News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Your Favourite News Channels

Started by Dretlin, May 27, 2010, 08:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dretlin

What is your most watched/favourite news channel?

Currently, I am switching between BBC News and Al Jazeera English - though I am starting to feel the BBC has become a touch bland recently.

Davin

I always get a good laugh from Fox News.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

pinkocommie

I'm not a big Youtuber.  I like QualiaSoup http://www.youtube.com/user/QualiaSoup.  His voice is calming.  :)
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Sophus

Well, this one's a program and not a channel but: Democracy Now. It's the most unbiased source I can find. The reporter just reads the facts, they play a little audio or video clip from the event and they move on. Plus she only talks about important events that a lot of stations miss because they're too busy talking about Tiger's wood.  ;)
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

pinkocommie

For some reason I read the OP as asking for people's favorite Youtube channel, not news channel.  Now I feel silly!  Hahaha.   :hide2:
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Tanker

Quote from: "Dretlin"What is your most watched/favourite news channel?

Currently, I am switching between BBC News and Al Jazeera English - though I am starting to feel the BBC has become a touch bland recently.

I can tell you from personal expirience Al Jazeera is an increadably biased news source who will out right change or docter facts, when they bother to find them in the first place, to suit the way the want the world to be instead of how it is. From that same expirience I can say that CNN just re-reports a very wrong Aljazera stories as thier own again with out fact checking.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

JillSwift

[size=50]Teleology]

Cecilie

Well, we only have one news channel in Norway, and we don't have it in my house.
I do watch news on other channels, though. Them being NRK1 and TV2.
The world's what you create.

Tank

Quote from: "JillSwift"Journalism is dead.  :verysad:

That's a rather sweeping statement. Journalism has a history of personal exploitation by people with agenda's. For example Charles Dickens produced his own pamphlet Household Words. It supported his world view, why wouldn't it? For Journalism to have 'died' it would have had to have been 'alive' or in some state different from that which it is now, and was somehow better than it is now. I'm not sure that is the case. Would it be reasonable to say that in general one's opinion of the state of Journalism is proportional to how closely the general trends in Journalism match ones own opinions?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

JillSwift

Quote from: "Tank"

That's a rather sweeping statement. Journalism has a history of personal exploitation by people with agenda's. For example Charles Dickens produced his own pamphlet Household Words. It supported his world view, why wouldn't it? For Journalism to have 'died' it would have had to have been 'alive' or in some state different from that which it is now, and was somehow better than it is now. I'm not sure that is the case. Would it be reasonable to say that in general one's opinion of the state of Journalism is proportional to how closely the general trends in Journalism match ones own opinions?
No.

I derive my opinion from how often mainstream news sources repeat unchecked stories, or generate stories from unchecked facts. I would expect bias-per-organization, and for those biases to differ significantly from organization to organization. Sadly, there are fewer and fewer organizations, they just get larger and have more "arms". Ad revenue has gained too high an influence over what gets page A1, generating a sensationalist attitude in the newsroom that was generally absent a couple of decades ago.

Just my opinion as someone who ran the IT systems at a newspaper for 15 years. YMMV, take with a grain of salt, etc.
[size=50]Teleology]

Dretlin

Quote from: "Tanker"

I can tell you from personal expirience Al Jazeera is an increadably biased news source who will out right change or docter facts, when they bother to find them in the first place, to suit the way the want the world to be instead of how it is. From that same expirience I can say that CNN just re-reports a very wrong Aljazera stories as thier own again with out fact checking.

I have noticed a, frankly frightening, difference between Al Jazeera English and the main broadcaster Al Jazeera. I do not take any news broadcaster at face value.

I did however find Al Jazeera English to have a perspective that I had not considered, aslong as its taken, with a pinch of salt. As clearly, for all to see, it leans toward than Arabic bias.

I do however like CNN as well.

curiosityandthecat

I find The Onion to be a reputable news outlet. Their stories are always poignant, timely and boast a considerable level of journalistic integrity. You never get those outlandish and obviously biased stories like you get on something like, I dunno, the BBC.  lol
-Curio

Tank

Quote from: "JillSwift"
Quote from: "Tank"

No.

I derive my opinion from how often mainstream news sources repeat unchecked stories, or generate stories from unchecked facts. I would expect bias-per-organization, and for those biases to differ significantly from organization to organization. Sadly, there are fewer and fewer organizations, they just get larger and have more "arms". Ad revenue has gained too high an influence over what gets page A1, generating a sensationalist attitude in the newsroom that was generally absent a couple of decades ago.

Just my opinion as someone who ran the IT systems at a newspaper for 15 years. YMMV, take with a grain of salt, etc.

Was there a time in your opinion as an insider that Journalism was 'adequate'? I'll not suggest perfect because I doubt it ever could have been given the nature of the beast (institutionalised gossip). I agree with the sensationalism though I have witnessed that get worse and worse in my lifetime. So it's the functionality of the processes surrounding news production that is killing Journalism?

Tanker

Quote from: "Dretlin"
Quote from: "Tanker"

I have noticed a, frankly frightening, difference between Al Jazeera English and the main broadcaster Al Jazeera. I do not take any news broadcaster at face value.

I did however find Al Jazeera English to have a perspective that I had not considered, aslong as its taken, with a pinch of salt. As clearly, for all to see, it leans toward than Arabic bias.

I do however like CNN as well.

Well I'm saying I know for a fact Al jazera reports outright lies as fact and then CNN just re-reported those same lies nearly word for word as thier own. What I should have said instead of biased was they lie instead of report facts when they don't match the party line. Not exagerate, not fib, not generalise, not edit, LIE.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.