News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Homosexual zebra finches form long-term bond

Started by Tank, August 15, 2011, 01:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Homosexual zebra finches form long-term bond

QuoteSame-sex pairs of monogamous birds are just as attached and faithful to each other as those paired with a member of the opposite sex.

The insight comes from a study of zebra finches - highly vocal, colourful birds that sing to their mates, a performance thought to strengthen the pair's bond.

Scientists found that same-sex pairs of finches sang to and preened each other just like heterosexual pairs.

The study is reported in the journal Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology.
A displaying pair of king penguins Male king penguins have been seen to "flirt" with other males in the colony

Lead researcher Julie Elie from the University of California Berkeley said that the research showed that "relationships in animals can be more complicated than just a male and a female who meet and reproduce, even in birds"...

An interesting and informative article.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MariaEvri

Interesting. I think I have read the same thing about geese (or was it swans) some years ago. Maybe that wuld explain why my female zebra is refusing to mate!

edit: PENGUINS! It was penguins!
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com