News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Glen Campbell

Started by Biggus Dickus, August 08, 2017, 10:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

See ya around Glen.

Lyrics
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Same song, but Glen shows off just how good a guitar player he was on this version....
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Ecurb Noselrub

Glen was an excellent guitarist and a great singer.  He made significant contributions to music in his day.  Sorry about his Alzheimer's.  That's a horrible way to fade into oblivion.  But his legacy is intact.

Biggus Dickus

His music, and other artists from his generation are the virtual soundtrack to my childhood. Being born in the mid-60's I grew up listening to whatever muzak my mom and dad had playing on the radio (AM) while we were in the car driving or watching and listening to the popular programs of the day on the one and only TV we had in the house (Black and white) such as programs like Glen's or other mainstream artists of the day (Like the Sonny and Cher program, or Johnny Cash's show...remember Flip Wilson?)

So the popular songs of the day, especially in late 60's and early 70's is what I heard most until I was old enough to choose and pick my own music.

"Gentle on My Mind" was one of the earliest songs I learned to play and sing on the guitar when I was a child, and my father would ask me to play it over and over...(That and Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head, by B.J. Thomas, which was Dad's all-time favorite, but I didn't like to play it, bleh...though that's a great scene from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids)

When I hear these songs now it takes me back to that time and place...squeezed into the back seat of my parents car in between my older sisters in the middle of the seat (I hated the fucking middle seat) listening to CKLW on the radio out of Canada playing all of the current hits, or sitting on a pillow on the floor of our little den watching the black and white tv in my pajamas, maybe listening to Glen sing and perform like  "Rhinestone Cowboy", or perhaps "Rainy Days and Mondays", by the Carpenters.

With the passing of folks like Glen it really brings that era to an end...
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Sandra Craft

I've been listening to "The Wichita Lineman" nearly non-stop since yesterday.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

I was never a country music fan but Glen Campbell was one I favored and admired. He was a down home style entertainer. His considerable talent with the guitar was worthy of praise. I'm going to miss him. He was in the same entertainment ball park as John Denver. Pleasingly and pleasantly popular.