News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Favorite Quotes

Started by Biggus Dickus, March 08, 2016, 10:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

"Juliet's cleanliness was next to godliness, which was to say it was erratic, past all understanding and was seldom seen."

"Unseen Academicals" by Terry Pratchett:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

^^ I knew a similar person, nice quote.

Do not pass by my epitaph, traveler.
But having stopped, listen and learn, then go your way.
There is no boat in Hades, no ferryman Charon,
No caretaker Aiakos, no dog Cerberus.
All we who are dead below
Have become bones and ashes, but nothing else.
I have spoken to you honestly, go on, traveler,
Lest even while dead I seem talkative to you.

Ancient Roman tombstone

I really like this, came across it by accident while browsing. You know if I was going to have a tombstone I would consider putting this on it...I used to want to put "Fuck Off" on my tombstone, but I'm going to be cremated so I'm out of luck in that regard.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

OldGit

Dave

I have always liked the cranks of the world so here are some cranky quotations:

QuoteSure I'm a crank: "a small element in a machine that makes revolutions"
E. F. "Small is beautiful" Schumacher, described as a "humane economist".

QuoteI am an enthusiast, but not a crank in the sense that I have some pet theories as to the proper construction of a flying machine. I wish to avail myself of all that is already known and then, if possible, add my mite to help on the future worker who will attain final success.
Wilbur Wright.

A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds.
Mark Twain

QuoteIf we like a man's dream, we call him a reformer; if we don't like his dream, we call him a crank.
William Dean Howells

Biggus Dickus

I came across this quote earlier this morning on a writing website, and I love it.

"If you're looking for sympathy you'll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary." ― David Sedaris

Dave

Quote from: Father Bruno on June 15, 2017, 02:06:04 PM
I came across this quote earlier this morning on a writing website, and I love it.

"If you're looking for sympathy you'll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary." ― David Sedaris

Sedaris is a great raconteur, one if the dryest and wryest humours I have heard.

Dave

A long gone Liveral party leader, either Jeremy Thorpe or Jo Grimond,  was once asked, "What are the three best things in life?"

His reply was, "The drink before and the cigarette after."

Biggus Dickus

More and more as I get older I find myself enjoying the quite of solitude (Even beyond moments when I'm not meditating)

"All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone." ~ Blaise Pascal

"If you're lonely when you're alone, you're in bad company." ~ Jean-Paul Sartre

"Then stirs the feeling infinite, so felt in solitude, where we are least alone." ~ Lord Byron, 'Childe Harold's Pilgrimage'

"What a lovely surprise to finally discover how unlonely being alone can be." ~ Ellen Burstyn

"I had told people of my intention to be alone for a time. At once I realized they looked upon this declaration as a rejection of them and their company. I felt apologetic, even ashamed, that I would have wanted such a curious thing as solitude, and then sorry that I had made a point of announcing my desire for it. ... To the spouse, or the long-time companion, or the family, and to the social circle, as it is called, the decision to be alone for any length of time is dangerous, threatening, a sign of rejection. ... Having never felt the need to be alone themselves, having always lived happily in relationships, they looked upon my need as eccentric, even somewhat mad. But more than that, they saw it as fraudulent, an excuse to be rid of them rather than a desperate need to explore myself." ~ Doris Grumbach, 'Fifty Days of Solitude'

Arturo

QuoteNothing is a struggle, but everything is a challenge.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Ali

"If you can't say anything nice about anybody, come sit by me." - Clairee in Steel Magnolias

"I can live for two months on a good compliment." - Mark Twain

"I don't know much about being a millionaire, but I bet I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Ali

Oh! Another good one from Dorothy Parker:

"That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment."

Arturo

"Times New Roman in the streets, Comic Sans in the sheets" - Mia Khalifa

I put this one here because it made me laugh
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Biggus Dickus

"Soup dumplings, sitcoms and one-night-stands—good ones leave you wanting more."—Eddie Huang

Biggus Dickus

Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.

- Leonard Cohen -

Essie Mae

This quote from novelist and screenwriter Stephen Chbosky is very poignant when you think about it:

We accept the love we think we deserve.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare