News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Would You Join An Atheist "Church"?

Started by Kekerusey, September 04, 2016, 09:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kekerusey

OK,

First of all The Friendly Atheist:

So, as I understand it, these "churches" are just gatherings of atheists, humanists, agnostics and sometimes even believers who just like to get together, sing a few songs, listen to some sermons and have a little shindig or something.

I was brought up a Catholic and during my oldest daughter's childhood attended church (CofE) again because I reasoned it wasn't my position to educate her as an atheist (push her towards atheism) ... I think differently now, it was more of a blip than a truly rational decision.

However, I do believe that religions act as community focal points and I miss that. OK, I don't miss anywhere enough to get me off my butt and down to a church but I think it has a certain social cohesive value that atheists (being as difficult to herd as cats) don't do anywhere near as well.

But here's the question ... who you go to an atheist church? Being brutally honest my answer is probably no, I don'ty like the leaning towards a church format, it bothers me so no.

Any of you?

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

xSilverPhinx

Probably not, churchy places and rituals just don't attract me.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Firebird

Thought about it, as we have one of those Sunday Assembly groups nearby,  but never did. Just didn't seem so attractive in the end, and I prefer to sleep in on weekends.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Sandra Craft

I probably would if it were nearby -- already go the the local UUC from time to time.  I always enjoyed going to church.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

...But...but, this place is my church.  :unsure:
Why would I want to go anywhere else? We have a god, (Asmo) we have music, we don't have a preacher, but that's because the podium is open to whoever loves it, and we all love it.  :smilenod: The hours are flexible, members come and stay, members come and go, members are kicked out. Sometimes we lock the door, but members who have been kicked out try to come in through the back door or the windows, when moderators are not watching, (Parture).  :eyeroll:

~I think there is a lot of love here...I can feel it. I'm sorry if this makes religious people angry.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Kekerusey

Looks like most people feel similar to me.

Quote from: Magdalena on September 05, 2016, 03:53:55 AM~I think there is a lot of love here...I can feel it. I'm sorry if this makes religious people angry.

Really? I have respect for some forum members but love? No, that's something I reserve for my family and real friends.

Keke

No one

I'm leery of any club that would have me as a member.

Magdalena

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 05, 2016, 01:40:22 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on September 05, 2016, 03:53:55 AM~I think there is a lot of love here...I can feel it. I'm sorry if this makes religious people angry.

Really? I have respect for some forum members but love? No, that's something I reserve for my family and real friends.

Keke
OK.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

We could have atheist gatherings at the tennis court, at the local bar and grille.  That might be one option but not the most attractive one. We could meet in the workshop in my backyard. If we called our gathering a church there are some really nice tax incentives...at least in the US.  I can imagine a shrewd atheist person who wants to have a building property but wishes to diminish the property tax liability. If I or some other of us has a five dollar certificate of theological proficiency such as a certificate from Blowtorch University of Jesus Christ,  then there are personal income tax diversions .....You can see where I am going with this. Call me "Icarus the Devious"   

Velma

Once upon a time, I went to monthly meetings of a group of atheists in Mississippi. However, I was an atheist in the Southern US. Until that group, most of us didn't know any other atheists. I've not felt the need since then for some reason.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Kekerusey

Quote from: Icarus on September 06, 2016, 12:18:52 AM
We could have atheist gatherings at the tennis court, at the local bar and grille.  That might be one option but not the most attractive one. We could meet in the workshop in my backyard. If we called our gathering a church there are some really nice tax incentives...at least in the US.  I can imagine a shrewd atheist person who wants to have a building property but wishes to diminish the property tax liability. If I or some other of us has a five dollar certificate of theological proficiency such as a certificate from Blowtorch University of Jesus Christ,  then there are personal income tax diversions .....You can see where I am going with this. Call me "Icarus the Devious"

For Brits It's all very simple ... the pub. There's a few groups like that around the world, one in Ireland, another in Norway ... I'm pretty sure there's something similar in London. Maybe I should start one in Kent even if we don't get tax breaks (at least none I'm aware of)?

Keke

Tank

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 05, 2016, 01:40:22 PM
Looks like most people feel similar to me.

Keke
Oh there is love here.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

No one

Magdalena