News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Hey Mags!!

Started by Biggus Dickus, June 27, 2017, 10:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Hey Mags,

This comic probably fits most of us here, but yeah...how am I supposed to be happy if heaven is real?

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on September 03, 2019, 12:54:16 AM
Hey Mags,

This comic probably fits most of us here, but yeah...how am I supposed to be happy if heaven is real?

So true.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Hey Mags. This morning I was listening to  PBS radio.  The participants  said the the US is composed of 18% Hispanics.  Later they said that there is a difference between Hispanics, Latinos, and Spaniards.  I am trying to sort out that distinction. I did learn that Spaniard is a term used to describe people with a heritage that originated in Spain.   Incidentally the term Spaniard is not to be taken as a derogatory description. 

Can you help me understand the differences between the two other distinctions.  I am given to understand that the two types do not wish to be confused with the other.  I am addressing you because I figure that you will be more knowledgeable about such stuff, the stuff about which gringos are confused.  How do Cubans fit into those categories? 

When I was a kid I was fostered for a while by a family with the name Fernandez. They were most insistent that their heritage was pure Castillian, even though we lived in a neighborhood that was largely of Cuban background.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on September 04, 2019, 03:09:34 AM
Hey Mags. This morning I was listening to  PBS radio.  The participants said the US is composed of 18% Hispanics.  Later they said that there is a difference between Hispanics, Latinos, and Spaniards.  I am trying to sort out that distinction. I did learn that Spaniard is a term used to describe people with a heritage that originated in Spain.   Incidentally, the term Spaniard is not to be taken as a derogatory description. 

Can you help me understand the differences between the two other distinctions?  I am given to understand that the two types do not wish to be confused with the other.  I am addressing you because I figure that you will be more knowledgeable about such stuff, the stuff about which gringos are confused.  How do Cubans fit into those categories? 

When I was a kid I was fostered for a while by a family with the name Fernandez. They were most insistent that their heritage was pure Castillian, even though we lived in a neighborhood that was large of Cuban background.
OK.

A Spaniard is someone who was born in Spain.

A Latino is someone who was born in the Latin American continent. It's more about geography than language.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

A Hispanic is a term used here in the USA to define a Spanish-speaking person living in the USA. I think this term is used more in the East Coast, where you live.

:shrug:  I guess they didn't know what to call all of us, so Hispanic was a term coined by the U.S. Government in the 1970 Census to describe anyone who speaks Spanish and lives here in the USA.

If I was a person who was born in El Salvador, living in El Salvador, I would mainly refer to myself as Salvadoreño, Centro Americano,  or Latinoamericano, but never as a Hispanic or Spaniard.

A little bit confusing, isn't it?  :whew:

Edit: Added the word: Centro Americano

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

:love: this place. I learn something every day.  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on September 04, 2019, 07:27:47 AM
:love: this place. I learn something every day.  ;D
Me too.  :grin:
I learn something every day. Something always makes me smile or laugh-out-loud.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Magdalena on September 04, 2019, 06:10:33 AM
Quote from: Icarus on September 04, 2019, 03:09:34 AM
Hey Mags. This morning I was listening to  PBS radio.  The participants said the US is composed of 18% Hispanics.  Later they said that there is a difference between Hispanics, Latinos, and Spaniards.  I am trying to sort out that distinction. I did learn that Spaniard is a term used to describe people with a heritage that originated in Spain.   Incidentally, the term Spaniard is not to be taken as a derogatory description. 

Can you help me understand the differences between the two other distinctions?  I am given to understand that the two types do not wish to be confused with the other.  I am addressing you because I figure that you will be more knowledgeable about such stuff, the stuff about which gringos are confused.  How do Cubans fit into those categories? 

When I was a kid I was fostered for a while by a family with the name Fernandez. They were most insistent that their heritage was pure Castillian, even though we lived in a neighborhood that was large of Cuban background.
OK.

A Spaniard is someone who was born in Spain.

A Latino is someone who was born in the Latin American continent. It's more about geography than language.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

A Hispanic is a term used here in the USA to define a Spanish-speaking person living in the USA. I think this term is used more in the East Coast, where you live.

:shrug:  I guess they didn't know what to call all of us, so Hispanic was a term coined by the U.S. Government in the 1970 Census to describe anyone who speaks Spanish and lives here in the USA.

If I was a person who was born in El Salvador, living in El Salvador, I would mainly refer to myself as Salvadoreño, Centro Americano,  or Latinoamericano, but never as a Hispanic or Spaniard.

A little bit confusing, isn't it?  :whew:

Edit: Added the word: Centro Americano

What do you call yourself?

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 04, 2019, 02:49:50 PM
Even though I live in the USA, I don't refer to myself as Hispanic. If that's the only option they give me to check on a form, I would check Hispanic, but only on paper. I mainly call myself:
Salvadoran, Central American, or Latina.

I have a question for you. What do you think about people born in the USA being called, Anglo-Saxon? I grew up hearing that word a lot, "Los anglosajones." It was a synonym for "gringo."

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Magdalena on September 04, 2019, 04:17:01 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 04, 2019, 02:49:50 PM
Even though I live in the USA, I don't refer to myself as Hispanic. If that's the only option they give me to check on a form, I would check Hispanic, but only on paper. I mainly call myself:
Salvadoran, Central American, or Latina.

I have a question for you. What do you think about people born in the USA being called, Anglo-Saxon? I grew up hearing that word a lot, "Los anglosajones." It was a synonym for "gringo."

Most whites in the USA are not "Anglo-Saxon" - that's basically British - and comes from a Germanic background - but most whites in the US from the British Isles are Scotts or Irish.  I don't mind "white", and I really don't mind "gringo", if I know the person.  As long as you can keep it funny, you can call me anything.  But I prefer "The Dude", because I abide.

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 04, 2019, 04:55:19 PM
...But I prefer "The Dude", because I abide.

The dude abiding.  :grin:

Icarus

Thanks for the explanation and video Mags.

Magdalena

Biggus Dickus

Happy New Year Mags! 8)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on January 02, 2020, 03:01:24 AM
Happy New Year Mags! 8)

Awwwwwwwwwwww!!! My favorite ape is back.   :tellmemore:
Happy New Year to you too, Papasito Bruno:devil2:

How have you been?