News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Started by Johnny5, March 19, 2007, 06:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny5

This is a great example of natural selection.  Just keep in mind that natural selection is not the same as evolution.

Tom62

Quote from: "Johnny5"This is a great example of natural selection.  Just keep in mind that natural selection is not the same as evolution.

If this is not evolution then what is evolution according to you? Should the bird have changed in a rabbit or so?
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

SteveS

Johnny5, I certainly feel that this is clearly evolution.  Allow me to explain.

Quote from: "Johnny5"This is a great example of natural selection.
Agreed.  So, let's start with that point.  Natural selection is the idea that organisms that are better adapted to the environment are more likely to survive.  Over time, we would see the population change to reflect an increase in the variants of an organism that possess the advantageous development.  But, here's the kicker.  Where did the first finch, of the Geospiza fortis species, come from that had a smaller beak?  My point is that for natural selection to work, it requires diverse organisms.  The theory of evolution is hinged on "descent with modification".  Mutations caused fluctuations in the beak size of Geospiza fortis finches.  Occasionally, one was born with a smaller than normal beak (this is where the first one came from).  Normally, these little variations didn't matter, and the species went on mostly unchanged (since the bulk of the population still had normal traits).  With the arrival of the new competitor, however, the finches with smaller beaks started surviving at a much higher rate than their brethren.  Most future children were born of parents with small beaks, and therefore most of the children (except the ones that experienced another modification) had small beaks. This "naturally selected" trait, passed on through descent, and created earlier through modification, is causing these offspring to have a survival advantage and become a larger and larger portion of the population.

I hope I've explained this well.  Do you understand why scientists (and I) believe that this is evolution?

More generally, how can you believe in natural selection but not evolution?  Because of natural selection, over time populations will homogenize on the favorable traits.  Then why is life so diverse?  If species aren't undergoing modifications, then where is all the diversity coming from upon which natural selection is acting?

Eclecticsaturn

Quote from: "Tom62"
Quote from: "Johnny5"This is a great example of natural selection.  Just keep in mind that natural selection is not the same as evolution.

If this is not evolution then what is evolution according to you? Should the bird have changed in a rabbit or so?

Ya what he said. That pretty much sums it up.  :)

Squid

You do know that natural selection is a driving force of evolution right?

Ingodwetrust

its called gods will not EVOLOUTION
you all really need a lesson, the hand of god is science. all science was created by god. i dont care what you say bout science is seprate from god because its not, GOD created science.

Squid

You're not here to spread the good word, you're here to cause trouble.  Don't you have anything better to do than to annoy others?

McQ

Quote from: "Ingodwetrust"its called gods will not EVOLOUTION
you all really need a lesson, the hand of god is science. all science was created by god. i dont care what you say bout science is seprate from god because its not, GOD created science.

Gee, thanks for the information, Jethro. Do you read and write English, or just pretend?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Squid

And people wonder why I worry about our species.

Ingodwetrust

Quote from: "McQ"

Gee, thanks for the information, Jethro. Do you read and write English, or just pretend?

Nice defense mechanism denying gods existence by insulting those attempting to save you

Squid

You methodology is lacking in effectiveness.  It's immature and vacuous - not to mention annoying.

McQ

Quote from: "Ingodwetrust"
Quote from: "McQ"

Nice defense mechanism denying gods existence by insulting those attempting to save you

Already been saved, Slick. Nice defense mechanism by ignoring your original supposed point of trying to save people and instead trying to get into a pissing contest. Do you find that method of evangelism effective?

If you can't take the few extra seconds to make sure you're posting something legible, then don't bother posting.

Now, do you have anything constructive to say?
--Penn Jillette

ingodwetrust2

nice come back, banning....

crazycycoclown

yea... it is possible... it is called

MICRO EVOLUTION

now something like apes goin and changing to humans is called
MACRO EVOLUTION...

THEIR IS A DIFFERENCE

MICRO = REAL
MACRO = FALSE
Song of Solomen 3:5
Daughters of Jerusalem i charge you by the gazelles and by the does of the field do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.

1st Timothy 4:12
12Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

McQ

Quote from: "crazycycoclown"yea... it is possible... it is called

MICRO EVOLUTION

now something like apes goin and changing to humans is called
MACRO EVOLUTION...

THEIR IS A DIFFERENCE

MICRO = REAL
MACRO = FALSE

Mmmmkay...... :roll:

Thank you for that brilliant (read: moronic) lesson in creation definitions applied to evolution. Let's try this instead...

cclown=someone who knows zip about the subject
pretty much everyone else here=people not in the dark ages on the subject

Try some reading. Start with this:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/macroevolution.html
--Penn Jillette