Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I like those birds, especially the owl. Here's a bit of rust...

Exceptionally long day so before and after shots will have to wait. Prep for surgery, pretend to be a plumber, it all blended together.
So I went bird-watching in the mall today. Got some shots of a few fine specimens.

Laid Back Lounge / Re: Should we talk about the weather?
« Last post by Ecurb Noselrub on October 21, 2018, 07:05:40 PM »
Perfect day in Central Texas; clear, sunny, 66 degrees.
Science / Re: How Life May Have First Emerged On Earth (Abiogenesis Thread)
« Last post by Tank on October 21, 2018, 06:37:20 PM »
Interesting as usual.
Science / Re: How Life May Have First Emerged On Earth (Abiogenesis Thread)
« Last post by Recusant on October 21, 2018, 05:50:54 PM »
"But you weren't there!"

"Chemists find a recipe that may have jump-started life on Earth" | Science

In the molecular dance that gave birth to life on Earth, RNA appears to be a central player. But the origins of the molecule, which can store genetic information as DNA does and speed chemical reactions as proteins do, remain a mystery. Now, a team of researchers has shown for the first time that a set of simple starting materials, which were likely present on early Earth, can produce all four of RNA’s chemical building blocks.

Those building blocks—cytosine, uracil, adenine, and guanine—have previously been re-created in the lab from other starting materials. In 2009, chemists led by John Sutherland at the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom devised a set of five compounds likely present on early Earth that could give rise to cytosine and uracil, collectively known as pyrimidines. Then, 2 years ago, researchers led by Thomas Carell, a chemist at Ludwig Maximilian University in Munich, Germany, reported that his team had an equally easy way to form adenine and guanine, the building blocks known as purines. But the two sets of chemical reactions were different. No one knew how the conditions for making both pairs of building blocks could have occurred in the same place at the same time.

Now, Carell says he may have the answer. On Tuesday, at the Origins of Life Workshop here, he reported that he and his colleagues have come up with a simple set of reactions that could have given rise to all four RNA bases.

[Continues . . .]
Science / Re: Why evolution is not just chance.
« Last post by Tank on October 21, 2018, 03:58:40 PM »
A comment today on facebook.

Laid Back Lounge / Re: Should we talk about the weather?
« Last post by jumbojak on October 21, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »
Cold and quite wet here. The temp was down into the low 40s last night. I think it's time to turn the heat back on in the house and, maybe, the car.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
« Last post by jumbojak on October 21, 2018, 05:48:48 AM »
My mood has been all over the place today. I went from being almost impossibly low, to fairly steady, and then was thrown a curve ball tonight that does have me impossibly confused. *Sigh* I wish that dealing with people was easier.

Cherchez la femme?

You see, that was only at the end of the day... I think I need a vacation. Not sure where to go or what to do though.

Have you been to Europe? This is a very personal opinion and others will disagree, but if you can only visit one city in Europe, go to Paris.

I have not and, honestly, probably shouldn't. A past relationship should have resulted in me moving to the UK but it didn't work out like either of us hoped. At least for right now certain wounds are too fresh to travel to Europe.

As far as a vacation goes, I haven't taken time off work in... three years, I think. I haven't had a Saturday off in four probably.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10