Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Proud dad moment

Started by Skeptik, October 19, 2017, 04:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Guardian85 on November 26, 2017, 03:37:21 AM
Quote from: SisterAgatha on November 25, 2017, 09:32:30 PM
Suspending your disbelief for a moment, God is all love and joy and peace (if you believe in that sort of thing.)
Except for the stonings, beheadings, human sacrifices, genocides..... (if you believe that sort of thing.)  ::)

I've always wondered how they get to the claim (god is love, etc) from the available "evidence" (stonings, beheadings, etc) other than straight thru the imagination to wishful thinking.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

So, God is chemicals in the brain? That makes much more sense.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Skeptik

QuoteSuspending your disbelief for a moment, God is all love and joy and peace

Yeah, he loves everyone so much that he created hell..................you know.  Just in case they don't love him back.

QuoteThe universe is fascinating, intricate and complex..but it is hardly benevelent.

Never claimed it was benevolent.  It is in fact indifferent.

QuoteIt doesn't really seem to care about anyone

That's because it doesn't.

QuoteI guess what Im saying is that God and the Universe are not really interchangeable all the time

You're right.  Nor need they be.

Quoteand that at some level we need God and and His law

No ma'am, we do not.  God and his supposed "law" is responsible for more death, destruction and misery than everything else combined.

We need freethought and reason.  We need evidence based thinking, not faith based thinking.

The certainty with which I know another man's religion is folly makes me suspect my own is also - Mark Twain

Dear Religion,
Today we safely brought a man back from outer space, while you shot a child in the face for wanting to go to school.
Sincerely,
Science

joeactor

Great card! (and a great daughter!)

Dragonia

Ugh, I'm trying to catch up on all these threads because I haven't been here for a while.....and I find that Sister Agatha is back? Lovely. "She" has tenacity I guess.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Tank

This is a little bizarre! This is my son Andrew, on the right, with Lando Norris, on the left, the new driver at McLaren for the 2019 season. Lando is 19! Andrew will be his performance engineer this year.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Lando appears to be a proper Englishman what with the umbrella and all.   He must be a talented young man if McClaren has gambled to use his skills that may or my not be of F1 caliber. I do have confidence in the judgement of the McClaren hierarchy.  Let the games begin. 

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on January 11, 2019, 07:19:18 PM
This is a little bizarre! This is my son Andrew, on the right, with Lando Norris, on the left, the new driver at McLaren for the 2019 season. Lando is 19! Andrew will be his performance engineer this year.

Those have got to be two of the worlds coolest jobs.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

hermes2015

Are you allowed to visit him down where the action happens? You could meet some interesting people and take good photos as well.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 14, 2019, 03:42:18 AM

Are you allowed to visit him down where the action happens? You could meet some interesting people and take good photos as well.

I could go to McLaren once a year and I did when he first started and yes I got some cool photos. I'll track some down.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Sandra Craft on January 13, 2019, 09:31:54 PM

Those have got to be two of the worlds coolest jobs.

Yes. But incredibly stressful, Andrew is a Grade 1 Stress Bunny. Last year he flew over 150,000 miles and spent 290 hours in the air. And that does not include the miles/hours he spent privately spending his air-miles!

Dark Lightning

Wow, a bit of a drift from the original topic! Anyway, Lando has probably been driving go-karts and such from a young age, and has probably demonstrated talent there. That's where a lot of racers get their start. Being that young is good for reaction time. And your son must be pretty damned smart to be a performance engineer at such a young age!

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 27, 2019, 02:15:21 AM
Wow, a bit of a drift from the original topic! Anyway, Lando has probably been driving go-karts and such from a young age, and has probably demonstrated talent there. That's where a lot of racers get their start. Being that young is good for reaction time. And your son must be pretty damned smart to be a performance engineer at such a young age!

Lando has come up through the McClaren young drivers system in the same way Lewis Hamilton did so he's done the carting and lower formulas. He's quick. Andrew was on Alonso's team as his performance engineer for almost 2 years. He is smart. Got a 1st Class Degree in Mechanical Engineering at Imperial College London. And went on to do his doctorate there. His thesis was on ultrasonic 3D imaging  in solids at high temperatures. If it wasn't for the fact he looks like me (and so does his twin sister) I'd wonder who his father was!  :)

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on January 14, 2019, 06:21:30 AM
And that does not include the miles/hours he spent privately spending his air-miles!
For tax-related reasons, I can no longer (as of the 1. of January) do that with those miles, earned while travelling corporate. And it's sad. :(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Skeptik

The certainty with which I know another man's religion is folly makes me suspect my own is also - Mark Twain

Dear Religion,
Today we safely brought a man back from outer space, while you shot a child in the face for wanting to go to school.
Sincerely,
Science