News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

DNA TESTING

Started by Biggus Dickus, July 14, 2017, 03:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

So I'm interested in getting my DNA tested, not for medical reasons, but purely with regards to genealogical interest.

Of course there is an overwhelming line of online sites and testing services available, and to be quite honest I'm a bit unsure which service I should use.

For example this site lists what they refer to as the Top 10 DNA Test Kits

The following site, which has loads of information and is really cool (DNAeXplained – Genetic Genealogy) was extremely helpful in explaining in some detail the 4 different types of DNA used in Genetic testing.

I basically came away with the following understanding.

• Y Line DNA (Y chromosome which is for men only, due to the fact that only males have the Y chromosone
  • Mitochrondiral DNS (Males carry this type which they receive from their mother, so it is only passed on by females)
  • Autosonal DNA (This tests the rest of DNA present as provided by both parents?
  • X Chromosome ( Males inherit an X chromosome from their mother, along with a Y from their father which makes them male, but women inherit an X from both of their parents

I'm interested in being tested for the following two reasons.

• Ethnicity – Who Am I? – Breakdown by Various World Regions
  • Genealogy – Cousin Matching and Ancestor Search/Verification

So I thought I would inquire here at HAF and see if anyone else has ever looked into these test themselves and/or had testing done, and who might eve offer me some much needed direction as to which type or more importantly which site I should use?

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated. 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

I don't want to do that, then the shadow government will have my DNA and will be able to make clone slaves of me after cataclysm.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I haven't had testing done and even though I would like to part of me is afraid of what they might find. :p

Autosomal DNA is every chromosome except the sex chromosomes (XX for female mammals and XY for male mammals).
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

I thought the mother's egg determined the sex. It either has xx chromosomes or xy chromosomes.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Arturo on July 14, 2017, 05:10:09 PM
I thought the mother's egg determined the sex. It either has xx chromosomes or xy chromosomes.

No, just like every other chromosome pair, one comes from the mother and the other comes from the father. What determines the sex in mammals is the Y chromosome. If you have it you're male, if you don't, you're female.

joeactor

I'd be interested in hearing what you find out...

Looked into the Telomere testing a while back. (they're the endcaps on your dna - they shorten as you age)

Found some early studies showing lifestyle (smoking, obesity, etc), can prematurely shorten them.

Later studies also showed that a healthy lifestyle could lengthen them... Not sure what that means for overall longevity, but it is interesting to me.

Icarus

I have wondered whether this is just a scam to separate us from our money.

I too would like to know some of the things that these tests might reveal about our ancestry.  One could have some misgivings about the possibility of our having descended from Attilla the Hun, Martin Luther, Joan of Arc, One of Alexanders elephants,  or........ well you get the idea.

Given the choice I'd want to be descended from the likes of Tycho Brahe or maybe Archimedes. How 'bout you? Who would you prefer as an ancestor? 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on July 14, 2017, 06:57:42 PM
How 'bout you? Who would you prefer as an ancestor?

Not Adam and Eve, that's for sure.  ;D

Arturo

Quote from: Icarus on July 14, 2017, 06:57:42 PM
I have wondered whether this is just a scam to separate us from our money.

I too would like to know some of the things that these tests might reveal about our ancestry.  One could have some misgivings about the possibility of our having descended from Attilla the Hun, Martin Luther, Joan of Arc, One of Alexanders elephants,  or........ well you get the idea.

Given the choice I'd want to be descended from the likes of Tycho Brahe or maybe Archimedes. How 'bout you? Who would you prefer as an ancestor?

A dinosaur. And Montezuma.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on July 14, 2017, 04:31:50 PM
I don't want to do that, then the shadow government will have my DNA and will be able to make clone slaves of me after cataclysm.

Excellent picture of you, Davin. :snicker:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Father Bruno, my daughter took one of those test. Here are her results:
Ancestry DNA (TM)

REGION APPROXIMATE AMOUNT
Africa 12%
Africa North 5%
Trace Regions 7%
America 34%
Native American 34%
Europe 53%
Iberian Peninsula 30%
Scandinavia 8%
European Jewish 6%
Trace Regions 9%
West Asia < 1%

Remember, she was born in the USA, so this is half of her father's DNA and mine. I think it's interesting because my grandpa was born in Spain, which explains the --Iberian Peninsula 30%. Her father and I were born in El Salvador which explains the --America 34%. What I don't understand is the other ones, especially the --Scandinavia 8%. Either her father is related to Asmodean, or I am.  :worried:

;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on July 15, 2017, 12:25:02 AM
Father Bruno, my daughter took one of those test. Here are her results:
Ancestry DNA (TM)

REGION APPROXIMATE AMOUNT
Africa 12%
Africa North 5%
Trace Regions 7%
America 34%
Native American 34%
Europe 53%
Iberian Peninsula 30%
Scandinavia 8%
European Jewish 6%
Trace Regions 9%
West Asia < 1%

Wow people came from all over and focused into one point to make one child. Grats.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

So...how many of you are aware of the Ancestor Paradox?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 15, 2017, 01:56:29 AM
So...how many of you are aware of the Ancestor Paradox?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

That explains a lot.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on July 15, 2017, 01:23:25 AM
Wow people came from all over and focused into one point to make one child. Grats.
That's an interesting way of looking at it.  ;)