News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

As a nonbeliever, how long do you focus on atheism per day?

Started by MatureMcLeod, October 16, 2016, 04:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MatureMcLeod

Pasta Chick

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

Can the question be further defined?

Atheism is an absence. I'm not sure how one focuses on a concept that is defined by nothingness.

But for instance, there are the social implications of being openly atheist and all that sort of thing one could contemplate or discuss.

Sandra Craft

I don't.  To probably misquote Bill Maher, the best thing about atheism is how little of your time it takes.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Velma

Rarely. In the past, I have engaged with religious people online. Nowadays, not so much. I have rehashed the same arguments so many times I grew tired of it.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Recusant

Quote from: MatureMcLeod on October 16, 2016, 04:51:09 PM
Me about 30 minutes.

Cool. Can you give an example of how you spend some of those 30 minutes? What does one do who is focussing on atheism? Do you mean reading atheist writings?

I know you've spent some time studying the Bible with an emphasis on its negative aspects; is that what you're mainly talking about?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

I never give it a thought unless someone or some thing about religion is brought to my attention by another person, or written word.  I have no compelling need to defend my position so I almost never engage a religious person. I would very much like to set them on a truer course to reality, but that would be an almost fruitless pursuit. 

MatureMcLeod

I just mostly listen to podcasts like TheThinkingAtheist and The Atheist Voice.
Also, sometimes I do read the Bible if I get tempted to go back.

Dave

Only when people ask questions like this!

Otherwise it is no more in my mind than what colour socks I am wearing.

My humanist tendencies have become habitual and require no "boosting" by constant iteration.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dragonia

I spend probably an hour a day doing things that as a Christian, I wouldn't have done, and that make me consider life and thoughts through the eyes of atheism. Some of that is milti-tasking: as I'm getting ready for the day, I often will be listening to you tube videos from Richard Dawkins, Jaclyn Glenn,  Christopher Hitchens, The Atheist Experience or just plain old Matt Dillahunty, Deter Lucem, and others. I watch (listen) to that stuff mostly for entertainment, and the occasional enlightenment. And often, I will spend a little time here, or other reading sites, which I guess counts as "focusing on atheism".

So now I wonder....
Quote from: MatureMcLeod
link=topic=14722.msg339794#msg339794 date=1476712227

Also, sometimes I do read the Bible if I get tempted to go back.
What tempts you to "go back"? Fear? Uncertainty? Loneliness? What?
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Pasta Chick

I'm more wondering why "going back" is a problem?

If you believe in God(s), you believe in God(s). Not a big deal. You don't have to be Fundamentalist Christian, agree with or even like Biblical teachings to believe in God(s).

OldGit

Like others here I rarely think about it unless something brings it to mind.

MatureMcLeod

I deal with a lot of Christians preaching at me where I live.
I also deal with personal temptation and Christians tell me turn or burn
I personally feel if I did become a Christian again, I would have to ignore most of what the Bible actually said.

Tank

Quote from: MatureMcLeod on October 17, 2016, 07:16:26 PM
I personally feel if I did become a Christian again, I would have to ignore most of what the Bible actually said.
Like all the other Christians then  :rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.