News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

The Art and things we've made thread...

Started by Claireliontamer, January 28, 2016, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claireliontamer

I can't find the original members art thread, so...... a new one :)

Whilst I've been recovering from this meningitis I've started a new project.  I picked up an old dollhouse very cheaply from eBay.  Here it is modelled by scampus:

The first job was to work on the chimney, we made little bricks from egg boxes and painted them:

I then attempted to make clay chimney pots and roof tiles....they need much more work.

So instead I started on making a rug, copying a William Morris design but scaled down to 1/12th:

Some more progress:

The house is a replica of a 'Stockbroker Tudor', basically houses rich city bankers built in the suburbs at the turn of the century so my idea is to try and replicate that era inside too.  There's a lot of work to do and I'm (well Scamp and I....but she wants to paint it all pink so she's currently suspended) having to learn everything as I go along.

Also, I'm back at work now so progress will slow down a lot!

Biggus Dickus

This looks like a fun project Claire, and that's a quaint little dollhouse you have there, almost more of a Doll Cottage. (Scamp is really cute by the way).

So you're redoing the outside? It looks like you removed the original faux roof covering from the original, and you say you are going to cover it with actual clay tiles? That's awesome...and i like the chimney, looks like real brick and mortar.

I hope you'll keep us abreast of your progress with additional photos, and maybe rehire Scamp to assist you? Pink with white trim might be nice? ;D

Nice looking needlepoint by the way.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

jumbojak

I might work on a pineapple twist this weekend and see how it turns out. Then I'll make a very tiny railing for your dollhouse Claire....

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Claireliontamer

Thanks Bruno,

It is fun if frustrating at times.  Yes I am redoing the outside, it did have a fake slate roof but it was really badly fitted and looked plastic so I decided to rip it off.  I think the house will look better (and more authentic) with a red tile roof, this may take a while but I think it'll be worth it in the end.

I'm really not a very artistic/creative person but I am quite methodical, have a steady hand and can copy things well.  I also get bored very easily so the appeal here is there are lots of very different things and techniques to do.

Also....there's a big dollhouse and miniature club near me so I may make some friends ;)

And JJ - I have that in writing now........

jumbojak

Certainly not art, but this hot cut should serve well once I get the proper profile on the bit. I really need to weld up a flatter so I can smooth out the hammer marks. I ran out of light today so hopefully I can get it tidied up sometime this week. Lots of heating and beating!

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Just put an edge on it. If you tidy it up too much it'll just look machine made. Which rather defeats to object don't you think?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

The bit needs to be thinned quite a bit. It's a tool, so I'm not all that concerned with appearance. I need it to cut effectively!

Biggus Dickus

JayJay I thought you were holding an icicle that you had snapped off the end of your beard...now I understand :scratch:

So don't those have less of angle at the end, like 30 degrees rather than 60 degrees for a regular chisel? Can't tell by the pic.

joeactor

Very cool house, Claire! Should look most excellent when you're through with it.

JJ - is that a hand-made chisel? Do you have a forge?

I'm not too crafty myself, but I did make a rainbow chicken curtain once:

Claireliontamer

Half term progress......

Tiled roof, complete with moss.....

Gable end with the new lego occupants...

jumbojak

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on February 17, 2016, 03:31:41 PM
JayJay I thought you were holding an icicle that you had snapped off the end of your beard...now I understand :scratch:

So don't those have less of angle at the end, like 30 degrees rather than 60 degrees for a regular chisel? Can't tell by the pic.

While I'm not sure what the angle is "supposed" to be I'm shooting for an included angle of 60°, just like a cold chisel. This part is not heat treated (given it's use, there wouldnt be much point to doing so) and I want to avoid rolling the edge.

jumbojak

Quote from: joeactor on February 17, 2016, 03:42:59 PM

Indeed it is and yes I do. Two forges actually, working on lucky number three to keep at the house.

joeactor

Quote from: jumbojak on February 17, 2016, 07:33:41 PM

Indeed it is and yes I do. Two forges actually, working on lucky number three to keep at the house.

Amazing - first person I've met with one... er... 3 ;-)

jumbojak

Quote from: joeactor on February 17, 2016, 08:18:03 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on February 17, 2016, 07:33:41 PM

Amazing - first person I've met with one... er... 3 ;-)

Joe, meet Magnus. Magnus, this is Joe. Joe's a funny guy but you're still the king of hot air.

Biggus Dickus

Hey Claire I love the tiled roof, it looks really great along with some very nice detail, great job... and the gable end turned out nice as well.

How's The JayJay doing with the Pineapple Twist Railing?