News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Proud dad moment

Started by Skeptik, October 19, 2017, 04:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeptik

So, I haven't been very active on here for a while, with law school taking most of my time these days.  Working full time, going to school until 9:00 pm and trying to find a way to still be a decent husband and dad leaves little time for leisure.

But a few months ago on my birthday, my daughter (14 years old) was looking for me a birthday card.  She couldn't find one she liked, so she bought one and modified it herself.  I had to share with you all.

And the inside.

She's an amazing kid.  Pretty bright to as it seems.
The certainty with which I know another man's religion is folly makes me suspect my own is also - Mark Twain

Dear Religion,
Today we safely brought a man back from outer space, while you shot a child in the face for wanting to go to school.
Sincerely,
Science

hermes2015

Quote from: Skeptik on October 19, 2017, 04:24:28 AM
So, I haven't been very active on here for a while, with law school taking most of my time these days.  Working full time, going to school until 9:00 pm and trying to find a way to still be a decent husband and dad leaves little time for leisure.

But a few months ago on my birthday, my daughter (14 years old) was looking for me a birthday card.  She couldn't find one she liked, so she bought one and modified it herself.  I had to share with you all.

And the inside.

She's an amazing kid.  Pretty bright to as it seems.

That is impressive. You should be so proud of her and that you have been such a great parent.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Yes! Another one saved from being a sheep!

Well done, Skeptic - and daughter.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dragonia

That's adorable! She seems like one cool cat. 8)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

OldGit

Biggus Dickus

Very cool, and what an intelligent sense of humor for such a lady... 8)

I meant to say "Young Lady".
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

Please give her a hug on behalf of an old man from far away........(no not the imaginary old man in the sky) 

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Skeptik

She's pretty awesome.

Recently she had an English paper where she had to present an unpopular opinion and defend it.  Hers was about the absurdity of religion.  To defend her position she focused solely on the lack of evidence and how christianity is no more likely to be true than any of the others.

I never told her what to think.  I simply taught her to question everything and never to believe something because you want it to be true.  Demand evidence and go wherever that evidence leads you.

Turns out she thinks religion is bullshit.  Who woulda thought?   Hehehehe
The certainty with which I know another man's religion is folly makes me suspect my own is also - Mark Twain

Dear Religion,
Today we safely brought a man back from outer space, while you shot a child in the face for wanting to go to school.
Sincerely,
Science

SisterAgatha

Your daughter is a precocious young lady, but her whole replacing "the Universe" with God doesn't have the same ring to it.

Suspending your disbelief for a moment, God is all love and joy and peace (if you believe in that sort of thing.)

The universe is fascinating, intricate and complex..but it is hardly benevelent.

It doesn't really seem to care about anyone, and while the facts of the universe (big bang) are interesting...I don't really see why they would make anyone's day.

I guess what Im saying is that God and the Universe are not really interchangeable all the time...and that at some level we need God and and His law..even if some people don't believe them

Dave

QuoteThe universe is fascinating, intricate and complex..but it is hardly benevelent.

But it is real, Aggie, not a product of the imagination. If you want love and kindness you will only find it with your fellow humans. Your god is a jealous god, a vicious genocidal god guilty of many crimes according to your holy book.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: SisterAgatha on November 25, 2017, 09:32:30 PM
I guess what Im saying is that God and the Universe are not really interchangeable all the time...and that at some level we need God and and His law..even if some people don't believe them

I think "if you believe that sort of thing" applies here as well. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Guardian85

Quote from: SisterAgatha on November 25, 2017, 09:32:30 PM
Suspending your disbelief for a moment, God is all love and joy and peace (if you believe in that sort of thing.)
Except for the stonings, beheadings, human sacrifices, genocides..... (if you believe that sort of thing.)  ::)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-