News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bad Penny II

Biggus Dickus

Etta James, "At Last".
This is one bad ass album. Definitely one of my all-time favorites. Hard to believe this was Etta's debut album,...she was in top form here. Released in 1960.

I love the song "At Last", but "Stormy Weather" is pure spiritual magic. Takes me deep every time I listen to it. Know what I saying?

At Last

Stormy Weather
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on September 07, 2019, 03:56:33 AMKnow what I saying?
Ye, some fucking nonsense, just get off your ass and move.

Magdalena

^^^
I like Etta James.  :tellmemore:
She was great.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

I like Etta and Ella and several others of that era.  Listen to the Etta vids and hear the orchestra backing her.  Orchestra, not a bunch of wild dudes jumping up and down with offensively three chord loud guitars.

BPs contribution is not bad but does not have the musical quality of the Etta back ground.  However....there is no accounting for tastes.

Icarus

Here is another female singer that does it plenty good.  Take a listen. .....   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqmS29CXNZ8

hermes2015

Thanks, guys, for leading me on a little detour outside my usual (99%) listening territory of classical music.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

The following rendition of "Clare de Lune" by Debussy on classical guitar by the French guitarist Roxane Elfasci is spellbinding to say the least.

The video has over 4 million views, of which a couple thousand have to be from me listening to it over and over again.

The arrangement is by James Edwards, but Roxanne plays it with such tenderness and clarity that it has become something of a masterpiece in the classical guitar world.

Debussy composed this piece for piano, and most folks believe it only sounds good on piano; plus music written for piano can be difficult to play or arrange for guitar, but this is the exception indeed.

Clearly Roxanne is an exceptional guitarist; unfortunately there is little information on her available. I follow her YouTube channel, but she has only uploaded a few other performances (Equally as good)

(I actually purchased the sheet music for this arrangement from James Edwards, and have managed so far to get about a quarter of the way through it, but the piece is proving difficult, and I know it is going to take me some time to learn it completely (Taking some time off from it currently). Of course my performance of it, if I can in fact learn the piece will not be anything close to Roxanne's version, but it is fun to play nonetheless. She makes it seems so effortless. I wish I had her delicate left hand instead of the stubby appendage and digits that I was born with)

Anyway give it a listen, then play it again with your eyes closed, then listen and watch her play it a third time and be amazed.

Icarus

That is beautiful Bruno.  I have long been hooked on classical guitar music. 

I suspect that you know of,  perhaps listened to,  the elegant Ana Vidovic and the sexy but wonderfully talented Tatiana Rhyzkova.  Xuefi Yang is also a spectacular classical guitarist. 

If you want to hear some incredibly skillful Gypsy Jazz, then look for Damjan Pejinoski.  These people are all on You Tube for our enjoyment.

My adopted grandson is a Lithuanian who lives  in the city of Kaunas. He is a classical guitarist with a fair degree of talent and ability.  He told me that the fondest wish of the classical guitarist, referring to their guitar, is: "try to make her believe that she is beautiful".  Your lady is pretty close to that goal.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Icarus on September 12, 2019, 11:39:50 PM

That was enchanting.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

hermes2015

Debussy is one of the gods on my own composer's Olympus.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Icarus on September 12, 2019, 11:39:50 PM

I suspect that you know of,  perhaps listened to,  the elegant Ana Vidovic and the sexy but wonderfully talented Tatiana Rhyzkova.  Xuefi Yang is also a spectacular classical guitarist. 

If you want to hear some incredibly skillful Gypsy Jazz, then look for Damjan Pejinoski.  These people are all on You Tube for our enjoyment.

My adopted grandson is a Lithuanian who lives  in the city of Kaunas. He is a classical guitarist with a fair degree of talent and ability.  He told me that the fondest wish of the classical guitarist, referring to their guitar, is: "try to make her believe that she is beautiful".  Your lady is pretty close to that goal.

Thanks Icarus, and yes I have long been a fan of Ana Vidovic, she is probably my favorite guitarist as her skill and ability are unmatched in my opinion. In fact I do believe in years past I have posted some of her performances in this very thread.

Thanks for the heads up on Damjan, I wasn't too familiar with him, but I do think I had seen a couple short clips of him before on Instagram.

Glad to hear about your grandson, I bet he's a joy to listen to. :)