Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Media / Re: A Game of Thrones (Full of spoilers!)
« Last Post by xSilverPhinx on Today at 06:38:46 AM »
Has everyone watched the latest episode yet?  :sidesmile:

:P But Brasília is around 2,200 km away from where I live.  ;)  That would only take away from my peace of mind because I would worry incessantly that the HAFer is safe themselves.

I think Gene and I could handle it. We'd be like Ben Matlock and the guy who went on to costar in Walker Texas Ranger. Do you have hotdogs in Brazil? If we're going to make this work Gene is going to have to hunt for hotdogs while we're solving the case.

Yes, we have hotdogs. I hear they can be quite ferocious :grin:

Spoiler: show
Science / Re: All things brain...
« Last Post by Gloucester on Today at 02:57:07 AM »
The "enhanced brain" on the way?

This does not fit into the AI thread, or any other I can see, but it does have, literally, a link with the human brain. It is a "threat recognition system" that seems to use the brain's EEG signals to identify targets. I presume, and hope, the brain's owner is allerted then he or she makes some sort of conscious decision as to further action.

But still a bit frightening...

DARPA threat detection technology uses a camera to see targets, software and soldier brains to identify them[/url]
The Jesus of the Bible is clearly a fictionalized person at best. However, the existence of 'just a man' Jesus who preached in the Roman province of Judea early in the 1st century is the question under consideration. Though not impossible, it is extremely difficult to prove a negative. The mythicists have set themselves a hard row to hoe, and some of the most vocal of them don't do their cause any favors by pretending to a certainty that really doesn't exist.
Religion / Re: Michele Bachman Has a New Job
« Last Post by Recusant on Today at 01:40:49 AM »
Hang on, this is just a self claimed position? I thought someone had actually appointed her to a real post based on the title of the article.

I agree the piece in patheos is short on actual information and long on :haironfire:. With the reference to Bachman being part of the 'Evangelical Advisory Board,' the author more or less implies that this is another of Trump's brilliant ideas. Reading the Right Wing Watch articles though, it appears that the asshat Garlow created the 'ministry' and asked Bachman to carry it out. I should have used them as my source, rather than patheos.
Science / Re: artificial inteligence
« Last Post by Gloucester on Today at 12:08:46 AM »
There has been recent debate about "killer robots" and, in a BBC Workd Service item about the management of the Korean DMZ there was a mention of the Samsung SGR-A1 gun that can operate autonomously.

Despite my interest in how reality follows sc-fi I find this worrying. At the moment this is, hopefully, effectively a defence device in an area that all know is a no-go zone for people armed in any way. I remember a few years ago optical systems that could distinguish between a man carrying  a rifle and one carrying a broom.

The discrimination system has almost certainly improved since then and, potentially, this is an improvement over mine-fields, physical or optical "trip wires" and other non-discriminating systems. However it is still a worrying trend, especially when linked to the work on autonomous vehicles.

Are "Robot Wars" really on the edge of being a fact?

Later: rereading the Wiki article it seems the SGR-A1 may not be that discriminating if it only has IR detection. It does seem to have a "vision system" as well but is this "manual" only or backed up by an automated recognition system? Too secret to know.
Religion / Re: Michele Bachman Has a New Job
« Last Post by Gloucester on August 20, 2017, 11:07:13 PM »
It struck me as a bit strange that an international, and therefore mixed belief, including none at all, , diplomatic body should appoint a "pastor", or any kind of "chaplain", from a single faith system. Especially one as rabid as American evangelicalism tends to be. It causes enough trouble in the UK when a local council appoints a wimpy Anglican chaplain.

It does sounds like a case of, "I will save them despite their own sinful wishes." Typical arrogance.

G85 would be useful too. He is a warrior....yes?
Yes. And he's been drafted, again!
Curt here is a short vid that dances all around a possible answer to your question. One should ask themselves; who wrote the bible and its account of the Jesus person. Is that book a reliable source of information? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5pE2UKOCbA&t=120s
Current Events / Re: Charlottesville USA: Race and Terror
« Last Post by Father Bruno on August 20, 2017, 06:26:41 PM »
Vice Reporter: Charlottesville Protesters ‘Didn't Talk About Robert E. Lee…They Chanted About Jews'

“This was an unannounced event, but a very well-organized one,” she began. “When we arrived, there were vans dropping off white nationalists at the field. On the field, there were organizers doing crowd control, security, handing out tiki torches. They picked tiki torches as to be menacing, sometimes they call it a torch-lit vigil, because it’s supposed to be an offensive spin on a candlelight vigil.”

“Once they started marching, they didn't talk about Robert E. Lee being a brilliant military tactician, they chanted about Jews,” she said. “They wanted to be menacing, it's not an accident.”

Regardless of what Trump or any of the other racist supporters say the march of the Nazi's had nothing to do with statues.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10