News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on October 17, 2018, 10:26:17 AM
Fernanda, don't listen to all this stuff about mustard.  You need a large hot whisky and lemon.

Don't forget the honey!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Dave on October 17, 2018, 09:44:44 AM
These "sneak" charges are getting in everywhere. I suppose that everything has to be paid for but . . .

Reactivated an old online shopping account. I noticed that the card quoted was out of date, so cancelled that and added new card (same type) details.

Final checkout bill showed that I had been charged £5 for a "new card check"!  First time - would go elsewhere for grocery delivery but chances are the habit has spread.

Never heard of that one. Even those well known tax avoiders, named after a South American river don't do that; not yet at least.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Tank

Quote from: Essie Mae on October 18, 2018, 12:18:08 AM
Quote from: Dave on October 17, 2018, 09:44:44 AM
These "sneak" charges are getting in everywhere. I suppose that everything has to be paid for but . . .

Reactivated an old online shopping account. I noticed that the card quoted was out of date, so cancelled that and added new card (same type) details.

Final checkout bill showed that I had been charged £5 for a "new card check"!  First time - would go elsewhere for grocery delivery but chances are the habit has spread.

Never heard of that one. Even those well known tax avoiders, named after a South American river don't do that; not yet at least.

They spend millions on not paying tax. I suspect the irony is lost on them.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on October 17, 2018, 03:15:40 PM
Quote from: OldGit on October 17, 2018, 10:26:17 AM
Fernanda, don't listen to all this stuff about mustard.  You need a large hot whisky and lemon.

Don't forget the honey!

Better than the "drink water" reply I get from my mother! :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I'm halfway through a four-hour wait in a building that doesn't seem to have one comfortable chair. I would go into the library but one gets angry glares and frowns if one utters a word.  ::)

:-X

Essie Mae

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 22, 2018, 06:23:35 PM
I'm halfway through a four-hour wait in a building that doesn't seem to have one comfortable chair. I would go into the library but one gets angry glares and frowns if one utters a word.  ::)

Are you with someone or do you talk to yourself?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Essie Mae on October 22, 2018, 11:31:03 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 22, 2018, 06:23:35 PM

Are you with someone or do you talk to yourself?

With someone. If I was alone I have no problem keeping my mouth shut, heheh. :grin:

Tank

Indeterminate grinding noise when I brake. Car in shop awaiting diagnosis  >:(

jumbojak

You'll be really grumpy when they tell you it needs pads, rotors, calipers, and lines all the way around!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on October 27, 2018, 01:23:19 PM
You'll be really grumpy when they tell you it needs pads, rotors, calipers, and lines all the way around!

And when they find loads of problems in other parts of the car not even related to the wheel!

xSilverPhinx

So, the supervising professor for whom I gave two classes has decided to go on holiday for a week in November and has left me with the task of writing half of their exam paper questions and applying the exam to the class -- which has 55 enrolled -- while telling me to 'make sure they don't cheat'!

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 27, 2018, 02:46:24 PM
So, the supervising professor for whom I gave two classes has decided to go on holiday for a week in November and has left me with the task of writing half of their exam paper questions and applying the exam to the class -- which has 55 enrolled -- while telling me to 'make sure they don't cheat'!

If cheating is a known problem, put them in a large auditorium with enough separation between the students, and have them check their cell phones at the door.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on October 27, 2018, 01:23:19 PM
Pads, calliper and disc 316 all in. Could have been worse.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 27, 2018, 03:07:44 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 27, 2018, 02:46:24 PM

If cheating is a known problem, put them in a large auditorium with enough separation between the students, and have them check their cell phones at the door.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to book an auditorium (there are only two in that part of campus and they're used for special events) and I'm a little hesitant to ask them to check their cellphones because if even one gets stolen it'd be my fault. I don't know the students by name so I couldn't tell if the true owner retrieved the phone or not.

What I can do is

a) write an exam where they will need to write a few paragraphs, making it more difficult copy an answer from someone else's paper;
b) write more objective, multiple choice questions but vary their order. I would then give people in rows adjacent to each other different exam papers which contain the same questions but in a different order;
c) mix the two above alternatives.       

As for cellphones, I'll just have to try and keep a vigilant eye on them.

Icarus

Every one is to turn off their cellphones and place them, and leave them, on the desk in front of themselves, in clear sight. Violations will be grounds for a grade penalty of 50%.