News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Some Science Articles

Started by donkeyhoty, April 19, 2007, 10:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donkeyhoty

here's an article about another origin of life on earth theory, http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/ ... rigin.html

and one about a really old ass tree, evidently the first kind of tree, http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/200 ... onstructed

If you've seen these already, well now you've seen them twice.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

Squid

I would highly recommend anyone who is interested about origins of life research to pick up a copy of Robert Hazen's Genesis - it gives you a wonderful background into the research and the primary people involved as well as the competing ideas like the metabolism first idea, the RNA world hypothesis, the Iron-Sulfur world and so forth.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and it provides a great insight into the research from a primary researcher in the field.

SteveS

donkeyhoty, great stuff.  In the first article, I really liked the closing remark,

QuoteWe have to let nature instruct us
Sweet.

In the second, a picture of one of the first trees.  That's just plain cool.  And weird.  Imagine an earth filled with these forests, with no flying or crawling animals - just a vast rustling forest.  Heh, if one of the trees fell, I guess there really wasn't anyone there to hear it, huh?  Haha.

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "SteveS"Imagine an earth filled with these forests, with no flying or crawling animals
Or even just the first few of these trees, towering over a bunch of ferns...
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

SteveS

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"Or even just the first few of these trees, towering over a bunch of ferns...

Yeah ... weird.  Makes me wish I could go back in time and check it out firsthand.