News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Attraction(s) -- HAF Photo Challenge Poll

Started by Recusant, September 24, 2017, 04:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Well, lacking a horse shoe magnet I suppose I could have entered a pair of attractive balls . . .

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

Well those are some excellent entries, and I wish I would have been able to submit some of my own, but September has been such a busy month for me...can't believe it will be October in a day or so.

I had to cast one of my votes for Tank's lovely photograph of the redheaded woman because I have this thing for Gingers ::) she's quite stunning actually.

Have to say this was a very interesting thread to read, weird how even in a simply photography thread things can take such diverse paths you know?

Which leads me to a benefit I see from online communities such as this. Often time most of us in life will say or remark about something in a way that may be construed as rude or hurtful. Most times people we hurt with our comments may choose to ignore the remark, and nod in quick agreement or affirmation, and then walk away. With us not ever being the wiser that our comment or remark was hurtful, so we go on in ignorance possibly repeating the same thing over and over again.

Online though we are often able to confront comments we find rude or distasteful, and it can be said this is a good learning tool for those of us who may have posted the remark because it gives us an inside look into how our thoughts and words can sometimes be hurtful to others even if that wasn't our intention. (Sometimes jokes go to far)

Sure intent isn't magical, but a good recourse is to simply acknowledge what we said was wrong, apologize and move on...doubling down can just make matters worth.

Anyway that's my take on the matter.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Recusant

*Bump*

Voting will be closing soon, so if you haven't voted yet, please take a look at the entries and choose.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

The winning entry for this HAF Photo Challenge is the photo of a bookcase submitted by hermes2015. Congratulations, hermes2015! Not to put on any pressure, but I think you're very good at coming up with themes, and I look forward to learning your choice for the next one.  ;)

Lark deserves a mention--two of the photos she submitted were only one vote behind hermes2015's winning entry.  :)

Thank you very much to all who submitted entries, and to all who voted in this edition of the photo challenge.  8)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Yes, great pix!

Many of your books would feel at home amongst mine, Hermes - Eclecticism Rules OK!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Quote from: Recusant on October 09, 2017, 05:20:49 PM
The winning entry for this HAF Photo Challenge is the photo of a bookcase submitted by hermes2015. Congratulations, hermes2015! Not to put on any pressure, but I think you're very good at coming up with themes, and I look forward to learning your choice for the next one.  ;)

Lark deserves a mention--two of the photos she submitted were only one vote behind hermes2015's winning entry.  :)

Thank you very much to all who submitted entries, and to all who voted in this edition of the photo challenge.  8)

Thank you very much, Recusant. It sounds false, but I really never expected to win. Anyway, it was only by one vote, so I will ask Lark to help me with some suggestions. I will give more details on my entries later today.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Recusant

Ah yes, the details.

Frankie Dettori riding the winner in a race at Lingfield Park.

The Five Arch Bridge at Painshill, with the "Gothic Temple" on the hill in the background and the "Crystal Grotto"  in the middle distance on the lake.

Arundel Castle, taken from the near the bridge over the River Arun in the town of Arundel.

Skeleton of Tyrannosaurus rex in the Oxford University Museum of Natural History.
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

My photos were very private and intimate this time. They were all taken at home and express some of my interests and obsessions.

Part of my bookshelf. This must have resonated with fellow HAF members.

A Rosthenthal porcelain bust of Beethoven on a glass shelf next to my fireplace. By now I think everyone here knows that classical music is one of my great loves.

The famous lounge chair and footstool designed by one of my great heroes, Charles Eames. I love this chair so much, which is why I included it. An edge of my bookshelf can be seen in the background. He designed the chair as a birthday gift for his movie director friend Billy Wilder in 1956. It is one of quite a few Eames pieces I've collected over the years. One of my disappointments was that Eames died a few months before I was due to meet him at his design office in Venice, California.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

I see that you have some of my favorite books, Hermes.  i have long held that you can tell many things about a man by looking at his bookshelf.

I see: Wrinkles In Time by George Smoot among others that I like particularly well. ..............In the US we have a brand of better quality Jams and Preserves whose brand name is Smuckers. Their slogan is; "with a name like Smuckers, it has to be good".  Same goes for a guy named Smoot, and he is indeed good at what he does.

Dragonia

Hermes, I love browsing a person's bookshelves. I echo Icarus that you can tell so much about a person by what books they keep. I think I like you.  :thumbsup2: ....But I already knew that!
Anyway, I loved all the pictures. I'm gonna submit something next time!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on October 10, 2017, 08:20:20 PM
I see that you have some of my favorite books, Hermes.  i have long held that you can tell many things about a man by looking at his bookshelf.

I see: Wrinkles In Time by George Smoot among others that I like particularly well. ..............In the US we have a brand of better quality Jams and Preserves whose brand name is Smuckers. Their slogan is; "with a name like Smuckers, it has to be good".  Same goes for a guy named Smoot, and he is indeed good at what he does.

I agree 100% that one can learn a lot about someone just by examining the titles on their bookshelves. Do you also find it strange that there are no books to be seen in some homes?
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: Dragonia on October 10, 2017, 11:23:52 PM
Hermes, I love browsing a person's bookshelves. I echo Icarus that you can tell so much about a person by what books they keep. I think I like you.  :thumbsup2: ....But I already knew that!
Anyway, I loved all the pictures. I'm gonna submit something next time!

Oh, Dragonia, thanks for your sweet words. I think I showed my bookish, "musicish", and also materialistic side in my pics.
― Charles Eames