News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Good Films.

Started by Tank, October 17, 2015, 10:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on October 17, 2018, 12:18:24 PM
I think Defendor comes under the heading of anti-hero as well.

All the more reason to want to watch the movie. :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Bohemian Rhapsody gets an A.  Rami Malek is great as Mercury.  The other band actors are dead ringers for the actual members, especially Brian May.  See it.

Bluenose

I second Bruce's nomination of Bohemian Rhapsody, I thoroughly enjoyed it, great film.

Also I recommend First Man.  I know that the film has been criticised for amongst other things not showing them planting the stars and Stripes on the moon, but I think that misses the point entirely.  The movie is not a "ra-ra" "right stuff" type of thing, it is about Neil Armstrong, the man and I think it strikes the balance just right.  I think it conveys the just how edge of the seat the sixties space programme was and how it affected him.  If you haven't seen it, do so.  Oh and spoiler alert - they get back safely.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

I really liked 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. There was even applause from the audience afterward and that rarely happens when I go to the cinema.

I didn't enjoy 'First Man', though, even though I was psyched to see it. I think Ryan Gosling's performance was rather wooden...it's like he got so into character when playing the robot in 'Blade Runner' that he couldn't pull himself out of that role.

Tank

Brad pit in 'Allied'. WWII espionage drama. Good plot, good script, good acting.

Huge plot spoilers below! You have been warned!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Went to watch 'Mary Poppins Returns' in the movie theatre yesterday. It wasn't bad at all, but I do wonder, what did the creator/producer smoke during its conception? It was the weirdest movie I've watched in a while!

Ecurb Noselrub

Saw "The Mule", directed by and starring Clint Eastwood.  One of his better acting performances - he's an old white horticulturist who ends up running drugs for the Sinaloa Cartel.  Worth seeing.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Icarus

I liked the Mule too Bruce.  Dirty Harry is a nice old man in this movie but............he is still formidable.

I am far out of the loop and have never heard of Alita........but now I have.  I think that I am going to like her.

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Interesting that the first Blade Runner movie was set in a dystopian future -- scratch that, not so much the future anymore, but November of 2019. I remember as a kid watching the movie at home with my parents and wondering if by the end of 2019 we would get our flying cars and replicants. I was, of course, disappointed.

Still an interesting 2019, though.

Bad Penny II

I liked it.

QuoteThe Man Who Knew Infinity is a 2015 British biographical drama film about the Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan, based on the 1991 book of the same name by Robert Kanigel.

The film stars Dev Patel as Srinivasa Ramanujan, a real-life mathematician who, after growing up poor in Madras, India, earns admittance to Cambridge University during World War I, where he becomes a pioneer in mathematical theories with the guidance of his professor, G. H. Hardy, portrayed by Jeremy Irons.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

I'm liking it, Kate's lovely and so is Alan, Kate's love interest is sweet too.

QuoteA Little Chaos is a 2014 British period drama film directed by Alan Rickman. The story was conceived by Allison Deegan and she co-wrote the screenplay along with Rickman and Jeremy Brock. The film stars Kate Winslet, Matthias Schoenaerts, Alan Rickman, Stanley Tucci, Helen McCrory, Steven Waddington, Jennifer Ehle and Rupert Penry-Jones.

Of course philosophically we wouldn't mind if a bunch of proles turned up and slaughtered the whole useless bunch of them.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Just been to see Little Women.
Loved it.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

No one

Hope is overrated anyway.