News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Children in Foster Care?

Started by WogglebugLovingFilms, December 14, 2016, 06:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WogglebugLovingFilms

Does anyone know of any children, or people who have any, who are in or are from foster care, living with foster parents, ect? I am interested in research on this subject for a special purpose. I have heard that many foster children often develop certain fears that are sometimes unusual that may or may not be about the reasons as to why they were placed in the foster care system in the first place, even when it was for the very best of reasons. And also I may be interested in how likely or unlikely it would be for a foster child to become religious whether or not their foster parents were. I'll explain my reasons for this research later.
"We are of the Universe. No Gods Needed."

"Your Mind is a Garden. Your Thoughts are the Seeds. You Can Grow Flowers or You Can Grow Weeds."

"Always Remember Your Current Situation is Not the Final Destination. The Best is Yet to Come."

Asmodean

Well... I know a foster parent. I've met the kids, but I don't know them beyond face and name recognition. Also, I keep in touch with some former group home kids and one former foster kid. My "merry band of strays."

I may offer some limited assistance with your questions if Norway is an applicable area of inquiry. However, I take privacy very seriously and, as such, I will not answer any direct questions of personal nature on behalf of others without their informed consent. I'm quite happy to discuss in general terms though, with no identifying marks of any kind.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

My grand-aunt adopted a girl before having her own children, and she told her early on that she was adopted. The adopted is a middle-aged adult now and she turned out normal.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

SisterAgatha

For the record I think that Foster children deserve better than having some atheist as their forster parent. Just saying.

Recusant

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 02, 2017, 03:34:21 PM
For the record I think that Foster children deserve better than having some atheist as their forster parent. Just saying.

That certainly looks like bigotry, SisterAgatha. Do you think it is? If you don't think so, can you explain why it isn't bigotry? Do you think that being raised by atheists is harmful to children? If so, can you explain why you think that?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

SisterAgatha

Its harmful because it denies them access to God.

Part of me feels children should be taken away from atheists, placed in Catholic care centers and adopted by pious Catholics.

That way they won't be denied God or made to view him in an angry and false light

Dave

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 02, 2017, 04:10:31 PM

Part of me feels children should be taken away from atheists, placed in Catholic care centers and adopted by pious Catholics.

That way they won't be denied God or made to view him in an angry and false light

Well, I think it gives the kids more of a chance to read and research for themsrlves and make their own choice between free thought or indoctrination. Not saying there aren't rampant antitheists out there and I feel as much against giving kids to them as giving them to the tender, but probably equally as  restrictive, care of theists.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

I thought god was every where. How strong is man who can overpower a god.

Quote from: SisterAgathaPart of me feels children should be taken away from atheists, placed in Catholic care centers and adopted by pious Catholics.
Because Catholics have never ill treated children....

Quote from: SisterAgathaThat way they won't be denied God or made to view him in an angry and false light
Or see god in an honest light, am I right?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

OK, thank you for at least responding to part of my post. Why did you ignore my first question, SisterAgatha? I'm going to speculate that it's because you don't want to confront your own position. You'd rather not think about whether it's bigoted to want to keep children who need a good home from having such a home if it's the home of atheists. You don't want to acknowledge that atheists are just as capable as Christians of loving and giving the very best care possible to foster children. Instead you focus on one particular thing that you happen to think is very important, never mind the fact that an atheist household can be a great place for a child to grow up in.

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 02, 2017, 04:10:31 PMPart of me feels children should be taken away from atheists, placed in Catholic care centers and adopted by pious Catholics.

Pious Catholics are already able to adopt children, SisterAgatha. Yet there are many children who don't have families. What possible reason do you have to think that keeping atheists from adopting children will improve that situation?

As for your idea of taking children away from loving families just because the parents happen to be atheist, that is simply disgusting, but it's certainly in line with a long-standing disregard for human decency that has been a part of the Catholic church for its entire existence. Congratulations on upholding that tradition. :sadnod:

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 02, 2017, 04:10:31 PMThat way they won't be denied God or made to view him in an angry and false light

First, many people who grew up in Catholic households became atheists. In the online atheist census 29.6% of respondents are ex-Catholics, while all other Christian denominations account for 35.1%.

Second, your prejudice is showing. You're assuming that atheists view your god in an "angry and false light." You're also assuming that a child raised in an atheist household is being 'denied God.' Do you actually believe that your god is incapable of reaching out to a child? That unless a child is indoctrinated by Catholic parents, the child will never be able to hear your god speaking to them? Do you think your god is that feeble?

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

SisterAgatha

Look. God can of course reach out to people and invite him to join his one true Church.

Even the Pope says you atheists can go to heaven. Im not so sure about that, but who am I to argue with the Pope.

I think you guys are snarky and entertaining.... but I don't think children be raised in a household that doesn't emphasize good morals. Im sorry I don't.

Recusant

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 02, 2017, 06:34:46 PM
Look. God can of course reach out to people and invite him to join his one true Church.

Even the Pope says you atheists can go to heaven. Im not so sure about that, but who am I to argue with the Pope.

I think you guys are snarky and entertaining.... but I don't think children be raised in a household that doesn't emphasize good morals. Im sorry I don't.

The Catholic church doesn't have a monopoly on "good morals" SisterAgatha. Far from it.

So far you've failed utterly to justify your position. You've completely ignored my questions about what appear to be nothing but expressions of bigotry on your part. You are free to do so, but that leaves me to draw my own conclusions, and they aren't in the least complimentary to you.
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on October 02, 2017, 06:44:40 PM

The Catholic church doesn't have a monopoly on "good morals" SisterAgatha. Far from it.

So far you've failed utterly to justify your position. You've completely ignored my questions about what appear to be nothing but expressions of bigotry on your part. You are free to do so, but that leaves me to draw my own conclusions, and they aren't in the least complimentary to you.
And doing an in depth analysis of of any given million professed carholics I woukd think stands a bloody good chance of finding a similar spread from "good" to "evil", from moral to immoral, from honest to dudhinest etc as with a similar group of any other belief or non-belief system.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 02, 2017, 03:34:21 PM

This is about as good as an example of trolling as one could find.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant