News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Small celebrations

Started by Dave, September 19, 2018, 11:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 30, 2018, 04:12:35 PM
I can pronounce 'th' and don't pronounce the 't' in 'time' like...like Brazilians do. :grin:
But what's funny is how English speakers pronounce my first name, Fernanda. Makes me think of people dressed up as animals.  ::)

I'm intrigued: please explain more about the t sound.

I would pronounce your name "Fernahnda", with the first a as in "barn", not a short a as in apple. Am I wrong?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 30, 2018, 06:20:15 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 30, 2018, 04:12:35 PM
I can pronounce 'th' and don't pronounce the 't' in 'time' like...like Brazilians do. :grin:
But what's funny is how English speakers pronounce my first name, Fernanda. Makes me think of people dressed up as animals.  ::)

I'm intrigued: please explain more about the t sound.

I'll do better, found a video in which an accent coach briefly explains. :grin:

Starts at 2:38

The difficulty is mainly with words starting with 't', many Brazilians would say 'chew' instead of 'two' or 'time' with a weaker 't'.

QuoteI would pronounce your name "Fernahnda", with the first a as in "barn", not a short a as in apple. Am I wrong?

Oh...what do I say to that? :lol: I wouldn't say it's wrong, just different.

In Brazil it's pronounced more like 'Fair-nun-duh'. Here's an audio of someone from São Paulo saying it:

While her accent is not like mine, it's close enough.  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Thanks for that. I got your name almost right. I would actually say the "e" like the "ai" sound in air, but I did not specify that. Probably thought it went without saying!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Having been around many Spanish speakers I might have pronounced the R in you name with a rolling sounds as in a tongue flutter.  The Brazilian  apparently uses the first syllable as in aehr.  In any case I am pleased that we can  understand each other in most cases.

Tank

"The beauty of this forum is that the written word is a levelling field that eliminates any accent-related prejudices"

Not to mention race, gender, age, physical appearance and other causes of unconscious bias and prejudice.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Apparently all children are born with the ability to make all linguistic sounds but some are reinforced and some are not. Those sounds not reinforced can't be recreated at a later date, they can be mimicked in some cases but never truly regained.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 30, 2018, 07:24:33 PM
Thanks for that. I got your name almost right. I would actually say the "e" like the "ai" sound in air, but I did not specify that. Probably thought it went without saying!

Quote from: Icarus on October 01, 2018, 03:52:44 AM
Having been around many Spanish speakers I might have pronounced the R in you name with a rolling sounds as in a tongue flutter.  The Brazilian  apparently uses the first syllable as in aehr.  In any case I am pleased that we can  understand each other in most cases.

That's cool...what would the world be like if there were no people from different linguistic backgrounds to say your name in different ways? :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey