News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

My parents sent me to a mental hospital for being an atheist.

Started by MatureMcLeod, July 22, 2016, 08:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Going back and reading this I'm convinced that the OP is parody of some sort. Notice that the whole event happened "today".  No way all that could happen in one day.  I think he just made it up to highlight what he sees as Christian abuses and dangerous dogma.  Interesting literary device.

Siz

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 23, 2016, 08:48:23 PM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on July 23, 2016, 04:35:41 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 23, 2016, 04:31:27 PM
Uh, is this true?  I don't know a place in the USA where someone would be put in a straight jacket under these circumstances.  Where did this happen?

Yeah... If this is accurate, this place should be reported and investigated. There are a lot of things here that don't sound legal at all.

I'm not at all convinced this is legit, but I await a response from the poster.

Aww dammit! I was just beta-testing my sympathy subroutines ready to go online. Guess I'll have to factory reset parameters back to 'stop whining' default and start again.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Siz on July 24, 2016, 04:55:50 PM
Uh, is this true?  I don't know a place in the USA where someone would be put in a straight jacket under these circumstances.  Where did this happen?

Yeah... If this is accurate, this place should be reported and investigated. There are a lot of things here that don't sound legal at all.

Aww dammit! I was just beta-testing my sympathy subroutines ready to go online. Guess I'll have to factory reset parameters back to 'stop whining' default and start again.

So if that was you (not sure who or what to believe now), I can offer some suggestions.  Don't be quite so over-the-top.  Religion can be bad, but the complaints must be believable if you want to trick someone into accepting you into the victim community.  Keep it real.

Remember "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 24, 2016, 05:00:31 PM

So if that was you (not sure who or what to believe now), I can offer some suggestions.  Don't be quite so over-the-top.  Religion can be bad, but the complaints must be believable if you want to trick someone into accepting you into the victim community.  Keep it real.

MatureMcloud is posting from the USA and has nothing to do with Siz.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Pasta Chick

I mean, it does sound really out there. But especially without having much background, I'm not willing to immediately write it off. These types of places do exist, especially in "off the grid" religious communities that basically self-police. If this is legit, the person involved needs to be believed and needs resources to get out.

What doesn't really line up for me is how someone in one of those communities is routinely online, let alone on an atheist forum, spewing quite a bit of hard-line hate.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on July 24, 2016, 05:36:41 PM

MatureMcloud is posting from the USA and has nothing to do with Siz.

OK.  Thanks.  So I'm still waiting for Mature to give some details that substantiate his claim.  Right now it's in the "Pants on Fire" category. 

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Pasta Chick on July 24, 2016, 06:44:27 PM
These types of places do exist, especially in "off the grid" religious communities that basically self-police. If this is legit, the person involved needs to be believed and needs resources to get out.

If it's legit then I'll take back everything I said.  But a "Christian hospital" that basically kidnaps people for being atheists? Where does that exist?  Who licenses that kind of facility?  I work for a hospital system that has religious ties to Baptists.  There are Methodist, Adventist, Presbyterian and Catholic hospitals all over the country.  None of them would do this.  I'm just not convinced.

Siz

I was just expressing my near-sympathy at this kid's ostensible plight. But if your suspicions are correct (which I'm not sure I share) then I'd have to reset my emotion chip.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 24, 2016, 07:00:21 PM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on July 24, 2016, 06:44:27 PM
These types of places do exist, especially in "off the grid" religious communities that basically self-police. If this is legit, the person involved needs to be believed and needs resources to get out.

If it's legit then I'll take back everything I said.  But a "Christian hospital" that basically kidnaps people for being atheists? Where does that exist?  Who licenses that kind of facility?  I work for a hospital system that has religious ties to Baptists.  There are Methodist, Adventist, Presbyterian and Catholic hospitals all over the country.  None of them would do this.  I'm just not convinced.

They aren't conventional medical hospitals, and they certainly aren't liscenced. They're extensions of the church that rely on prayer, repentance, redemption, banishing demons and so forth.

Ecurb Noselrub

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 24, 2016, 09:21:46 PM
OK, still waiting for verification from Poster.

One possible concern is that the poster is genuine, if exagerating the situation, and a bit paranoid. Being challenged here could then ensure that we are perceived as part of the threat and therefore to be avoided.

Therapists may have to overcome the, "If you are not with me you are against me," barrier when they do not immediately side with the client.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on July 24, 2016, 10:01:41 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 24, 2016, 09:21:46 PM
OK, still waiting for verification from Poster.

One possible concern is that the poster is genuine, if exagerating the situation, and a bit paranoid. Being challenged here could then ensure that we are perceived as part of the threat and therefore to be avoided.

Therapists may have to overcome the, "If you are not with me you are against me," barrier when they do not immediately side with the client.
Yes. Presumed innocent until proven guilty.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2016, 12:05:42 AM
OK, this is fine.  I'll wait and see.

Well, whichever MM is, trollish, genuine or somewhere between,, chances are he has gone elsewhere after being challenged.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Gloucester on July 25, 2016, 09:06:56 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2016, 12:05:42 AM
OK, this is fine.  I'll wait and see.

Well, whichever MM is, trollish, genuine or somewhere between,, chances are he has gone elsewhere after being challenged.

So, was it wrong for me to challenge?