News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

If you had a time machine that could travel into the past, what era would you vi

Started by Curt, February 14, 2019, 06:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on March 06, 2019, 11:45:03 PM
I would go back in time for about 55 to 60 years.  There I could make a whole series of better judgements about my future prosperity.   I made a slew of youthful misjudgements when I was in my career development period.  I was smitten by fast cars, motorcycles and boats.  All that seemed to be more important than concentrating on my college studies, professional, and social contacts. ...................Who among us would not choose to make  more insightful decisions when we were callow youths?

:felix:

A few. That's for sure. But then how could I know that the changes I made wouldn't turn out worse?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on March 07, 2019, 08:04:23 AM
I would go back in time for about 55 to 60 years.  There I could make a whole series of better judgements about my future prosperity.   I made a slew of youthful misjudgements when I was in my career development period.  I was smitten by fast cars, motorcycles and boats.  All that seemed to be more important than concentrating on my college studies, professional, and social contacts. ...................Who among us would not choose to make  more insightful decisions when we were callow youths?

A few. That's for sure. But then how could I know that the changes I made wouldn't turn out worse?

By popping back to the future OBviously  :picard facepalm:
It's the recreational time travel business model.
You offer a too cheap deal to resist and you haul them in.
They all go back with the intention to fix and they invariably royally fuck it up.
They get their free return trip and they see what they've done.
Their series of trips back to fix their ever funnelling fuck ups is charged full price.
Why isn't there a free enterprise victory fist, smiley, emoticon or whatever those little expressive things are called?
Communist conspiracy.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on March 07, 2019, 12:11:01 PM

They all go back with the intention to fix and they invariably royally fuck it up.
Their series of trips back to fix their ever funnelling fuck ups is charged full price.
Why isn't there a free enterprise victory fist, smiley, emoticon or whatever those little expressive things are called?
Communist conspiracy.

What about the chap who so royally fucks up his return trips he decides to kill the great grand mother of the person who invents time travel?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on March 07, 2019, 01:15:40 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on March 07, 2019, 12:11:01 PM

Communist conspiracy.

What about the chap who so royally fucks up his return trips he decides to kill the great grand mother of the person who invents time travel?

Oh don't lean on me man, 'cause you can't afford the ticket.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Curt

A lot of things i would like do overs on as well.  Unfortunately there are no mulligans or reset buttons in life!

No one

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on July 02, 2020, 10:52:24 PM
i heard she had BO

Everybody has BO if they don't clean up enough. Once he got her in the mud at Woodstock, it would all have been fine?  :o

billy rubin

she would have been long dead by woodstock and really stunk by then.

one of her maids wrote in a biography tha t she didnt hit the shower often enough towards the end of her life

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

I guess somewhere along the way, (in between winning the lottery numerous times) I'd off hitler, those 19 scumbags, vlad the impaler, several other of history's nasty critters, and then Bang Marilyn Monroe.

Curt

Quote from: No one on July 03, 2020, 09:29:05 AM
I guess somewhere along the way, (in between winning the lottery numerous times) I'd off hitler, those 19 scumbags, vlad the impaler, several other of history's nasty critters, and then Bang Marilyn Monroe.

Well of course you have to reward yourself for taking out Hitler and such people.  So Marilyn is a fitting reward.  Why settle for just Marilyn?  Lets make it a 3 some where you get to women.  Who is your second choice?

Randy

Since the title asks "What era would you visit?" I'd say the 1960's. I was born in 1961 but as an adult I'd like to see the protests, the rock concerts, the hippie generation... It looks like it was an exciting time.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

No one

Well Curt, besides Marilyn, I'd go for Barbara Bach.(caveman era)

Sandra Craft

I'd have to go with some prehistoric era or other, just not sure which one.  Assuming a time travel bubble that'll keep me safe, maybe go back to the time it was all volcanoes or all rain.  Or even go all the way back to the beginning and see how it happened.  I'm also assuming the time travel machine has a fast-forward/rewind button because some of things things I'd want to watch take an awful long time.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany