Author Topic: Homo sapiens and Their Cousins  (Read 2553 times)

Claireliontamer

• Don't Pray in My School, and I Won't Think in Your Church
Re: Homo sapiens and Their Cousins
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2017, 11:20:50 AM »
This is a pretty big discovery, even if they're wrong about the finds being Homo sapiens.

What makes you say they aren't H. sapiens?

I didn't say they aren't. However, despite the certainty promoted by most of the pop-science articles about this, it's not conclusive that these people were Homo sapiens, per the NPR article's mention of controversy.

Sorry, I read what you wrote as you were saying they were wrong about labelling the finds Homo sapiens.

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Reason
  • infidel barbarian
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2017, 04:08:47 PM »
Yep, I see now how it could be read that way. Thanks for calling me on my ambiguous diction!  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Reason
  • infidel barbarian
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2017, 04:56:56 PM »
On the island of Flores, remains of what appear to be the precursors of Homo floresiensis (so-called "hobbits") have been found that are approximately 600,000 years older than the fossils previously found in the Liang Bua cave on the island.

"Hobbit discovery: Hopes 700,000-year-old find could shed new light on evolution" | ABC

A 700,000-year-old hobbit has been discovered by a team of Australian-led researchers on the Indonesian island of Flores, shedding new light on human evolution.

The dwarf-like ancient relative of modern man stood just one metre tall and has been dated at half a million years older than a hobbit found on the island a decade ago.

Published in the journal Nature, the researchers argue their fossil find descended from Homo erectus, which would suggest an incredible case of evolutionary reversal where human bodies — including brains — actually shrunk.

[. . .]

[University of Wollongong's] Dr van den Bergh [who led the team that found the fragments] said the discovery was significant because the fossils were much older than the previous hobbit find at Liang Boa, known as Homo floresiensis.

"The remains from Mata Menge, they are more than half a million years older than Homo floresiensis — almost 600,000 years older than the hobbit remains from Liang Boa [sic]," he said.

"We know that humans were present on the island 1 million years ago and that's based on dated stone artefacts."

[. . .]

Dr van den Bergh said there were several hypotheses about the find, including that it was a dwarfed version of Homo erectus or that it came from a tinier, earlier ancestor like Homo habilis.

"The problem with that hypothesis was that those creatures have never been found outside Africa," he said.

"Now these new finds show that 700,000 years ago the ancestors of Homo floresiensis were already as small as the hobbit itself and secondly it provides a link between Homo erectus and Homo floresiensis."

An independent reviewer for the Nature journal, Aida Gomez-Robles from George Washington University's Department of Anthropology, backs the link between Homo erectus and Homo floresiensis.

"[However,] there is still a lot of debate about this," Dr Gomez-Robles said.

"Even if I think these fossils descended from Homo erectus, there are other people who think they are descended from Homo habilis."

One of the dissenting voices is ANU biological anthropologist Colin Groves, who believes there are not enough fossils to confirm a link to Homo erectus.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 06:30:10 PM »
"Like trying to extract a flaky pastry pie out of concrete..."

Paraphrase of the words of the man trying to excavate the oldest human skeleton found so far in south Africa.

Ancient human ancestor 'Little Foot' makes public debut.
"Little Foot" is the oldest fossil hominid skeleton ever found in Southern Africa, the lead scientist examining the discovery said on Wednesday.
The fossil skeleton takes its name from the small foot bones discovered by scientist Ron Clarke in 1994 when he was sorting through bones in boxes from the Sterkfontein cave system. Even then, Clarke surmised that the fossilized bones came from an Australopithecus species -- the smallish, ape-like human ancestors that roamed this part of Africa millions of years ago.
By placing the fossils at well over 3 million years old, Clarke is bound to reignite a debate about the age of the find, which has been disputed over the years. Some scientists have given it a far more recent place on the human evolutionary tree.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/06/africa/human-ancestor-little-foot-unveiled-intl/index.html
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.