMHO, worse than the casual "sinner" or the person totally without religious belief, the atheist, say, who acts in that same way.

Perhaps sentences for crimes like paedophillia should be automatically doubled for any person who takes advantage of a position of trust to abuse others.

First off I don't think the Catholic Church (as you understand it) is all sweetness and light. It's members have certainly done horrific things over the years, but what else is new? All that just proves the fallen nature of humanity and the need for God in our lives.

Actually if you think about it, given all the corruption and bad things the Catholic Church has been involved in, its further proof of it's divine nature that it has not yet been exterminated or gone extinct. Napolean was actually the closest person ever to be in a position to destroy the Catholic Church (kill the Pope, take out the Vatican etc.....)......but something or (someONE!) stayed his hand... ::)

I think the Catholic Church in the sense of it's spiritual and theological reality is all sunshine and light.....but it's members and times of it's history were far far from it... that is my 2 cents on the matter

So all your gushing about your church was just part of the false persona you tried to project then?

Aggie, your last post was the best I have seen so far in terms of seeming honesty. But your church still reeks of medieval policy and values, in all respects except making money, from what I have seen and heard of it.

QuoteActually if you think about it, given all the corruption and bad things the Catholic Church has been involved in, its further proof of it's divine nature that it has not yet been exterminated or gone extinct.

If that is the best offer you can make to excuse your church's behaviour it is simply yet another indication of your god's complicity in its actions, "divine" guilt.

I would suggest that Napoleon, like the Romans, was too sensible a diplomat to eradicate a religion when he could use it to control the people. Its all power politics in the end.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dragonia

Sister Agatha, your "storytelling" could easily be viewed as lying.
Do you know where liars go when they die????
To be tortured with the Father of Lies--SATAN!
So do us all a favor and quit with the compulsive fiction.
Whoever you are, I bet we would all like the Real you better than the Sister Agatha you.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dave

I agree, Dragonia, but I am begining to believe that this poster is pathologically incapable of holding a "normal" conversation. There was a moment were there sermed to be a real person breaking through, but it soon disappeared. No response to my last on this thread, but I am not surprised.

Perhaps we should pity this person rather than get exasperated. Or, maybe, it is a troll bot and that monent of intelligence was the programmer putting his or her oar in to muddy the water a bit more.

One might consider those who have undergone religious programming that has stuck robots anyway.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dragonia

Quote from: Dave on November 30, 2017, 01:02:17 PM
I agree, Dragonia, but I am begining to believe that this poster is pathologically incapable of holding a "normal" conversation. There was a moment were there sermed to be a real person breaking through, but it soon disappeared. No response to my last on this thread, but I am not surprised.

Perhaps we should pity this person rather than get exasperated. Or, maybe, it is a troll bot and that monent of intelligence was the programmer putting his or her oar in to muddy the water a bit more.

One might consider those who have undergone religious programming that has stuck robots anyway.

You are probably right, Dave, that this person just can't hold a normal conversation. But I am not going to pity Agatha. For "she" shall exasperate me until the cows come home.   :grrr:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Recusant

You're a clever man, Dave, and I'm not saying that just because I did the same thing as you did before Asmodean successfully toiled to carry this site forward.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: SisterAgatha at no longer functioning link
Quote from: Recusant on November 11, 2017, 05:04:09 PM
SisterAgatha, despite the rather unsavory beginning to your membership at this site, I for one would rather you stuck around and made an effort to engage in honest dialogues. A Catholic perspective would be welcome, in my opinion. Despite my personal animus to the Catholic church, it is still a powerful element of human society and shouldn't be ignored in the discussions we have here. Right now, you're under threat of a permanent ban, but if you can find it in yourself to be civil and present your position with reason and evidence (avoid preaching), in a few months that threat could be lifted.

Well thank you for the compliment (and it is a compliment in a manner of speaking!)

I really am sorry about my earlier posts. I had an opportunity to give Catholicism a good or at least reasonable face and honest presentation, and instead I degenerated into some silly stereotype of a Catholic school just for laughs.

I am more than willing to engage in an honest dialogue about the Catholic faith, because quite frankly I think there is a quite a lot of misunderstanding and lack of information on it among the broader population.

You have fundamentalist Protestants who think it is a weird symbiosis of Roman/Babylonian paganism with Christian trappings and most of the American population who think it is some strange "Christianesque" cult with a lot of strict rules and controversies. Im not saying you all are ill-informed I just think there is a big problem with that. The second largest religious group in USA after Catholics is Ex-Catholics!

I honestly struggled with the faith and turned my back on it  for a while. The whole sex abuse stuff really made me give it up for a long time and also the "problem of evil" as in why do horrible events happen (war, AIDs, missing children, world hunger)  that God does nothing to stop?

I thought for the longest time that if God was real he was dumb/evil, or that reasonably speaking he probably did not exist.

Yet I was drawn back for reasons I can't totally explain..

I've expressed my opinion on your reasons elsewhere, but am glad that this post wasn't lost.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken