Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Current Events / Re: Backsliding Southern Baptists
« Last post by Arturo on Today at 01:24:48 PM »
Those usually aren't use in vanity. Those are usually when something horrible happens and shouted out in exclamation. Maybe you might scream it out during sex depending who you are but most people I know aren't like that.

To clear up what I meant I'll try to describe what vanity is and how Atheists use the God's name and compare that with how Christians use it. Vanity is like the Evil Queen from Snow White asking the Mirror who is the fairest of them all and thinking of herself as she is saying it. In fact I'll just give the definition I pulled off of bing-

"excessive pride in or admiration of one's own appearance or achievements."

And well I think you'll get the picture now. None of us Atheists would do that. But Christians are the first to go and say "x" happened "because God" and "be thankful for the lord" ect ect.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
« Last post by Arturo on Today at 01:16:36 PM »
I just watched a video from Jordan Peterson . . .

Personally I wouldn't believe a damn thing that mendacious clickbait merchant says without doing my own research.

It's very difficult to do research on psychology because 1) it's a very useful way to control people by lying to them and 2) most things I find only because I type "psychology" into the search box which further supports the problem in number 1)

However I do have the ability to know a few people in this field because of my unique personal situation. And some of the things that I try out from this guy are not that bad in fact. They have helped me with quite a few things but I think he puts an uncalled for emphasis on the self help thing he is selling because lots of people think about that daily and that's something you can get help with from a counselor who actually knows you and is probably more likely to help you.

And he does do a lot of criticizing of Men, and kind of rude as well. But at the same time says he wants to help them. So that personally turns me off but I listen to him because I think he is a valuable asset just like I listen to alot people on here.
Current Events / Re: Backsliding Southern Baptists
« Last post by Dave on Today at 01:14:15 PM »
I think vanity in God's name is the last thing an Atheist would do.

Gee, geez, blimey, cor blimey, strewth and a few others are all "indirect" blasphemies on the lips of non-Christians - according to Christians.

"OMG" gets a bit closer.

Jesus, Jesus Christ, Jesus H Christ, Christ (though that word stems from other words that predate the NT and have potentially nothing to do with holiness or Jesus, like "Bible" simply means "book", the Christians just, selfishly, grabbed the word for themselves), God, Lord etc are more directly "taking the lord's name in vain," even if used by a Christian other than as a prayer.

I have seen all of these used by atheists and humanists when they are, basically, meaningless swear words.
Science / Re: All things AI
« Last post by Arturo on Today at 01:06:49 PM »
AND THEN MAN CREATED MACHINE IN HIS OWN IMAGE
Current Events / Re: Global Peace Index (2017)
« Last post by Arturo on Today at 01:03:01 PM »
[...]. The trend seems to be going to world peace still at this moment. [...]

What on Earth gives you that idea? It does not apply locally or internationally so far as I can see.

Brazil sounds like it is at the same level of street violence as 18-19thC London, probably the most violent period in that city's history since the Middle Ages. Disadvantage, lack of priviledge, poverty, lack of true representation etc engender two responses, apathy and violence/crime. The lstter seems on the increase globally. Ignore what the politicians say, they bend facts to fit their own ends.

Because the data shows that murder is becoming less and less. Even in wars and conflicts, the death toll is still lower than 50 years ago. And it's been increasingly so for a long time now.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
« Last post by Recusant on Today at 01:02:35 PM »
I just watched a video from Jordan Peterson . . .

Personally I wouldn't believe a damn thing that mendacious clickbait merchant says without doing my own research.
Miscellaneous / Re: It's weird!
« Last post by Bluenose on Today at 01:02:33 PM »
Dave, you could try re-programming the clock with a large axe!

(apologies to Douglas Adams)
Current Events / Re: Global Peace Index (2017)
« Last post by Arturo on Today at 01:01:51 PM »
Brazil (106) doesn't look very peaceful...

You seem relatively safe. I haven't heard anything about you being attacked or violated in some way. So at least, even down in the ranks, the peace is still far above anarchy. The trend seems to be going to world peace still at this moment. Even if some people are having disagreements about how to get their needs met.

Hmm...Let's see...there was that time I was mugged on the street...and that other time I was mugged on the street...there was also that time I had a gun pointed at me during yet another mugging...I don't know...those kind of experiences are very common here.

My sister got mugged on the bus, and again while walking from work to the bus stop. Both were at gunpoint. On both occasions she was beaten because she refused to hand over her cellphone. She was lucky, considering.

And that's because we live in a relatively safe neighbourhood. I can only imagine what people who live in marginalised favelas or slums go through.

Brazil isn't at war with another country, but it is at war with crime. The freakin' president put the freakin' army on the streets of Rio to try and control a situation that's long gotten out of hand. The favelas might as well be other countries, with their parallel power...

So yeah. It's not very peaceful here.

Well sorry to hear that. I also apologize because I thought you were joking at first so I laughed at your first couple sentences. I do remember you speaking about your sister being mugged because of the cell phone back around when I first joined the forum. Sorry things are so out of hand there. But I'm glad you can still find the courage and capacity to work and not be intimidated at the idea of women working. Especially in the field you're in, because I love it so much. So props to you for that :thumbsup2:
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Should we talk about the weather?
« Last post by Bluenose on Today at 12:59:24 PM »
^

Thanks, Hermes, I very much enjoyed that!

We might do Flanders and Swann sometime. Ah, memories . . .

That's a good idea, but will anyone else here like Flanders and Swann?

I can't tell, I'm covered in all this mud, mud, glorious mud....
Miscellaneous / Re: It's weird!
« Last post by Dave on Today at 12:57:46 PM »
Wow that is a strange sound for a clock to make there Dave.

That's what you get for buying cheap Chinese made clocks with sloppy gear trains and tinny cases!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10