News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Family pressures on an atheist mother.

Started by Tank, December 15, 2011, 10:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philosoraptor

This is seemingly one of those situations where you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.  Figuratively speaking, of course.

I think it's admirable that you are trying to find a balance between making your parents happy and trying to give your children an open-minded perspective.  But why do your parents have more of a right to peace of mind regarding what YOUR children are being taught than you do yourself?  After all, they are children.  Religion aside, for your parents to behave this way is emotionally abusive and manipulative.  I fear there is no way to say this that isn't somewhat crude, but your kids will be left dealing with the ramifications of church teachings long after your parents (and yourself) are dead and gone.  Is it fair to subject them to hellfire and brimstone so your parents can have peace of mind?  You are the only person who can answer these questions, of course, but it's all stuff to think about.

On the other hand, how many atheists and agnostics have defected from religion?  Sometimes church and the Bible do the damage themselves-anyone with the ability for critical thinking will see the holes and inconsistencies and start asking questions.  Maybe you can compromise-kids go to church once a month with grandparents, and those other Sundays maybe you teach them about different religions from around the world?

It's a tough position to be in, one I do not envy.  Whatever you decide, good luck.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Ali

I just wanted to give you guys an update.  I actually did talk to my son about god and Jesus and told him that they are just a story, but that Mommy and Daddy will be there to love him and protect him.  He took it well.  Then last weekend we were visiting with my parents, and T sneezed and my mom said "God Bless You."  T goes "God's not real, he's just a story."  Looooooong awkward pause where my parents give each other looks and I just smile and shrug my shoulders like "What are you going to do?"  After a minute, my brother changed the subject and life went on. 

Firebird

Quote from: Ali on February 01, 2012, 11:19:13 PM
I just wanted to give you guys an update.  I actually did talk to my son about god and Jesus and told him that they are just a story, but that Mommy and Daddy will be there to love him and protect him.  He took it well.  Then last weekend we were visiting with my parents, and T sneezed and my mom said "God Bless You."  T goes "God's not real, he's just a story."  Looooooong awkward pause where my parents give each other looks and I just smile and shrug my shoulders like "What are you going to do?"  After a minute, my brother changed the subject and life went on. 

Ha, love it! Good for you.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

Wonderful! Go T!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Give T a high-five for me!  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Too Few Lions

definite, if T was my child, I'd have been soooo proud of that comment!

philosoraptor

Haha, kids do say the darndest things! Go T!
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse