News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

HAF Book Club: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman discussion

Started by Sandra Craft, February 13, 2018, 01:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Davin

Most of the stories are just stories, hardly anything happens in them. The beauty in the author's writing is the emotional ride you go through while reading them. At least that is my view. It's a kind of flavor, and for me, this book was too much at once for me. They are great stories and I enjoyed them, but my strategy for reading them wasn't great. I should have read just one a day, more than that was too much for me.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

I love the stories not just for Murakami talent putting words together but for the quirkiness of his ideas and plots.  I think I mentioned that I read this months ago, and have since loaned the book to my goddaughter, and am now struggling to remember specific stories (or at least ones there were in this collection and not another collection).

I know there was a story involving a great deal of spaghetti, and one about a monkey who stole memories, and a real brain flattener about a job interview that wound up being with a kind of duck.  And other stories that were far less silly, but it's silly ones that tend to stick in my mind.
Sandy

Davin

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 13, 2018, 08:13:40 PM
I love the stories not just for Murakami talent putting words together but for the quirkiness of his ideas and plots.  I think I mentioned that I read this months ago, and have since loaned the book to my goddaughter, and am now struggling to remember specific stories (or at least ones there were in this collection and not another collection).

I know there was a story involving a great deal of spaghetti, and one about a monkey who stole memories, and a real brain flattener about a job interview that wound up being with a kind of duck.  And other stories that were far less silly, but it's silly ones that tend to stick in my mind.
Yeah I liked those three. I think the monkey stole names, and that was why the woman kept forgetting her own name, but otherwise her memory was fine. I think that was the last story, or one of the last ones.

The woman who lost her son to a shark attack was very sad.

The first three I remember really liking even though there wasn't much of a plot to them, but they evoked many emotions in me. It's difficult for me to describe, because it was the path through those stories and not any specific thing in them. A little hint of something here and there that added up over time.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Davin on February 14, 2018, 02:21:40 PM

The first three I remember really liking even though there wasn't much of a plot to them, but they evoked many emotions in me.

I think evoking emotions is Murakami's particular gift (and his translators, to give credit where it's due). 
Sandy