News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Your Favourite News Channels

Started by Dretlin, May 27, 2010, 08:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dretlin

Quote from: "Tanker"Well I'm saying I know for a fact Al jazera reports outright lies as fact and then CNN just re-reported those same lies nearly word for word as thier own. What I should have said instead of biased was they lie instead of report facts when they don't match the party line. Not exagerate, not fib, not generalise, not edit, LIE.

As I said in my post, which you quoted, I make a clear distinction between Al Jazeera and Al Jazeera English. Al Jazeera English is not Al Jazeera with sub titles or dubed, it is a separate body. I could not care less about defending either as only the truth matters. Which I said, in an even earlier post, lays in the place in the middle.

JillSwift

Quote from: "Tank"Was there a time in your opinion as an insider that Journalism was 'adequate'? I'll not suggest perfect because I doubt it ever could have been given the nature of the beast (institutionalised gossip). I agree with the sensationalism though I have witnessed that get worse and worse in my lifetime. So it's the functionality of the processes surrounding news production that is killing Journalism?
No single source could be adequate, but having multiple sources each with their own bias allowed for some mitigation of those biases. As they've become large conglomerates, it's now near impossible to play one source against another. The process itself hasn't changed much, save for the sensationalization (is that a word?), it's just we're missing a key method of correcting for bias.
[size=50]Teleology]

Tank

Quote from: "JillSwift"No single source could be adequate, but having multiple sources each with their own bias allowed for some mitigation of those biases. As they've become large conglomerates, it's now near impossible to play one source against another. The process itself hasn't changed much, save for the sensationalization (is that a word?), it's just we're missing a key method of correcting for bias.

No real independence anymore and corporate money mitigating against radical differences in presentation and outlook. In the UK we may be a little better off as there are laws that prevent one company owning too many media outlets. But the sensationalism in the tabloid press does get worse and worse. I've been a photographer (as a hobby) since '77 and the attitude to a person carrying a camera has changed out of all recognition. 30 years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about photographing kids playing in the street, today I'd probably get reported to the police. That is one area where digital photography has not been a good thing as there is no developing process and the images can be transferred, or simply posted and anybody can see them, but that's a whole new thread.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ultima22689

Surprised no one mentioned MSNBC. I tend to alternate between MSNBC, CNN, BBC on occasion when it's on and of course I peruse the internet for my news.

Asmodean

For news, I go for Al Jazeera ENG, BBC and local NRK. If it's something comtroversial or something that is likely to be distorted depending on the observer, then I go for shotgun approach to news channels.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Big Mac

Quote from: "Dretlin"What is your most watched/favourite news channel?

Currently, I am switching between BBC News and Al Jazeera English - though I am starting to feel the BBC has become a touch bland recently.

Holy shit I read from both of them myself! The only thing they seem to fuck up on is about guns but that is every news outlet. I should bill myself out as a consultant or some shit.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

TheJackel

None of them, they are all full of shit on a regular basis, and full of subliminal programming. Especially when it concerns war, or major world events..