Bad Penny II

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 06, 2017, 04:46:54 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on December 06, 2017, 03:34:02 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 06, 2017, 12:21:12 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on December 05, 2017, 09:29:55 PM
:tellmemore:
Wow!!!

Thank you.  :hug:

You're welcome.  Think Cyrano de Bergerac, without the complaining about the nose.

OK.

I love Cyrano -- he's quite gloriously mad.  Warrior, poet, lover, philosopher; he was magnificent, if a little obsessed about his nose.  No one is perfect.

Of course Mr Magoo (ye I did research the proper spelling of that) was the definitive Cyranose.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Magdalena on December 05, 2017, 05:23:24 AM
Quote from: Icarus on December 05, 2017, 04:58:55 AM
I voted for Obama two times.  I do not suppose that he was the best president ever but he was damned sure not the worst either.  "Barry" did not offend us daily with dumb ass tweets, he did not boast about grabbing pussies, ...............if he had not been tainted by being half black he could have done much more to the benefit of our society. I like to think that he would have.   
Is the word, tainted, appropriate, here?  :notsure:

Yes it is appropriate, Ic is calling it out.

Hillary was tainted by being a woman
But Sarah P was and is a womanly woman
Hillary was tainted by being an intelligent woman

Davin

Does anyone remember the simpler times, when people were losing their shit because the president asked for fancy mustard or wore a tan suit?
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on December 06, 2017, 06:34:05 AM
Whoa....Going back a page or two I see that I have made a terrible choice of words or that I did not explain that the word was to be taken as if  spoken by people who did not like Obama.   "Tainted" was a bad word. I apologize if that has been interpreted as a slight. That was definitely not the intent. 

I could have explained that there was, for 8 years, a great deal of criticism of the then president that was based on bullshit claims by lying bastards like Hannity or Limbaugh or crackpot conspiracy notions invented by tiny minds.  All that probably influenced the hillbilly state of mind but was not the biggest reason for the attitude of  Obama detractors..  The grim reality is that we live in a racist society, closeted racism of course, but a reality no matter how you slice it.. Much of that society could not quite get past the fact that the duly elected president has a  somewhat darker skin color.  That is a clumsy explanation of what I meant to convey by using the word;tainted.

It's OK, Icarus, we all make mistakes.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

It is Curious that  BBC would make this video.  Here is some of the commentary about the closet racism that I mentioned in a previous post .  Perhaps I should not use the word closet. We are generally not deliberately racist, many of us just do not realize that we have some issues. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dykgtGv8ozs

It is not my intent to start a controversy about this subject.  It might merit a few peaceful words however..........or we can move on. 

Dave

Thanks for that, Icarus, but - somehow - I do not find myself understanding the problem any better after viewing than before!

I do not think of myself as racist yet I once found myself getting very fed up with certain "black" cultural things - particularly involving loud music. However now that I have white neighbours who play loud reggae, beebop (I think) and tecno music I think it was more a "cultural" dislike than a "racial" one. Regardless of skin colour a lousy neighbour is still a lousy neighbour. And a good one is to be valued!

There seems to have been a degree of "cultural spread" in this country. I listened to two teenage lads talking, from their pronounciations and word use I assumed they were black, only to be surprised when they turned out to be white. There have been other signs in terms of music and even dreadlocks! But I have no doubt that there is still prejudice, casual and aggressive, perhaps both ways.

Still a bit confused...
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Icarus on December 06, 2017, 07:17:15 PM
It is Curious that  BBC would make this video.  Here is some of the commentary about the closet racism that I mentioned in a previous post .  Perhaps I should not use the word closet. We are generally not deliberately racist, many of us just do not realize that we have some issues.

It's true, there's a difference between conscious and unconscious racism -- which I sometimes think of as racism with a big R and racism with a little r.

The big R is stuff anybody can see is racism -- the KKK, Nazis marching in the streets chanting for genocide, that sort of thing. 

The small r stuff are things which no one raised in a racist society like ours can possibly avoid becoming infected with -- automatic assumptions about what any black person will or will not like (a common one I've found is "black people don't read/watch SF"), clutching your purse without realizing it if blacks are around (to my shame, I found myself doing that recently), judging a black more harshly than a white for the same thing. 

The small r stuff may not be as nefarious as the big R stuff, but it's damaging in its own way and, I think even harder to root out because it's harder to see -- esp. when it's your small stuff.  Such as the purse incident; if I hadn't looked down at my grocery list I'd never even seen my hand tightened around my purse and known I was doing that. 

What's really awful, and to my thinking an example of how society gets false assumptions dug into our unconscious, is that of the three times I've had my purse snatched, it was a white guy who did it every time tho I lived in a multi-racial neighborhood.  I've never caught myself clutching my purse around groups of white men, even tho experience shows that's when I should be protecting it.  Small r racism.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Davin

I'm just waiting for this kind of realization from the Turnip supporters.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Bad Penny II

Intelligence, that's a taint.
Not only for women, truly.
George W, pretty vacant
Obama, intelligent, black
A dopey black Pres...
he might of been OK

Dave

Oh, goody, they are sending a man, Pence, who is an avowed evangelical and therefore almost certainly hoping for the "End Time," to try to convince the Palestinians that America recognising Jerusalem as Israel's capital is a good idea.

Icarus

The hot news today is that several women have come out accusing the Donald of molesting them in the past.  The Me Too movement is gaining momentum.   We'll have to wait and see where that goes.

Something is not right when Billy Bush loses his job for being on the now famous bus (the grab "em by the pussy bus) while the mouthy braggart, Donald, got himself elected to the highest office of the land.

Recusant

Those accusations came out during the campaign after the infamous bus video was made public, but are getting some new life, which is a good thing.

However, the American people have spoken--President Bogus isn't guilty (at least according to Sarah Huckabee-Sanders). Of course the piece below is from Fake News CNN, so, you know, best to just ignore it.

"Sarah Sanders said the 2016 election ended the debate about Trump's treatment of women. Not exactly." | CNN

QuoteOn Thursday afternoon, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders was asked about Al Franken's description of President Donald Trump as "a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault."

Here's how she responded:

"The President addressed the comments back during the campaign. We feel strongly that the people of the country also addressed that when they elected Donald Trump president. I don't have anything to add."

OK.

There are things that are right in that statement by Sanders. And things that are totally and completely wrong.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Davin on December 06, 2017, 01:58:46 PM
Does anyone remember the simpler times, when people were losing their shit because the president asked for fancy mustard or wore a tan suit?

I long for those days.  Do you remember when FOX threw a fit because Obama said "folks"?  No problem with 45 saying it, tho.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on December 11, 2017, 11:35:59 PM
Something is not right when Billy Bush loses his job for being on the now famous bus (the grab "em by the pussy bus) while the mouthy braggart, Donald, got himself elected to the highest office of the land.
On what we know I agree. Had Bush acted "better", confronting Trump over his actions, calling him out on his comments, he would almost certainly have got the sack and never worked in media again. I am guessing hell is a warm bath compared to Trump's vengeance.

Davin

This isn't exactly only about Trump, this sheds a light on the GOP that reveals a lot of... complicity at best, treason at worst. Not just because of the testimony itself, but how the GOP tried to keep it wrapped up so they could keep lying about it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/09/sen-dianne-feinstein-unilaterally-releases-fusion-gps-testimony.html