News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Terry Pratchett Books

Started by xSilverPhinx, May 28, 2019, 03:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I've been meaning to read his books for some time now, but don't know much about them or where to start. Any suggestions?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Book one. The Colour of Magic. It is a hot curry of a book but you need to read it as introduces a lot of ideas. They cool down 4 or 5 books in as TP gets into his stride.

Read all of them at least twice and some a lot more than that.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

I'm going in chronological order, but there are also some other suggestions like reading the the one offs to dip your toe in or in thematic groupings.

https://www.discworldemporium.com/content/6-discworld-reading-order

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dark Lightning

I've been buying them in no particular order, just as I find them at the book store. I'm going to have to order some in, I guess.

xSilverPhinx

Cool. :grin:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to have to wait 7 freakin' hours in an airport soon and thought I might bring some reading material with me.

jumbojak

Color of Magic is really good but my favorite so far is Sourcery. That is an epic little book. You need the opener to make sense of what follows though.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

I do love Pratchett's stories. Another real favorite is Roger Zelazny. If you like fantasy, you can't go wrong with picking up the Amber Chronicles, which is all five books of each protagonist's (father and son) stories. 10 books in total. Don't buy them one at a time.

xSilverPhinx

Is his writing style humorous and witty like Douglas Adams'? He's a real favourite of mine.

jumbojak

I would consider it more over the top than Adams. His stories are similar but a good deal more absurd.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tom62

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 29, 2019, 01:37:04 AM
I do love Pratchett's stories. Another real favorite is Roger Zelazny. If you like fantasy, you can't go wrong with picking up the Amber Chronicles, which is all five books of each protagonist's (father and son) stories. 10 books in total. Don't buy them one at a time.

Roger Zelazny was an awesome writer. If you love short stories than "Frost & Fire" is a must read. The Amber Chronicles, Changeling and Madwand novels, blew my mind away.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 29, 2019, 02:19:09 AM
Is his writing style humorous and witty like Douglas Adams'? He's a real favourite of mine.

Very witty. He also likes his puns and will set one up over a chapter!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Bluenose

I first read TP's books in the order they were published up to that time, then each new one as it was released.  I have re-read many of them several times.   My favourites are The Hogfather, The Last Continent (it's NOT about Australia, Terry says so in the liner notes), The Nightwatch, Witches abroad, basically any of the books with Rincewind, Granny Weatherwax, Sam Vines or the Wizards.  Plus the Tiffany Aitken series, Maurice, Moist von Lipwig and all the others.  Oh, and the Science of Discworld books are great also...  I still haven't read the Shepherd's Crown, I just can't bring myself to the position where I do not have another Discworld book to read...  :(
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Bluenose on May 29, 2019, 09:07:49 AM
I first read TP's books in the order they were published up to that time, then each new one as it was released.  I have re-read many of them several times.   My favourites are The Hogfather, The Last Continent (it's NOT about Australia, Terry says so in the liner notes), The Nightwatch, Witches abroad, basically any of the books with Rincewind, Granny Weatherwax, Sam Vines or the Wizards.  Plus the Tiffany Aitken series, Maurice, Moist von Lipwig and all the others.  Oh, and the Science of Discworld books are great also...  I still haven't read the Shepherd's Crown, I just can't bring myself to the position where I do not have another Discworld book to read... :(

Me too. I have read half of it and can't bring myself to finish it  :sigh:

Tank

You know he had 10 unfinished disc world books when he died  :'(

Bad Penny II

Quote from: jumbojak on May 29, 2019, 02:30:09 AM
I would consider it more over the top than Adams. His stories are similar but a good deal more absurd.

Douglas Adams was pretty over the top, let's join the two headed galactic president in meeting the meat in a restaurant...

Just read them, it isn't vital that you read them in order, you'll catch on.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.