Main Menu

Scientists Discover Prehistoric Cave

Started by Whitney, June 22, 2006, 09:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Scientists discover prehistoric cave in Israel
Wed May 31, 2006

Article
QuoteJERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli scientists said on Wednesday they had discovered a prehistoric ecosystem dating back millions of years.

The discovery was made in a cave near the central Israeli city of Ramle during rock drilling at a quarry. Scientists were called in and soon found eight previously unknown species of crustaceans and invertebrates similar to scorpions.

"Until now eight species of animals were found in the cave, all of them unknown to science," said Dr Hanan Dimantman, a biologist at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

He said the cave's ecosystem probably dates back around five million years when the Mediterranean Sea covered parts of Israel.

The cave was completely sealed off from the world, including from water and nutrients seeping through rock crevices above. Scientists who discovered the cave believe it has been intact for millions of years.

"Every species we examined had no eyes which means they lost their sight due to evolution," said Dimantman.

Samples of the animals discovered in the cave were sent for DNA tests which found they were unique, he said. The cave has been closed off as scientists conduct a more detailed survey.

"This is a cave of fantastic biodiversity," Dimantman said.

epi406

I heard something about this but not all the information you have offered on this site. Very interesting and we know it will raise a lot of comments for a while. What is interesting to me is how the workers there found the site and did not accidently destroy the whole thing. Will be interesting what name will be given to these new species.

crazycycoclown

i ask you tho is the word to use prehistoric.... lets break that down... pre and historic... base of historic is history... so before history... that is not possible...
Song of Solomen 3:5
Daughters of Jerusalem i charge you by the gazelles and by the does of the field do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.

1st Timothy 4:12
12Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "crazycycoclown"i ask you tho is the word to use prehistoric.... lets break that down... pre and historic... base of historic is history... so before history... that is not possible...
Are you high?  That sounds like something I'd say if I was high.

Anyway, prehistoric means before written history, as in before people began using a written language.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

McQ

The link doesn't work.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Big Mac

I think this guy has ingested a good deal of narcotics before shotgunning this asinine excuse for a post.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Whitney

Quote from: "McQ"The link doesn't work.

That sucks, they must have moved the article to archives or just plain deleted it.  It just said what I quoted anyway.

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "laetusatheos"It just said what I quoted anyway.
Are we supposed to take that on faith?
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

Whitney

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"
Quote from: "laetusatheos"It just said what I quoted anyway.
Are we supposed to take that on faith?

Lol, ya...but the trust in another person brand rather than the religious brand.    

(I'm sure there are other news sources which covered the cave findings too)

Big Mac

Sounds legit to me.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Mastriani

Any chance admin could list them ... I'm not finding any, and this is quite an interesting development on the empirical stage.
Praedatorious culminis; hominis necis

donkeyhoty

sort of unrelated, but I had to post, it was all decided beforehand.  Has anyone seen those god-awful, cave explorers become trapped and hunted down by evolved cave creatues, movies i.e. Descent, The and Cave, The?

Perhaps the article was taken down because the scientists disappeared, as is bound to happen, according to the movies.

McQ

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"sort of unrelated, but I had to post, it was all decided beforehand.  Has anyone seen those god-awful, cave explorers become trapped and hunted down by evolved cave creatues, movies i.e. Descent, The and Cave, The?

Perhaps the article was taken down because the scientists disappeared, as is bound to happen, according to the movies.

I saw "The Cave". Glad I just rented it and didn't pay $8 at the theater for it.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

donkeyhoty

Cave, The I saw for free, and I wanted my money back.

Whitney

Quote from: "Mastriani"Any chance admin could list them ... I'm not finding any, and this is quite an interesting development on the empirical stage.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... -cave.html

http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php ... 0435129108

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShAr ... ntrassID=7

more:  http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... +jerusalem