News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Just thinkin'...

Started by Dave, September 23, 2017, 09:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Globally politics and ideologies seem to be divided horizontally, "East" and "West"

Yet individual countries tend to split North/South: Vietnam, Korea, America (Civil War -wise). Germany and Italy, amongst others, economically; England (Viking/Anglo-Saxon and economically to a degree), Ireland (though that is a bit artificial), Scotland (highlanders/lowlanders). Probably others.

Wonder why?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Interesting thought. :notsure:

Brazil is also economically split between north and south, with the north and northeast being the poorest regions in terms of development and the southeast being the richest. It's almost like one country is actually many, economically. Here there was a 'meh' civil war in which the south tried to secede from the rest, much like Uruguay had done before them, but they failed and were incorporated back into the rest.

I think each case has their own myriad of complex factors that contribute to that kind of divide: history, access to trade routes, exploitable resources, development etc....
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Sikver wrote:

QuoteI think each case has their own myriad of complex factors that contribute to that kind of divide: history, access to trade routes, exploitable resources, development etc....

I think we can add climate and geology into that mix.

Below is a map of solar radiation on Italy, the cooler, richer,  north and the hotter, less populated, south:

Brazil also has a North-South climate variation though not quite so pronounced, but it would be interesting to compare it to that proposed political split.

xSilverPhinx

^Yes, it's influence on agriculture and what kind of crops are grown where is important as well. :smilenod:

Arturo

I believe you said it gets really cold in the winter there once SP? Interesting because I'm sure Brazil is pretty close to the equater. Do you live in the mountains?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Arturo on September 23, 2017, 02:44:17 PM
I believe you said it gets really cold in the winter there once SP? Interesting because I'm sure Brazil is pretty close to the equater. Do you live in the mountains?

Cold is relative. ;)

I live in the southernmost state, where on average temperatures are around 12 to 16 degrees in winter. It's not cold but in general we lack the infrastructure of more developed colder places. Underfloor heating, for instance, is far from common. Most people probably don't even know that such a thing can be installed. 

(There are no proper mountains in Brazil, we're geographically old territory and they've all been weathered. We have highlands, though.)

No one

Well, people are stupid to the umpteenth, they need plenty of direction.

Dave

Having read the phrase, "... Atlanta, Georgia ...", in a novel it suddenly occured to me hat, possibly because the same names may have been used in several places you have to identify which one you mean, as a Brit I now almost always automaticaly tag a state name onto lots of American town/city names when I hear or read them.

Not saying I always get them right but . . .

Strange what weird habits one can develop.

Icarus

Dave, Atlanta is a huge city, the largest one in the southeastern US.  It is a diverse place with world class facilities, education, industry, cuisine, and other  desirable  features. It has one of the busiest international airports in the world. It is also a Georgia cracker bastion of southern thinking all the while.  Not to say that the crackers are at once the same as the medical authorities or  the engineering gurus. Those are not the same people.  That mixture  is not only an Atlanta characteristic, it is almost a nationwide US reality as well as a  national conundrum

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on September 25, 2017, 04:58:42 AM
Dave, Atlanta is a huge city, the largest one in the southeastern US.  It is a diverse place with world class facilities, education, industry, cuisine, and other  desirable  features. It has one of the busiest international airports in the world. It is also a Georgia cracker bastion of southern thinking all the while.  Not to say that the crackers are at once the same as the medical authorities or  the engineering gurus. Those are not the same people.  That mixture  is not only an Atlanta characteristic, it is almost a nationwide US reality as well as a  national conundrum

That is part of the picture, I know which state these places are in (from hearing the links so often over the decades) whilst knowing not-a-lot about them. My mental image of Nashville seems to include banjo plucking hillbilly types, with a grass stalk in their mouths, on every corner when that probably has nothing to do with it. Is that more Kentucky?

The other side of the image happened  just a short while ago, another multiple shooting in a church.

And yes, America seems to consist of a collection of microcosms of the macrocosm, a commentator once said it was like have a world's worth of national types in a single nation.