News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Greatest Invention ever?

Started by Claireliontamer, June 15, 2017, 08:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: Gloucester on June 17, 2017, 06:36:02 AM
Quote from: Ali on June 17, 2017, 02:26:06 AM
I'm super fond of phone charging cords that can be plugged into wall plugs, computers, and car adapters. All with one cord! What a world.

You mean the good old USB cable, Ali? Yeah, I remember the dsys when I had a different charger for each telephone, camera, tablet or whatever. Had to sort through a drawerful of power lumps looking at the labels I had stuck on them to get the right one! Now its two chargers plugged in, two different USB plugs, that serve all but one of my technology things.
Haha, I honestly forgot that they have uses other than charging my phone, but yes, the old tried and true USB cord.

Icarus

Not to demean my very esteemed Brit friends but................I take issue with the notion or claim that the Brits invented concrete or some of the other notations.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on June 23, 2017, 01:35:10 AM
Not to demean my very esteemed Brit friends but................I take issue with the notion or claim that the Brits invented concrete or some of the other notations.

The Romans certainly got there before us with the precast dome units in the Pantheon of about 126CE

Still in near perfect condition

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Claireliontamer

Details of the nominations are here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5QRlT3MhZLnsTjrGswV2FlJ/which-invention-won-britains-greatest-invention

They are claiming concrete because of Portland Cement invented by Brit Joseph Aspdin in 1824.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 23, 2017, 09:48:02 AM
Details of the nominations are here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5QRlT3MhZLnsTjrGswV2FlJ/which-invention-won-britains-greatest-invention

They are claiming concrete because of Portland Cement invented by Brit Joseph Aspdin in 1824.

Impressive list, and I easily, and fully agree with Antibiotics as the winner, as the lives saved with this advancement are clearly staggering...of course some may argue that without the printing press for example, which enabled learned information to be shared globally we would never had reached a point where we could have invented antibiotics, but why not take it further back in time and say without early man learning how to tame and produce fire on his own to warm and light his environment, etc...we wouldn't have had ever reached the point where we could invent anything?

I think advancements in health are the most important to humanity, others while impressive and clearly helpful in allowing us to live more product and easier lives pale in comparison to the health benefits of medicine.

Probably one of our greatest achievements as humans is the sewer system, and the ability to transport waste away from the population centers, where it can be treated thus dramatically reducing the risk of lethal bacterial infections such as cholera or dysentery. I also think it is one we take for granted and don't really think about.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

Personally if I were German I'd be seriously pissed off to see the Brits claiming they invented the jet engine. While technically true it's a fact that apart from one market (helicopters) all modern jet engines have a compressor section that follows the German axial compressor design. The radial compressor of the Whittle engine was a dead end because its cross section increases with power while the axial type increases in length. The first jet to fly was also German.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on June 23, 2017, 09:04:40 PM
Personally if I were German I'd be seriously pissed off to see the Brits claiming they invented the jet engine. While technically true it's a fact that apart from one market (helicopters) all modern jet engines have a compressor section that follows the German axial compressor design. The radial compressor of the Whittle engine was a dead end because its cross section increases with power while the axial type increases in length. The first jet to fly was also German.

And they developed it faster and further along with the aircraft. I oncecread thst Hitler's insistance that all effort be turned towards high speed jet bombers and this actually held them back.

Whilst we in Controversyland, there is, apparently, evidence that one John Stringfellow, of Chard, England, beat the Wright brothers to powered flight.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on June 23, 2017, 09:15:11 PM
Whilst we in Controversyland, there is, apparently, evidence that one John Stringfellow, of Chard, England, beat the Wright brothers to powered flight.

Brazilian Santos-Drumont also beat the Wright Brothers in flying a practical airplane.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

And I'm sure everyone's father beat them in making the PAPER airplane lol
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tom62

A couple of my favourites: deodorant, mini skirts and bikinis, the bicycle, electric guitar and synthesizer.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

Essie Mae

Quote from: Father Bruno on June 23, 2017, 01:36:28 PM

Probably one of our greatest achievements as humans is the sewer system, and the ability to transport waste away from the population centers, where it can be treated thus dramatically reducing the risk of lethal bacterial infections such as cholera or dysentery. I also think it is one we take for granted and don't really think about.

Some people take issue with this in spite of the advantages you mention. I was only reading about this the other day and I'll try to find the article. The composting toilet is thought to be much superior. I took a class to a Celtic Harmony Centre near Hertford when I was teaching and there was no choice but to use one. Each time you'd done what you needed to do, you covered it up with soil from the container next to the loo. This was an ongoing process and unwilling as I was, as the teacher I had to lead by example, pick up a handful of the resulting compost from the bottom of the unit that went to the outside, and sniff it. It was amazingly fresh and clean smelling, and used as compost on the garden.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

It was mentioned on the radio today that the British 999 emergency number (in 1937) - the first ever - and its later varieties was an important life saving invention.

Since that would not work without the telephone, of equal bane and boon, one has to give that a little credit as well I suppose!

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

No one

I thought you were Jeff Goldblum, not Steve Jobs.