News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Science be damned! Completely accurate horoscopes.

Started by No one, May 29, 2019, 04:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No one

Dark Lightning

Uh, some stars have affected my life. Like Ursula Andress, Barbi Benton, Sandra Bullock, etc. Of course, they don't know it.  :P Just like real stellar objects, they don't care either.  :-[

xSilverPhinx

:snicker:

Through, the sun and planet Earth affect my life in very important ways. Wait, they aren't part of the zodiac systems are they? :notsure:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Wait a minute, my horoscope is absolutely correct! According to Capricorn:
QuoteThe stars and planets will not affect your life in any way.

:popcorn:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

When the moon is in the seventh house,
And Jupiter aligns with Mars,
Then peace will guide the planets,
And love will steer the stars.

Or not.

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 02, 2019, 02:45:16 AM

Or not.
That sounds like something an Aquarius would say.  ::)

Or a god, if one day I  pray for world peace
:fingertap:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on June 02, 2019, 05:04:32 AM

Or not.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on June 02, 2019, 10:50:33 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on June 02, 2019, 05:04:32 AM

Or not.

:dance1:

xSilverPhinx

I'm an Aquarius. :popcorn:

And for some strange reason I enjoyed that song.  ;D

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 02, 2019, 10:54:20 PM

I don't think you have to be an Aquarius to enjoy that song. :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on June 03, 2019, 09:41:36 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 02, 2019, 10:54:20 PM

I don't think you have to be an Aquarius to enjoy that song. :D

I agree, though it is written in the some stars, somewhere, that an Aquarius must enjoy that song. :grin:

hermes2015

I saw that show (Hair) and also Oh! Calcutta! before most you were born.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 03, 2019, 10:08:59 AM

it is written in the some stars, somewhere, that an Aquarius must enjoy that song. :grin:

Does a deterministic universe fit in with the basic premise of Astrology?  Maybe not specifically, but the idea that your destiny is basically predetermined?  We are born with a certain set of DNA, in a country/culture that we did not choose to parents we did not choose speaking a language we did not choose, living as male/female without our choice - what's left to choose, especially if we determine that, in reality, there is no "free will" and our brains are just following the laws of physics. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 03, 2019, 04:55:29 PM

it is written in the some stars, somewhere, that an Aquarius must enjoy that song. :grin:

Does a deterministic universe fit in with the basic premise of Astrology?  Maybe not specifically, but the idea that your destiny is basically predetermined?  We are born with a certain set of DNA, in a country/culture that we did not choose to parents we did not choose speaking a language we did not choose, living as male/female without our choice - what's left to choose, especially if we determine that, in reality, there is no "free will" and our brains are just following the laws of physics.

Though I don't think astrology is that sophisticated, in a way, yes, possibly the basic premise is that the universe is deterministic and we're just living out our lives like an actor acts out a prewritten script. That may give some people comfort, to believe that there's a right answer for their circumstance, and that answer is given by how the stars, planets and moon were positioned at the time of their births. It's ridiculous, but a lot of people love that stuff.

It goes further than simply implying the universe is more deterministic than not. Personality is influenced by the stars planets and moon, and you can tell if people will get along based on their horoscopes. Once again, it appeals to people looking for the 'right' answer floating somewhere in the ether. Will so-and-so make a great romantic partner? Just look at his horoscope and your own. Is there going to be interpersonal conflict in the coming days? Your horoscope will tell you.

Given these characteristics, I wonder just how much of it is self-fulfilling prophecy. 

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 11, 2019, 02:02:27 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 03, 2019, 04:55:29 PM

Though I don't think astrology is that sophisticated, in a way, yes, possibly the basic premise is that the universe is deterministic and we're just living out our lives like an actor acts out a prewritten script. That may give some people comfort, to believe that there's a right answer for their circumstance, and that answer is given by how the stars, planets and moon were positioned at the time of their births. It's ridiculous, but a lot of people love that stuff.

It goes further than simply implying the universe is more deterministic than not. Personality is influenced by the stars planets and moon, and you can tell if people will get along based on their horoscopes. Once again, it appeals to people looking for the 'right' answer floating somewhere in the ether. Will so-and-so make a great romantic partner? Just look at his horoscope and your own. Is there going to be interpersonal conflict in the coming days? Your horoscope will tell you.

Given these characteristics, I wonder just how much of it is self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yeah, a Virgo reads the description of a Virgo and picks things out of the list that he/she thinks describe him/her, then that confirms that the system is correct and he/she begins to believe it.  Of course, he/she could have also found things in the characteristics of Capricorn or Aries that also fit.