News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Lib/Dem leader, I dont believe in God.

Started by jobee, April 21, 2010, 06:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobee

http://www.pickledpolitics.com/archives/1598

Nick Clegg: ‘I don’t believe in God’

by Leon on 20th December, 2007 at 10:34 am    

When I read the news yesterday that new LibDem leader Nick Clegg openly admitted he doesn’t believe in god I had one reaction: “Brave man”.

Nick Clegg, the Liberal Democrats’ new leader, has defied political convention with a frank admission that he is an atheist.

During a round of media broadcasts on the morning after his election to the post, he was asked by one interviewer: “Do you believe in God?”

“No,” Mr Clegg answered simply, during an appearance on BBC Radio 5 Live. [Via The Times Online]

Any one wishing to congratulate Nick on his brave comment.

FACEBOOK: http://libdemfacebook.notlong.com
FACEBOOK APP: http://apps.facebook.com/liberaldemocrats/
YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/libdem
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/libdems
FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/libdems/

http://facebook.com/NickClegg

theTwiz

I was very excited about this until I realized/realised it was in the UK.

edit: mad props regardless
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

karadan

Nice. He's looking more and more like the person i should vote for.

The best of a bad bunch, at least.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

jobee

My relations and I are going to give him our vote.

We admire him for saying it, its rare from an MP.

Whitney

fyi, jobee has been banned for promoting killing Christians.

Chewbie Chan

Excellent! Nick Clegg openly being atheist received barely any news coverage but I still got excited about it this morning.

Meanwhile in real UK election news the Conservative leader Cam...someone, got hit by an egg and is being followed by a reporter disguised as a giant chicken.

SSY

After Nick Clegg's strong performance in the leader debate, the pound took a hit on foreign exchange markets. The threat of a hung market has the speculators spooked. Of course, the only reason Nick can say things like that, are because he is never going to be in power, and therefore will never be held to account for the things he promises.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Chewbie Chan

SSY I have to ask this out of curiousity: If it were somehow possible that the Lib Dems could win the election, what particular things has Nick Clegg promised that you could see him backpedaling on?

SSY

Their plans about sacking corrupt MPs, not going to happen when they have more to lose. Their tax plans are nothing but feel good flim flam, they claim they can give millions and millions of people more money, by closing tax loopholes, when they lack any experience in government at all, they don't have a clue, they are just capitalising on the current trend for envy politics. Their claims about the economy are also pure fantasy in my opinion, taxes are going to go up, this will stifle the economy, their proposed banking levy will either be watered down to through the magic of lobbying, or if it goes through, will simply gut the financial sector, completely ruining the economy (our economy being over reliant on the financial sector due to Gordon's laissez faire attitude as long as they were paying plenty of money in tax for him to piss up the wall). Their mad plans about immigration are also never going to come to fruition, region targeted migration simply does not make sense, nor is it practicable.

The Lib Dems are playing a very specific game, they are trying to win influence in a two party system, with the hope of a hung parliament and them being installed as king makers. It is obvious when they attack the Tories leaving Labour relatively unscathed (despite the massive fuck up that is Gordon Brown), desperate to prevent the Tories getting an overall majority. The policies they are espousing are designed to this end, sound popular, have a veneer of credibility, but actual implementation need not be considered. Also telling is their steadfast refusal to be drawn on anything, whatsoever, about a coalition, they refuse to commit to anything so they can whore themselves out most effectively come what may.

Just to get my bias out there, I don't like the Lib Dems, despise labour, am slightly disappointed with the Tories at the moment and will most likely be voting UKIP when early May roles around.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it

Squid

Quote from: "Whitney"fyi, jobee has been banned for promoting killing Christians.

Wut?  :eek:

Whitney

Quote from: "Squid"
Quote from: "Whitney"fyi, jobee has been banned for promoting killing Christians.

Wut?  :eek:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4762&start=60#p64042

Chewbie Chan

SSY I have no doubt that the Lib Dems will become something different under the full weight of bureaucracy & corruption that comes with greater central power, though I'm not quite so cynical about them as you are. Its also a given that they will use their gain in popularity to interfere with the two party system status quo as best serves their interests. Regarding their plan for the economy, its a mess. Labour and the Conservatives are even more unrealistic. The economy is already ruined - things are much worse than people realise or want to admit.

My own bias is that at heart I'm an anarchist. If I were forced to vote for the lesser of many evils I would most likely vote Greens, which would have me diametrically opposed to UKIP on the political compass!

SSY

I wouldn't worry about me voting UKIP, where I live my vote makes no difference at all, we have had an unbroken Tory Reign since the constituency was created, which shows no sign of changing. Labour normally come third round here, by voting UKIP, they could conceivably get demoted to fourth.

Dretlin

Now this I missed.

I know what I am not voting - SNP (Scottish National Party), they embarrass me - they embarrass Scotland.  

I am still undecided at the moment, my fellow Brits. I have one or two ideas, but they are not solid at this time.

SSY

DEVOLUTION!! DEVOLUTION!!

As you may be able to tell, there is not much I like about UK politics.