News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on January 22, 2019, 01:49:11 AM
Holy shit that class was fun. I mean, seriously fun. I feel great right now!

Excellent news!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

I plan to do this trip tomorrow, Settlement Point to Saltwater Lake.
I've never made it to the this second lake before.
I'm starting 20 minutes closer than usual so that will help.
It's tricky measuring distance (it winds around a lot), looks like 30-40km return.
I'll start at 10:15, a very high tide at this location at 11:15.
Up the creek the tide won't start ebbing for an extra hour or two.
I'll paddle up for two hours max with tide assistance all the way and probably against half the way back.
Wind doesn't sound too bad.
I don't expect much from Saltwater Lake, I don't particularly like the first lake, I do like Limburners Creek though.
Will I run out of time or oomf, will the creek be over grown? maybe.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-31.3971769,152.9021598,3918m/data=!3m1!1e3

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

We await a pictorial record of your outing!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

This is the creek

It gets narrower which is fun as long as it's passable.

jumbojak

How fast can you move in that kayak, on a good day?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Bad Penny II

Quote from: jumbojak on January 22, 2019, 12:49:27 PM
How fast can you move in that kayak, on a good day?

That's a question.

QuoteSea conditions have a tremendous effect on paddling speed. If you normally paddle 2.5 knots, but there is a 2.5 knot opposing current, you'll paddle in place! On the other hand, if the current is in the direction you want to go, you'll paddle at 5 knots! Current speeds of 1.5 knots or more are common in the Hawkesbury River....

So how fast can a sea kayak be paddled? Experienced and fit paddlers in long, narrow, PE or Composite boats should have no problem holding 4 to 5 knots for long stretches in average conditions, which is practically a jog.

My boat isn't amongst the fastest but it isn't bad.  4 knots = 7.41 km so maybe I can do 7km.  Considerably faster than walking pace anyway.  When I measure trips and look at times it often looks faster because I tend to time a favourable tide.  A fast favourable current can be used and unfavourable ones avoided.

No I didn't make it to the elusive 2nd lake, paddled for about 4:20 humid 32C.

Bad Penny II

She was her mothers joy,
she was herself.
She isn't any more,
a body found
Some It killed her for a fuck.
We need a pain amplifier,
'n a way to keep 'em alive.

jumbojak

I hope that wany anyone close to you. I doesn't lessen the tragedy but that sort of pain for a loved one must be difficult to bear.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Bad Penny II

Quote from: jumbojak on January 23, 2019, 01:15:55 PM
I hope that wany anyone close to you. I doesn't lessen the tragedy but that sort of pain for a loved one must be difficult to bear.

Ye it must be.
She isn't anyone I knew before I heard of her in the news.
I've grown two daughters, a lot goes into it.
Pregnancy, birth, baby, she's one, two,three four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty, twenty one, that's as far as she got.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: jumbojak on January 22, 2019, 01:49:11 AM
Holy shit that class was fun. I mean, seriously fun. I feel great right now!

Wonderful!  Not too much of the black and blue then?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Quote from: No one on January 22, 2019, 07:32:54 AM
How has Bert not murdered Ernie yet?

Deep and abiding love.  They've obviously been married for decades.
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bad Penny II on January 23, 2019, 02:06:48 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on January 23, 2019, 01:15:55 PM

Ye it must be.
She isn't anyone I knew before I heard of her in the news.
I've grown two daughters, a lot goes into it.
Pregnancy, birth, baby, she's one, two,three four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty, twenty one, that's as far as she got.

How awful, and how much worse that there's so much of it in the world.  I hate to think of how much her family must be suffering.
Sandy

jumbojak

I'm going to be signing up for four nights a week for six months of Krav Maga on Monday. Something came up on Wednesday so I missed that class but I'm going to try and get as much out of this as I can going forward.

Icarus

I miss some of the good people who have not been here for a while.  I am thinking of Dragonia at this moment but there are others who have apparently gone by the wayside. 

How can we recapture their interest and participation?

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: jumbojak on January 26, 2019, 09:41:39 PM
I'm going to be signing up for four nights a week for six months of Krav Maga on Monday. Something came up on Wednesday so I missed that class but I'm going to try and get as much out of this as I can going forward.

Kick 'em in the nuts and poke their eyes.  The goal is to end the fight quickly, right?