News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Stormchasing

Started by fester30, April 19, 2011, 04:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fester30

Any stormchasers out there?  Positive of gallbladder surgery?  I get two weeks off to spend time with my beautiful wife.  Negative?  I have to rest when I'd love to be out chasing storms.  Not that the tornado threat near my area is particularly strong.  By the time the weather gets here, it'll likely be in the form of a quasi-linear convective system (QLCS), with the possibility of some small hail and high straight-line winds.  Still, if I could get a few hours northwest, there might be at least the chance of catching something good.  Good dewpoint pooling, nice convective available potential energy, decent shear.  Although the better low-level shear will at least initially be in Illinois.  Oh well.  Even QLCS are awesome to watch.  Just too bad it'll probably be too dark to see by the time it gets here.  Lots of lightning, though.  Anyway just ranting on.

So any stormchasers or weather nerds out there?

Tank

Please note. ALL English people are weather nerds, it comes with the territory. However it should also be noted that in comparison to most places on Earth England rarely has any weather of note. It varies from slightly cold to slightly warm and dry to slightly damp. What English weather is however is unpredictable. Where we sit betwixt the Atlantic ocean and continental Europe is a battle ground for weather systems so in the morning it can be warm and sunny and in the afternoon overcast and drizzly. The result is some of the best weather forecasting computers you can find, yet they still don't work very well. The English love their weather because moaning is a favourite English pass time and at the top of the moaning list is... you've guessed it... the weather!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

KDbeads

Uh Fester......... Can you send some of that weather here?????  ASAP?????????  

I'm getting a bit tired of the smoke haze for the million + acres of land lost fires so far.....................
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

MariaEvri

I am very fascinated by weather phenomena,. I will watch the sky for HOURS (my life dream -well one of them- is to see and photograph a tornado!
but unfortunately the weather here is mostly well.. you know the feeling that you wanna go to the toilette immediately and at the end all that comes out is a small drizzle?
that
occationally we get some thunderstorms (not very common though) and the seasonal dust blown from africa
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

fester30

Quote from: "MariaEvri"I am very fascinated by weather phenomena,. I will watch the sky for HOURS (my life dream -well one of them- is to see and photograph a tornado!
but unfortunately the weather here is mostly well.. you know the feeling that you wanna go to the toilette immediately and at the end all that comes out is a small drizzle?
that
occationally we get some thunderstorms (not very common though) and the seasonal dust blown from africa

I know when I was in Qatar not too long ago I saw a tornado.  That is, of course, very rare.

My wife and I saw four in one day last spring, which is definitely rare for us.  Stormchasing in Arkansas is very difficult, given the hilly terrain covered in trees, and the fact that most tornadoes are rain-wrapped in this state since we have high precipitation cells due to the disappearance of the dryline by the time the system gets to us.